Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-01-2006, 01:29 PM

GRINDINGZZZ Sound @ 5kRPM REV

Well, my tranny makes a pretty nasty grind sound- sounds like (zzzzzhhs) when I rev my engine to about 4-5k in neutral. This sound is also present when the car accelerates rather quickly and revs to around 4. Sometimes it sounds like spinning tires. The tranny shifts fine from what I can tell other than these weird noises. What do you guys think this is? Tranny filter? Also, when driving sound the highway I hear a faint version of this around 2200 rpm in 4th gear. Any ideas? My dealer warranty is up in a few months, so if it is something serious I want to get it fixed now. Is this the white flag sign of the tranny? Lately I have been driving it twice a day five times a week for school about 3 miles each way. Also, the stereo fades out randomly, could this be bad spark plugs? I have no idea but I'm sure you guys do. Thanks.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
If the grinding noise you speak of is coming (when your inside the car) from around the handbrake area, its probably a heat shield, ive told many how to do this so here is the pic and instructions, cheak it out for your self!

I drive my car at leased five days a week 40 - 60 kms each way, never skips a beat, so 3miles is nothing

As for the stero fading out randomly, sounds like a bad accessories connection, or even ground or constant, check em and see, however i might be wrong

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 PM

hey JJ if the car makes the noise when he is in neutral reving the motor it wouldnt be what you posted...the car would have to be moving for the drive shaft to scrape. But it could still be a heat shield... most likly on the cats. You should get under your car when it is not hot....hit the exhaust with a rubber mallet or your palm (a regular hammer would make noise that would make it hard to hear the problem) and wotk your way down the exhaust hitting it..youll know it when you find it...you can use large hose clamps to strap it tight or just remove it...what ever is easyer for you.. hope this helps you...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
check the heat sheilds on the exhaust they are probobly rattling

Tom
Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Usually when the driveshaft touches the heat shield, it means that you need new tranny mounts, isn't it?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.