SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
That's a good choice of tranny. It's probably a 4.11 so you're in good shape...just take everything having to do with the transmission. Then ask Tom how to do it .
Sorry, no it's not.
I hate to say this aloud, but in my experience the 4.11s do not hold up to "spirited driving".
It costs the same to install a 4.44, and in the 17 or so swaps have done, NONE HAVE GRENADED!!!!!
In the three 4.11 swaps that I have done, one had to leave his resistor out, one had to replace that 4.11 for another, and THEN leave his resistor out, and the third, will never be confident in it.
I have four 4.44s in my driveway, one with about 345 hp, and almost two years on it with no issues!
We learn as we go.
Sorry Chi ke, Mitch, and Andrew.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
I'm going to check the TPS (to see if it's dirty or needs adjusting), and the brake band. If that doesn't do it we're very likely going to sell the car.

What do you guys think would be a fair price to ask? We're going to forkout money to pay it off, and I'm hoping not to have to forkout more than $2000 out of pocket.

'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 06-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I say keep it. Shell out the dough for the conversion to a 4.44 auto. They are lots of fun and easy to do. The 5mt is a pretty complex and time consuming job and definately not for the faint of heart. I am not making my kit parts anymore because I don't want to have the time to worry about other people's cars anymore, I have enough to worry about my own. There are other members on here that would be more than willing to help you find parts during the conversion. Good luck with whatever you decide

Tom
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Sorry, no it's not.
Hey Tom, you're right about that, but I think Manarius was referring to the '91 Loyal tranny. He was speculating that its a 4.11. At any rate, a '91 Loyal tranny is not a good choice.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I say keep it. Shell out the dough for the conversion to a 4.44 auto. They are lots of fun and easy to do. The 5mt is a pretty complex and time consuming job and definately not for the faint of heart. I am not making my kit parts anymore because I don't want to have the time to worry about other people's cars anymore, I have enough to worry about my own. There are other members on here that would be more than willing to help you find parts during the conversion. Good luck with whatever you decide

Tom
Good points... If we keep it, we'll put a 4.44 geared tranny. If I have no luck finding one locally, though, I think we're just going to have to sell.

By the way, I removed the TPS last night and it doesn't look dirty, but I can't find my multimeter so I haven't been able to test its resistance, or the voltage output through the numerous how-to's on this site. I guess I'll have to buy a cheap multimeter today.

A board member has shown interest in the car for a 5MT swap. I suppose if I'm not brave enough to join the 5MT club, there's a chance he will.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
??? Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Sorry, no it's not.
I hate to say this aloud, but in my experience the 4.11s do not hold up to "spirited driving".
It costs the same to install a 4.44, and in the 17 or so swaps have done, NONE HAVE GRENADED!!!!!
In the three 4.11 swaps that I have done, one had to leave his resistor out, one had to replace that 4.11 for another, and THEN leave his resistor out, and the third, will never be confident in it.
I have four 4.44s in my driveway, one with about 345 hp, and almost two years on it with no issues!
We learn as we go.
Sorry Chi ke, Mitch, and Andrew.
Well... Let's think about this for a minute before you go getting all weepy on me here...

When I brought the car up to you I had the choice of ... let me remember here.... hmmmm Having my insurance company total the car for 3200.00 or have the dealership that I had it towed to rebuild the tranny for .. ahh... 5000.00 dollars!!!!

For under 1800 dollars you got me up and running again... I've done little or nothing to the car since, been up and down the mid-atlantic states spent a week driving the outer banks and I've been to the Reading meet....

I'd say I've gotten my money's worth!

So... be quiet and don't call me so late ! I work for a living

I'll be up so you can help me change the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs...

You're not out of this yet!

P.S... have you got a line on a 4.44 for me yet?
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Nag, nag, nag.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-03-2006, 06:30 PM
building more AK47's

I picked my 4.44 transmission and rearend yesterday for $550, that has 69k miles on it and they didnt charge for a core. I started on cleaning it and will be working on it in the next few days. It took me 3 years to find a good deal in this area but if you look hard enough you can probaly do better
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 AM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
I picked my 4.44 transmission and rearend yesterday for $550, that has 69k miles on it and they didnt charge for a core. I started on cleaning it and will be working on it in the next few days. It took me 3 years to find a good deal in this area but if you look hard enough you can probaly do better
lucky...