Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 10-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I have some if you want me to check it out. Hocrest has some splines out of some junk trannys I think.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo

I disassembled the AWD clutch pack and drilled a handful of holes in all the disks except for the very top and bottom ones. I installed the disks and inserted metal dowels in the holes to keep the disks from slipping. I then ground the teeth off the drive gear which feeds power to the front differential. To complete the recipe, assemble, wave a magic wand, and viola: RWD.
The part im still fuzzy on is do you put dowels in all of the friction material discs? If so im assuming the top and the bottom ones are just the metal discs?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse
The part im still fuzzy on is do you put dowels in all of the friction material discs? If so im assuming the top and the bottom ones are just the metal discs?
There is a metal disk between each friction disk, the dowels go though them all, to basically make them a solid unit, with zero give...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM
SVX Appeal

The clutch pack is a pancake stack of about a dozen disks, alternating friction disks against plain metal disks. The friction disks are attached to the input shaft by splines on the inside. The plain metal disks are attached to the output shaft by splines on the outside. When the clutch slips, the disks move at different speeds. If you pound some nails (dowels) into this stack of pancakes, they all move together at the same speed. As long as at least one disk from each (input and output) is pinned with a dowel, any disks without a dowel will still move together since it's splined to its buddies. The disks on the ends have no dowel holes simply to keep the dowels from falling out.

See the green #3 in the picture? I just drilled a hole right where that row of green dots is.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
so how exactly does drilling a hole through the clutches and not the friction materials allow for it to lock?? It just keeps them allign but still allows the materials to slip....

Tom
Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
word words wording

thats so.. I need to find another car ...It makes sense now. Thanks for the breakdown.

Tom: The clutch pack is a pancake stack of about a dozen disks, alternating friction disks against plain metal disks. The friction disks are attached to the input shaft by splines on the inside. The plain metal disks are attached to the output shaft by splines on the outside.

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click

Last edited by SomethingElse; 10-31-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Listen, I understand exactly how the clutches work and how to lock them up... I would like to know how he went about it... The only way to lock them is to drill through the friction materials and the clutches and drive dowels through all of them... This is my point and maybe this is getting back to why he cannot do a very good burnout. Maybe you are only slipping those clutches if they are put together the way I think they are

Tom
Old 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
SVX Appeal

Both the friction disks and plain metal disks have holes, and the dowels go through all of them. There is no slippage.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Maniac modifier

ok... just that thr crude example left me to believe you only hit the clutches

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 11:39 AM

d-walk

how does the svx drift with this?

i know that i have done some sketchy drifts with mine, but awd on pavement, (likely due to a disconnected front sway bar)
with the awd though, when you line back up the regaining of traction whips the whole car back onto the 'rail' it feels like it slid off of...

this would be badass with the r-180 and a 5/6 speed (getting it to lock up would be more than just dowels tho ).... the svx would be a drift machine....

(the ebrake handle is a bit clunky for the quick pulls sometimes tho )

good work though... sounds like fun!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Maniac modifier

if I ever get a 3rd SVX or I get another daily fully expect a RWD 5mt out of me

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
word words wording

Im trading my title less red fwd, for a busted front diff, bondo infested rear quarter, pearly with oil leaks. I also found a 4.44 rear end close by for 150. soon as I get the RWD workin and the gears done unplug the abs Got a spare set of tires I want to pop...A guy at my work swears his nissan 240 is the best drifting machine ever.....I cant wait till we runum

Last edited by SomethingElse; 11-07-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
SVX Appeal

The slushbox makes drifting and any other tire-smoking activities a bit difficult. In low gear, it doesn't have too much trouble getting the tires to spin, but as soon as they start turning, they spin way up and the transmission shifts to the next gear, which promptly reduces wheel spin. If you try to modulate the throttle, it shifts even sooner. I have all my shift solenoid control wires readily accessible, so I'm thinking about putting in a switch that locks it in first. I should be able to modulate the throttle, and at worst it could just bounce off the rev limiter. It would be much better with a manual transmission.

Also, the SVX is pretty chunky in the rear, and although it has a pretty respectable motor, it's not powerful enough to keep up with a typical American muscle car. It took me a while to get used to AWD drifts where very little if any steering input is required. I'm having to relearn countersteering, and the SVX seems to require more aggressive input than other RWD cars. It's hard to maintain a smooth and constant drift, partly due to the limited power and speed, but if you take your foot off the gas it hooks right back up again.

Last week I did some experimenting with the ABS. If the brake pedal is applied enough to turn on the brake lights, it'll trigger the ABS. I found a steep hill and tried to go up it with the tires smoking.

The first thing the ABS does is apply the rear brakes. This seems like a traction control characteristic. I'm not sure why it does it. It only takes about a second to apply the rear brakes, but it takes about five seconds before it applies them hard enough to stop the wheels from spinning. After about two seconds, it releases the front brakes. It's kinda scary to think that the automatic braking controls will allow a completely stopped car to start moving, but that's exactly what they do.

I unplugged the ABS fuse, and I've been loving it. The transmission still kills the joy of a really glorious extended burnout, but brake stands are possible without the ABS. Also, J-turns, spins, slides, etc., are now completely doable. I wish I'd disabled it long ago. It's gotten me in trouble several times, but it's yet to help me even once. (Sliding sideways down the center of the road with the brakes locked up is far preferable to rolling with the ABS right off the side and into a ditch.) Of course, I'm not your typical driver.

The rear differential appears to have no limited slip characteristics whatsoever. I'm disappointed with it. Heavier wheels would have some inertia to help prevent differential speeds and also to help make modulating wheel speed easier. Some of those hefty Mitsubishi would be nice, but I like my ride quality. I wonder if it's possible to tighten up the differential. Does anyone know?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Also, the SVX is pretty chunky in the rear, and although it has a pretty respectable motor, it's not powerful enough to keep up with a typical American muscle car.

I'm guessing that a 68ish Cuda wouldn't be considered a typical American muscle car then as Dave smoked a very well put together stripped out version at Grassroots by a tenth of a second.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 PM
word words wording

I think the rear brakes apply becuase you have the pedal depressed and the abs module senses the rear wheels are spinning faster than the front. Does a Manual tranny have the same type of setup as far as the gear you can grind teeth off of? Ive tried the sideway slide thing a couple times too ...im just glad there was no oncoming traffic