How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
SVX Jihad

Send a message via AIM to louis Send a message via MSN to louis Send a message via Yahoo to louis
Should I buy it or shouldn't I?

Maroon Subaru SVX LSL '92 awd with 140k miles. Rotors and transmission replaced after 10k miles. Power steering fluid leak between the rack and column (shaft?) of the power steering system. It'll also need a new set of tires for the winter.

looks great. drives like a charm. want to buy it as my first car. 2500. What do you guys think?

I appreciate your input because I'd like to buy it by the end of the week.

Louis
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you buy it, you just need to know that they do require maintenance and cost some to keep up. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
It's a fun car, turns heads, and is functional for year-round driving. Just be sure you know what your getting into before doing so, as small problems can cost big money to fix, where-as on another car, the same problem can be half, or even a quarter as much the cost as it is on the SVX. Eventually you'll get the bug, plan out the next $10,000 you plan to invest in your car, and accept it as your very own money pit that will never be the best handler, or the best with speed, or the best in comfort, but will be damned close to the top of all three categories.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
the svx is a great car...but not such a great first car, unless you are good at sourcing your own parts, and have a tool set and arent afraid to dive into the mechanic work yourself. otherwise, repairs and matinece could get expensive.

Other than that though, its not bad. They are safe, fun, great for long trips, and go just fast enough to smile. They have an intesting history, and are certinly destinguished from the usual crowd.A very well balenced car...probably the best you can get for the money

As for that particular exact car...the power steering leak is gonna be a pita to fix, but it's probably jsut a bad seal or o-ring...If the body checks out, the engine runs smooth, and the tranny shifts great, you are probably on to a decent deal. Read the how-to documents for a list of things to look for when svx shopping, common problems, fixes, ect., and welcome to the boards
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 PM
SVX Jihad

Send a message via AIM to louis Send a message via MSN to louis Send a message via Yahoo to louis
I'm a sucker for internet communities, and you guys seem to have built a very nice one. For a car of which there's only 14,000 ever introduced to the United States, what I see is an extremely dedicated community that would most likely come to my aid if I were to purchase the car.

First of all, do you guys think this is a good price? I haven't done a CarFax and I posted it in the VinCheck forum, I might spring for an account though. If so, I'll probably get the unlimited and take requests for the next month.

I'm not sure what I mean by "a pita" to fix. Easy or hard? I'm interested in getting my own tools to work on it myself, as I'm pretty handy, although I live on my own and don't have a garage. What's a decent toolset run do work on cars like these? Let me guess -- over $2500?

But anyway...I'm still thinking of buying it, but I'd like your guys' advice. I think if I sink a little money into this car it's probably worth a lot more than what I'll end up paying, which was, as I said, $2500.

So, what do you guys think? Y/n? I'll take the SVX fetish perpsective, and the real life perspective as well.

Louis
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Compared to my old car (a 1991 Legacy), the SVX is a bit harder to work on only because of there being less room in the engine bay to do maintenance. If you're familiar with Subaru's on any level, you'll know that they're pretty easy to work on anyways. Most things can be done with a set of rachets and a little bit of knowledge about what you're doing.

Yes, the parts for them can be rather expensive (noticeably more expensive than Legacy parts), but replacement of them usually isn't too tricky (although, I still don't know how in the world I'm going to do spark plugs).

I just bought an SVX as my first own car (one that I own that is to say), and it has about 30k more miles than that one and is a 1995. It has the typical leaks of an older car, but I find that most Subarus leak where this one does anyways, so I'm not too worried about it. The engine is extremely reliable as it is based on the legendary EJ22 motor that came in the Legacy from 1990-1996 (after that, the engine changed a little).

Just beware that the car takes premium gas and will be more costly to insure than the average vehicle - especially if you're under 25 like I am. I would recommend getting comprehensive glass coverage because replacing glass on these things can be extremely expensive.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
(although, I still don't know how in the world I'm going to do spark plugs).
This "How To" was a big help to me.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14266
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I love my SVX and have had it for 14 years, but I'd be cautions about getting one as a first car. A typical dealer service usually runs $300 plus, After market parts are rare, waiting for parts from Subaru is not uncommon and knowledgeable service people who know how to work on them are hard to find, even at Subaru dealerships. It's not the kind of car you want roll in to the local Walmart service bay. In short, if you have a problem expect to be out of a drive for a while and pay a premium to get it back on the road.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 AM

I don't believe an SVX is a good choice for a first car, unless you are a very responsible driver and have the means to keep the car in top condition. And please be aware that it's a long-legged touring car, not a red-light racer. If you're looking for tire-smoking launches, there are minivans that will blow you into the weeds.

I love mine, drive each several times per week and have never been left stranded; the first measure of reliability in my book. But my wish list for getting them into top shape seems to stay just in stride with my budget, and that situation's only going to worsen with age. In fact, I bought the second primarily to have backup transport (or an emergency parts source) when one goes down.

dcb
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I bought one with less miles than yours, but that had quite frankly been beaten on. The brake rotors and transmission had been replaced properly, and the mechanic I bought the car from replaced the wheel bearings and fixed the exhaust for me as well. I then had to go ahead and fix a bunch of other random things wrong with the car, barely managing on my income.

Since fixing the first things wrong with the car it has been reliable. I'm always wary of something else going wrong, and I know there are still plenty of parts that do need replacing sometime. To be honest, I don't really have the budget to handle this car, and am cruising on the hopes that it'll be reliable until I do.

Like Manarius, the SVX was the first car I've ever owned myself, with my last car being a hand-me-down paid for by my parents (coincidentally a 1990 Legacy). I'm trying to take as good care of it as I can.

But realize that the costs will add up quickly if there is something you've overlooked. This community is wonderful because they know just about anything there is to know about the car, and because you can usually find replacement parts you need cheaper than a dealer. As you said, it's a wonderful online community.

But it's a rare car with some common problems. The one you'll be buying is also high-mileage. If you're prepared to make some sacrifices and watch as your budget dwindles... I'd say go ahead. If you know what to expect and are up to the task, go for it.

If not... there are plenty of Hondas that would make great daily drivers?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
SVX Jihad

Thank you for all your help, guys. You've been wonderful. I've decided to purchase it, so it should be mine by saturday.

Once again, I'm truly thankful that you guys were so prompt and helpful with your responses. I look forward to being a more active member of your community.

I'll get some plates on it, fix the leak, get a new set of tires (what do you guys recommend for snowy NY winters?) and we'll be golden.

Louis
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM

welcome!
you will love it!!!

My Locker

Bart
Old 09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
SVX Jihad

So, what winter/snow tires do you guys recommend? Also, is anyone in possession of a CarFa x account to check the vin right now? I'll probably buy it without because this guy's been so forthcoming...

but I'd still like to check if I can do so without paying.

Once again, you guys are awesome. Thanks!
Louis
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 AM

Check the CarFax Requests forum. And a search will probably give you a range of opinions on snow tires. Good luck with the car.

dcb
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
This is probably the most active forum I've ever been on. Heaven forbid you to not check in every day...otherwise you miss a lot.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Claret.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)