Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
AFAIK Fitting LAN's eprom should convert it to a 92 ECU, so shouldn't be any problem with the sensor.
Not correct. LAN's chip only modifies the fuel timing and knock correction as far as I know. He does not access any other parameters such as the EGR temp sensor. i install a 94 ECU into my car with a ECUtune chip and I still got the CEL. i installed the 92 ECu with the same chip and got rid of it. There is no wiring or a sensor in the circuit on the 92's

Tom
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
it sounds like you have quite a rare ECU there! my wife had a 6/91 build with a rom socket soldered in. Very interesting to hear they used something different for one month of production. I'm also surprised this is the first we've ever heard of it. Don't lose it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Graphic Artist

Well sir, if things don't go as planned at the salvage yard, I'll ship you a spare for 30 bucks.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Not correct. LAN's chip only modifies the fuel timing and knock correction as far as I know. He does not access any other parameters such as the EGR temp sensor. i install a 94 ECU into my car with a ECUtune chip and I still got the CEL. i installed the 92 ECu with the same chip and got rid of it. There is no wiring or a sensor in the circuit on the 92's

Tom
Actually, I have to question you on this one. When you cut the resistor on the ECU, the ECU ceases to read from any internal memory. Every bit of information for all engine function comes from the socket once the resistor is no longer there. LAN's code is based on a 1992 ECU, so it should have all the same functionality as a 1992 ECU (except for anything that LAN edited). I believe that's what Phil was referring to.

Maybe there was a wiring difference in the harness causing the CEL?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Maniac modifier

no... I am sure Mike copied everything from his 94. But as far as I know he is only tampering with the maps while everyhting is still a function of the ECU itself. i could be wrong though

Tom
Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
no... I am sure Mike copied everything from his 94. But as far as I know he is only tampering with the maps while everyhting is still a function of the ECU itself. i could be wrong though

Tom
I just wonder how that's possible. But for that I'd have to know more about what exactly changes when you cut the resistor at location J1.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Maniac modifier

that would probobly be the answer to the questions since Mike wouldn't tap into the IAC circuit at my request either

Tom
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:

Tom

He alkso tweaks the timing around some. But I believe your correct about all the other stuff. I know I still have the speed cut off on mine. Not that it really matters when your gear ratio puts you at redline when you get to that speed.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Phil & Belha

As I understand it, when you cut the resistor, the internal ROM is totally disabled and the ECU uses the external ROM. LAN's ROM is a copy of the Subaru ROM with some changes made to the fuel and timing maps and the constants (rev limiter etc). I thought he based it on a 92 rom, but maybe it was a 94.
I can't explain your observations. As far as I know, the original year of the ECU should be irrelevant because its code is completely replaced by the code on LAN's ROM.

Regarding the USDM 94+ speed limiter. I can see the 180km/h limiter in my JDM ROMS and I would expect the USDM limiter to work in the same way. However, I cannot find any deliberate speed limiting in the 94 USDM ROM that UPnorth362 sent me. The only suggestion I can make in this regard is that perhaps it is a bug rather than a feature. ie. a variable maxing out or dropping off the end of a map.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Formerly known as broyles

Picked up replacement ECU, (twice, the first one was wrong part number) and installed as simply as it was designed to be.
thanks for all the support.