Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Hey, use your classing to your advantage and get some large stuff in a 17" rim. You may have to roll/cut your rear fenders though which is also allowed in your class.
Why a 17 inch rim? It'll weigh more than a 16 rim and tire, cost more tire wise and then you won't be too lucky finding actual race slicks (provided he jumps to play with the big boys) as there aren't many available in 17s. Then again bigger is better right?

Have you looked at the rear SVX fender under there. I won't cut ours without a structural engineer giving advice. Not an easy area on an SVX to modify and for even a 255 you'll have rubbing issues without doing something. I know Bill is eagerly awaiting our report of how an SVX handles with 275s on it but that won't happen until August 6th when we take States .
Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Why a 17 inch rim? It'll weigh more than a 16 rim and tire, cost more tire wise and then you won't be too lucky finding actual race slicks (provided he jumps to play with the big boys) as there aren't many available in 17s. Then again bigger is better right?
Why a 17? The widest r-comps are available for 17" & 18" rims. Skimming through my latest Sports Car mag, the widest r-comps for a 16" rim I can find are 275/45/16 Hoosier A3S05's. If Bill upgraded to a light-weight 17" rim, there are 315 and 335 sized r-comps available from Kumho (V710) and Hoosier (A3S05).

Bigger isn't always better, but in this case it'll give Bill more options especially if he decides to put his engineering degree to good use on his car.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Or he would be planning ahead. 16 inch wheels don't support the use of 13 inch rotors very well.. especially when you mount a big ass brembo/wilwood/stoptech caliper on them

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-27-2006, 05:28 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Or he would be planning ahead. 16 inch wheels don't support the use of 13 inch rotors very well.. especially when you mount a big ass svxfiles $590 caliper/rotor and SS line setup on them
Fixed your post.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Why a 17? The widest r-comps are available for 17" & 18" rims. Skimming through my latest Sports Car mag, the widest r-comps for a 16" rim I can find are 275/45/16 Hoosier A3S05's. If Bill upgraded to a light-weight 17" rim, there are 315 and 335 sized r-comps available from Kumho (V710) and Hoosier (A3S05).

Bigger isn't always better, but in this case it'll give Bill more options especially if he decides to put his engineering degree to good use on his car.

-Chike

That's because you're doing the lazy man looking. They simply don't post 'em because they aren't as widely used by the "bigger is better crowd". Find me so slicks in 17s that have enough bias ply sidewall to work and I'll bite.

R compounds are for stock cars not race cars.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Ah were still running 225s at the moment. Remember we're cheap plus we don't outweigh Camaros.
Ben,
So true! Hey, I might have some brand new VictoRacers in 245/45-16 available...interested? (yeah, I know you're looking at going to bias plys )
-Bill
p.s. was the guy running the Porsche at FedEx they same guy you "slayed" last month?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 06-27-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 AM

Bill,

I have a surprise for ya! I came across these pics of your car at the Pro Solo on Team WTF?'s site:

http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set...view_album.php

-Chike

P.S. I talked with my friend Steve who drove the steel gray WRX in D-Stock. He was in 2nd place after the morning session on Saturday, but had problems in the afternoon with fuel staravation in tight turns. Seems like he needs to autoX with at least a 1/3 tank of gas in the future.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:01 AM

FYI, in my pursuit for better rubber (w/o picking up a second set of wheels and r-comps) I just secured a new set of these this morning:

They have 99% tread left and were taken of an '05 STI shortly after been driven home from the dealer. Should last me the rest of the season and give me much more grip than my Ecsta Supra 712's. I pick them up Sunday!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

-Chike
Chike,
In certain ways, I'm as "cheap" as Ben and Dave...while talking with the Camaro and Mustang guys in ESP I found out that they are all running lightweight 17" rims (10 inches wide) with their 315s. The kicker is that the rims they're using run $400 and up a piece It makes sense for them, as they're running at the National level, traveling around the U.S. with their cars on trailers. Right now, I've got better things to spend my money on (that, and 275s will easily fit on my RX-7 rims )
-Bill
p.s. and yeah, the engineering degree is going to get a workout in the months to come stay tuned...

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
In certain ways, I'm as "cheap" as Ben and Dave...while talking with the Camaro and Mustang guys in ESP I found out that they are all running lightweight 17" rims (10 inches wide) with their 315s. The kicker is that the rims they're using run $400 and up a piece It makes sense for them, as they're running at the National level, traveling around the U.S. with their cars on trailers. Right now, I've got better things to spend my money on (that, and 275s will easily fit on my RX-7 rims )
-Bill
p.s. and yeah, the engineering degree is going to get a workout in the months to come stay tuned...
Cool. Have you done any weight reduction yet? You should be able to pull your backseats as well as many other items and still have a legal car. I'd like to see 275's on your car and yeah, they definitely would fit nicely on the 16x8" RX-7 rims.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Bill,

I have a surprise for ya! I came across these pics of your car at the Pro Solo on Team WTF?'s site:

http://www.teamwtf.org/index.php?set...view_album.php

-Chike

P.S. I talked with my friend Steve who drove the steel gray WRX in D-Stock. He was in 2nd place after the morning session on Saturday, but had problems in the afternoon with fuel staravation in tight turns. Seems like he needs to autoX with at least a 1/3 tank of gas in the future.
Chike,
Thanks! I knew the WTF boys were taking pics, just hadn't had time to get over to their site. The pics confirm how the car felt --- nice! Wish I had been able to do a couple more runs, as I hadn't pushed it to "tire squeal" yet I had tightened up the front Konis just a bit before the afternoon session and the car is starting to feel more balanced. We'll have to see how things go in July's event.
-Bill
p.s. Yeah, I was surprised that your friend came in 4th out of 4 in DS, as I remember his times being really good in the morning session. Now I know why.

My Locker
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Thanks! I knew the WTF boys were taking pics, just hadn't had time to get over to their site. The pics confirm how the car felt --- nice! Wish I had been able to do a couple more runs, as I hadn't pushed it to "tire squeal" yet I had tightened up the front Konis just a bit before the afternoon session and the car is starting to feel more balanced. We'll have to see how things go in July's event.
Your car definitely looks very stable in those pics. Definitely doesn't look like any inside tires lifted in tight turns. If you hadn't pushed it to tire squeal...you probably left another 1-2 seconds on the table!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
315s in action

This is who I was lined up against in the morning session - Brian Burdette. Really nice guy, has been autoX'ing for 13 years (yes, his car has number 15 on it and the time sheets say 75...timing messed up his number ).

Those 315s make the 245s on my car look like economy spares!

-Bill
p.s. he did have to roll the insides of the fenders so the tires don't rub.

My Locker
Old 06-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Your car definitely looks very stable in those pics. Definitely doesn't look like any inside tires lifted in tight turns. If you hadn't pushed it to tire squeal...you probably left another 1-2 seconds on the table!

Chike,
Yep, I'm thinking that low 35s were just waiting for me After my experience driving the RaceCar, I'm focusing more on being able to modulate the gas pedal better and use momentum to my advantage, versus just flooring it and seeing what happens . The race seats should be ready around the end of this week, so I have to start working on getting a harness and figuring out the best attachment point (oops, did I say that out loud? )
-Bill

My Locker
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Cool. Have you done any weight reduction yet? You should be able to pull your backseats as well as many other items and still have a legal car. I'd like to see 275's on your car and yeah, they definitely would fit nicely on the 16x8" RX-7 rims.
Corbeau race seats should be ready by the end of the week - having them recovered to match the gray interior. They should shave around 80-90 lbs

Red top battery is already in the trunk.

Other stuff in work, just have to check to make sure it's legal first...

-Bill

My Locker