How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM

Are Rear Struts Interchangable?

Is it possible for them to be used on either side?

Just had all new struts and mounts put on my SVX. It has been aligned. There is a squeak in the rear passenger strut when the car is pushed down at that location. As of now, it is the only noise noticed. Upon forum research and view of relavent pics and my cars rear components, it seems that the shop has placed the left strut mount on the right strut and the right strut mount on the left strut. Consequently, the struts were placed on the wrong side of the car, reversing the struts and the brake line attachments on each and possibly effecting the suspension geometry in other ways. So.......

Could this cause the said squeak?

Should I redo the installation correctly?

Do you think that performing the silicon based lubrication on the rear link bushings would help?

If I am to redo the installation, correctly myself, where do I get the flat-sided 17 mm deep socket mentioned in the How-To write up.

THANK YOU for your time and assistance,

Jeff

Last edited by daluvabull; 07-28-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yes the struts are different as they have different part numbers. I would look towards the bushings before the struts as the cause of the noise.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Only difference in the struts are the tabs for holding the brake line on otherwise they are the same. The mounts however are different for each side and definately will cause you issues. I'd be taking it back to whomever did it wrong (unless it was you). I would doubt that would be causing your squeak unless they didn't put one of the rubber cusions back on right and you have metal on metal.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM

I was intially charged $42 to have the new struts changed out. The upper strut nut was rusted- I could not break it free. When received, the mounts were not aligned- they could not be mounted on either side. Back to the shop- this time they were aligned, but the mounts were on the wrong struts. Yes each time I had to attempt to re-install the struts into the car. It sure is hot and humid for this 300 lb+ Texas boy

I was able to take apart and reassemble the struts and mounts myself- the nut was no longer frozen. After the strut re-install, rear bushing Silicon lube, and re-alignment, everything seems fine.

THANX FOR YOUR TIME, INSIGHT, AND COMMENTS.

Jeff

Last edited by daluvabull; 08-01-2006 at 03:49 PM.