How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM
SVXtreme

ABS trouble codes

My ABS works for a while and then the light comes on. How do I check the ABS codes?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 PM

My ABS light just came on as I was driving home from work, so I need the answer too! According to the owner's manuel, I still have regular brakes, and so can continue to drive until I figure this out?? As I'm working split shifts for the next few days, I need to drive...
Cyn

Okay. Did a search and found: "the ABS module is under the pass side seat... There is a small flap next to the outter seat rail which you can peal up... From there you will see an LED on the module. Turn the key on and count the blinks... Check earthworm's site for more info" posted by TomSVX

89 Chevy Sprint (for when my baby's in the shop)
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt

Last edited by Cynic; 09-01-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Found info
Old 09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
SVXtreme

alright I figured it out. I found this info on the svx-iw.com site.

How to Check ABS Trouble Codes
Author: FSM

The "ABS" instrument panel light indicates the existance of an ABS code(s). However, it does not indicate the code(s) itself. There is an LED on the ABS control unit (located under the right front seat) that will indicate the detected code. Unlike the other codes the ABS control unit will blink the exact code. There is no long/short blink.
The following self diagnosis will show any fault codes for the engine:
Drive the vehicle at speeds greater then 30kph/19mph for at least one minute. The vehicle must be stopped with the engine running.
If a problem is detected the ABS warning light in the instrument panel will come on. Approximately 5 - 12 seconds after the warning light has come on, the ABS control unit LED will flash the error code.

Note: Both the warning light and the LED remain activated unless the ignition is turned off. Turning the ignition off will erase any codes stored in memory.

Note: Only one trouble code is displayed at a time. If multiple problems exist only the first problem detected is displayed.
List of ABS Trouble Codes
Trouble Code Contents of diagnosis
0 (LED off) Improper power line voltage or faulty harness
1 Broken or shorted solenoid valve circuit(s) in hydraulic unit Left front wheel control
2 Right front wheel control
3 Right rear wheel control
4 Left rear wheel control
5 Faulty wheel ABS sensor Left front wheel speed
6 Right front wheel speed
7 Right rear wheel speed
8 Left rear wheel speed
9 Faulty motor and/or motor relay or broken or shorted harness circuit
10 Faulty valve relay or broken or shorted harness circuit
Faulty valve relay or broken or shorted harness, or interrupted ABS (causing brakes to function as a conventional brake system)
Unidentified fault that is not equivalent to trouble codes 1 - 16
16 Faulty ABS control unit or broken or shorted harness circuit
Faulty ABS control unit or broken or shorted harness, or malfunctioning system or line unidentified by vehicle ABS sensor fail-safe function
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM
SVXtreme

My code is 8 blinks, meaning left rear wheel speed sensor. Anybody ever have to change one of these out? I have no clue where to start.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Registered SVX
left wheel abs sensor

it is located behind the backside of the hub assembly towards the bottom. you need to have the tire off to be able to get to it somewhat easily. it is held in by a 12mm bolt , you might need to pull the caliper and rotor to be able to push/pry it out of its hole. on mine it was a great pain in the a** to get out as it is held in very tightly by the hub assembly . it is behind the tone ring looking like a slotted bolt (without the threads) poking through the hub. the other end of the wire pokes in behind the wheel well. Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 PM
SVXtreme

I need to find the part before I replace it. The only way I see of getting one is by going to subaru and ordering it. It's probably going to be expensive...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Registered SVX
hey sir nate pm with your zip code I happen to have a rear left side from a set of hardly used ones for a small fee to be settled upon and shipping i can sell you one cheaper than the dealer. I have a contact at subaru and will find out what a new will cost and i promise it will be less than what they charge. I bought the set of four off ebay from a 97 svx w/22000 miles it was totaled ( and before the people come all up in arms about parting one out it WAS a bad hit they were rear ended which pushed it into the back of a semi and was hit in the passenger door by a person rubbernecking at the accident) i saw the vehicle