How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
My point is, the IRIS isn't SUPPOSED to have oil in it. Nor is there supposed to be oil ANYWHERE in the intake tract. Like I said before, oil in the intake wreaks HAVOC on the vacuum system.
Follow your PCV hose back from the block, Wherever it connects to the intake, there's supposed to be a filter, That's what stops the oil from going into the intake. To get this fixed permanently you need to get the oil stopped.
If all your vacuum lines are grimy inside, you may need to use compressed air to blow them out , one at a time. That, or replace them.

What you describe, as far as symptoms, sounds like you either have too much fuel @ idle, or not enough air. Sniff your exhaust @ idle, does it smell like raw gas? If so your fuel pressure regulator may need a new vacuum line, or cleaned out.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Driving in Style

It is definitely NOT the iris valve, that never sees any oil, it could be something UNDER the iris, but not the iris itself. The copper thing is probably your problem, the IRIS valve is not copper, it is competely contained in the intake manifold as I understand it.

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM

hmm well the pcv tube goes back to an F fitting , i dont see any filter... i dont know what one would look like though, and yes when ever i start my car it smells like raw fuel..... could u post a pic of what the fpr looks like, theres 2 diffrent fpr looking devices right next to eachother, one has a connection to the exhuast manifold.... is it safe to use TB cleaner on any vacum line sitll attached and even use it on my fpr?? hey thanks for the help man
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM

sd you are correct, the copper thing looks like a fpr.... and its right near my driver side knock sensor but on-top...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm...Wonder if seafoam would help clean some of the gunk out the vacuume system....Where would be a good place to let it suck the seafoam in that it'd actually run through vacuume lines?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 PM

ive been using TB cleaner...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
IMHO compressed air is the best solution to cleaning the lines.
I don't think the TB cleaner would do any short term damage. My solution would be to replace as many of the "plain" vacuum lines as possible with new lines. the molded lines I'd clean with the tb cleaner, or seafoam.
The vacuum devices I'd use seafoam on, as the TB would be kind of harsh on the diaphragms.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.