How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Transmission removal

Well i am well underway to having removed my transmission from the 92 black svx i picked up last april, with the help from this board and the factory service manual the job is more than doable. that being said i have a couple of questions...

1) For those that removed their transmission with the car jacked up (without a lift), what did you use to get enough clearance to remove the transmission...even with my jack stands completely extended there still isn't enough room

2) What do you all use to support the engine while removing the transmission..the FSM's refer to a special tool, was wondering what you guys have used

3) Before removing the transmission the car actually drove, although it did not go in reverse...when the car was on jacks the rear wheels did not move i thought it may have been because something in the transmission was seized, i have since removed the drive shaft and the rear wheels are still locked...is my rear differential seized? Or is that normal?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Release the E-Brake, that's what's keeping your rear wheels from turning

Try sliding your tranny out near teh wheel opening (assuming youo have the front wheels off)

If still not enough room, jack it up some, and put boards under the jack stands to raise it up some more, or get bigger jack stands.

As for supporting the engine, I let it support itself, but when re-installing the tranny, you'll ned to jack the front of the motor up a little to get it to line up with the tranny.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Well i am well underway to having removed my transmission from the 92 black svx i picked up last april, with the help from this board and the factory service manual the job is more than doable. that being said i have a couple of questions...

3) Before removing the transmission the car actually drove, although it did not go in reverse...when the car was on jacks the rear wheels did not move i thought it may have been because something in the transmission was seized, i have since removed the drive shaft and the rear wheels are still locked...is my rear differential seized? Or is that normal?
The rear section should not be locked as you describe. Before assuming faults within the differential you should make sure no brakes are binding, including the hand brake. Also be sure there is no other external obstruction.

All of this will know doubt have been checked and if so please excuse, but reinforcement of possibilities will not go amiss.

Have you given thought that, what you have discovered, could be allied to whatever were your transmission problems?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:18 PM

thanks for the tips guys, when the car was running i would put the car in reverse and it would not budge, wheels off the ground they still would not turn (rear). the e-brake is not one, however it is in park. But when i had the car on the ground and tried to roll the car back in neutral the car still would not budge...

I guess it could be a whole slew of things at this point....seized rear differential, seized brakes, hub problems?

But at the very least with the drive shaft removed the rear wheels should turn right?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM

huck, but if you leave the engine to support itself, won't the engine shift fowards once i remove the transmission? I'd be leary of doing that especially since the car is on jack stands and that would be a be of a thrust...could possibly topple the car off the jack stands no?
Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
huck, but if you leave the engine to support itself, won't the engine shift fowards once i remove the transmission? I'd be leary of doing that especially since the car is on jack stands and that would be a be of a thrust...could possibly topple the car off the jack stands no?
It won't move much, but if you're worried about it, wedge a 2x4 under the front of the motor to the ground to support it.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 PM

Get some of the 6-ton jackstands that Harbor Freight Tools usually has on sale for less than $20 a pair-- plenty of carrying capacity and I believe they will extend up to 21". That's what I used when I pulled my tranny. I'd recommend their $50 transmission jack, too. Getting the tranny out is easy with the aid of gravity (!) but getting it back in and lined up properly is TONS easier with a transmission jack. Don't worry too much about the engine shifting forward. I think I put a scissors jack on top of a cinder block and braced it against the front main pulley, but it's not really a huge deal.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner