Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
You need the chip to run the Z32 MAF. It is definately worth your money. I highly suggest waiting to get the chip until LAN releases the stage 2v6 in it's final run... Trust me, just wait for it

Tom
Its not out yet.. good thing! Now I don't feel like I'm slacking as much.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I started pulling stuff off today. I will have to take the heads off as I want to put in the deltacam intake cams. Dunno when exactly that will happen. Again is there anybody that would have any input as to what profile cam lobes I should have based on what I plan on running? Harvey??
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
What were the specs on your porting? how much for the intake and how much for the exhaust?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sicksubie,

Looks like you've been watching SVXFiles and my posts Port matching the intake - injector stacks - heads does wonders (using the phenolic spacers as your templates). The intake can also use some work where the TB attaches - general smoothing of surfaces. Since you want a good mixing of the intake flow, you can probably pass on polishing the intake runners and save your polishing efforts for the exhaust ports.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Sicksubie,

Looks like you've been watching SVXFiles and my posts Port matching the intake - injector stacks - heads does wonders (using the phenolic spacers as your templates). The intake can also use some work where the TB attaches - general smoothing of surfaces. Since you want a good mixing of the intake flow, you can probably pass on polishing the intake runners and save your polishing efforts for the exhaust ports.

-Bill
yep you got it. Thanks for everything.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Why exactly are you taking the heads off?? You can do the cams in the car with the head on, just the valve covers need to come off

Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
if you are interested to ease your worries i would be willing to sell you a replica of the turboheaders, downpipe, and intercooler piping that i have on my car. I am in need of some extra cash.
phil
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM

that was a slip-up. I am NOT taking the heads off but like you said just the valve covers. I just removed the plenum and TBs. Now I'm making a quick trip to Lowes to get the stuff to port and polish the stacks, which I will be removing later today or tomorrow. My afternoon now consists of swapping a tranny on my truck which needs to be done ASAP. I also have to order the phenolic spacers to use as guides for the porting.

Phil,
that would rock if you could do that. As long as it is not some ridiculously high amount (fellow college student here don't forget) of $$$$$. PM me with a price and I will see if I can afford it now. Will the flanges mount up to a garrett gt35r though?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Phil,
that would rock if you could do that. As long as it is not some ridiculously high amount (fellow college student here don't forget) of $$$$$. PM me with a price and I will see if I can afford it now. Will the flanges mount up to a garrett gt35r though?[/QUOTE]

I dont know what you consider to be rediculously high amount but its about 2 full days worth of tig'ing alone, and the stainless is a few hundred cost alone. I cant imagine a shop would do this for you for less then 2 grand.
GT35rs use a t3 flange so yes it will fit. I can put any flang o nthere you'd like.
phil
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 PM

So would the replica be welded already or just cut and I would have to find someone to do the welding. I would prefer the latter cuz it'll be way cheaper for shipping unassembled pieces and I can get the welding done by a friend.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 PM

Also, can someone set the record straight for me? I always believed that you needed a TIG welder for SS. Someone said on here ( i can't find it now) that you do not. Is that true?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-01-2006, 09:45 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

you can mig stainless, but if you mig your header it will crack in a very short period of time.Its aluminum that you cannont tig. Easy way to see if you can mig something is to put a magnet to it. But remember MIG welding shoots all the impurities into hte weld joint, wherass TIG is a clean strong weld.
I could send you the unassembled pieces but i dont see how that much benefits you since it needs to be lined up perfectly, and im not sending you the pieces, unless you are confident that you have someone to fit, spotweld, and then finish weld them once they have been tested onto the car. Also, i dont trust someone elses welding as its very easy to cause a pull in the header, especially with as much gap welding as necciasary. mig'ing a turbo collecter is not an option sorry.
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 09-01-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 PM

well after a long day of fighting with the transmission in my truck I'm beat. I removed the TB, plenum, and stacks. I ordered the spacers and once they come in I will polish and port as needed to match them. The head is not going to be touched for now. My goal this winter is not necessarily getting the turbo completed but rather getting the port/polish done, getting the stage 2 v6 ECu from lan, the spacers from Outlaw, the intake cams, doing the TB mod, and assemblying all of that. Then drive it for a little bit while monitoring it to make sure everything is working perfectly. That way when I start the turbo in the spring maybe I will know what base ###'s I am starting the project with.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If I were you... I would get the down pipe and all the other Piping from Phil now in order to take advantage of this opportunity. I also offered to weld up X-members for anyone who wanted them... I did it for a little while but then realized it was not time wise to keep doing it. So, take advantage of it now if I were you

Tom
Old 09-02-2006, 11:53 AM

Well, If I can get 1 more roofing job this semester before it gets too cold I will take the piping and the crossmember. Let me see what I can do to get another one.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: