Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 05:11 AM

Sorry Harv

Sorry guys,
I am just used to things not going my way, just needed someone to slap me to get my mind back. Steve
Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM

relay

Try checking the relay. It is easy to pop out and check with a voltmeter. You know you are'nt getting fuel. So it is either power to the pump or the pump itself. You don't need to check the injectors. If they are not getting fuel, they are most likely OK.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 PM

Relay

Ok,
I pulled the relay and tested the feed wires on the connector. Only one tested live and it tested live all the time. No other wires got juice in any key position. I jumpered the larger wires together and the fuel pump kicks on and runs, pressurizing the rails. Where do the two smaller wires that plug into the relay come from? Do they receive power from the ECU or what? Good thing I did not buy a new relay, thanks guys. Any ideas? Steve
Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
Ok,
I pulled the relay and tested the feed wires on the connector. Only one tested live and it tested live all the time. No other wires got juice in any key position. I jumpered the larger wires together and the fuel pump kicks on and runs, pressurizing the rails. Where do the two smaller wires that plug into the relay come from? Do they receive power from the ECU or what? Good thing I did not buy a new relay, thanks guys. Any ideas? Steve
Well actually the relay may be bad. The relay recieves a signal from the ecu (the two small wires). One I believe goes to ground. Check those wires. You need to check them quick after you turn the key, as the fuel pump shuts down after a time if the engine does not kick on. If the ecu is sending a signal then it is the relay. If it's the ECU, then I would suggest taking it to subaru to make sure, before replacing it. They are expensive. Most likely it is just the relay.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
why not do this logically... You are not getting fuel. Start at the first point fuel comes from... The fuel pump. Take a 12v. test light and test the pump while someone turns the ign. on to see if it is getting power... If not, trace the problem from the pump all the way back to the battery. This is your best bet instead of taking random stabs at it and not really getting anywhere

Tom
Old 09-12-2006, 05:24 PM

Registered SVX
What Tom says.

Look back through my posts...I suggested the same thing ages ago.

Be methodical and structured...shotgun approach does not work.

M
Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Relay

I thought doing what I did proved that the wiring from the battery to the fuel pump is fine...It is either the relay or the relay signal that seems wrong, because when I connect the two large wires going into the relay the fuel pump kicks on and pumps away. I'm sorry for the confusion guys, I'm just frustrated with my car...It's a love/hate relationship ..Steve
Old 09-13-2006, 07:35 AM

Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohopirates
I thought doing what I did proved that the wiring from the battery to the fuel pump is fine...It is either the relay or the relay signal that seems wrong, because when I connect the two large wires going into the relay the fuel pump kicks on and pumps away. I'm sorry for the confusion guys, I'm just frustrated with my car...It's a love/hate relationship ..Steve
Yes. You are correct. You proved the pump works. And you are right, it is either the relay or the relay signal that is a problem. Good job jumpering the connection to the pump. Now just check the signal wires. If they work, then you just have to replace the relay. If you don't have access to a stock part, you could get a relay at autozone (or a local generic autoparts store). It just may not fit the way the stock relay fits. But at least you would be on the road.