Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
cool **** cant wait till she is on the road!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Thanks! Looking forward to this. Lot of work and $$$ but it'll be worth it.

I'm curious, is this going to be the first West Coast 6MT Swap?
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-02-2006, 07:02 AM

How much has all this cost ... what tranny are you using and where did you get most of the parts. Im still clueless to this stuff, thinking 6mt sounds better than 5mt hehe. And Tom when I get the funds you should come down here to NC and help me out as well plz

best of luck on tyhe swap guys
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osilith
How much has all this cost ... what tranny are you using and where did you get most of the parts. Im still clueless to this stuff, thinking 6mt sounds better than 5mt hehe. And Tom when I get the funds you should come down here to NC and help me out as well plz

best of luck on tyhe swap guys
All in all its prob. going to end up just a little north of $6,000 for the parts and Tom's fee. The tranny was 4850 shipped and Tom charges 1800 for the labor and custom parts. I provieded him with the pedal box that I got off Ebay for $50.

The 6MT is def. more money than a 5mt swap. But I wanted a stout gear box that wouldn't give me any troubles.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
For some reason I cannot remember his name right now but there is a guy near/around SLC who did the first 6mt swap but you are the first west coaster that I know of.

This may be the last swap I do because this year I plan on MOVING to Philly not just commuting on weekends back home but we will see how that goes. Maybe after I secure a home and have my own Garage to work in I may do it again but I get the feeling someone else here will eventually fill my shoes. Get it touch and I will let you know.

Kerry, I am stoked to get out there and to think there are only 2 more days left until my flight flies out. I am going to try and sleep the whole flight so I have energy to get started that night if we can. Anyway I am ready... are you??

Tom
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

I'm ready. Everything is up at the Hobby Shop in my storage locker waiting. I figured we get up there around 430-500 and that'll give us about 3 hours of working time. I'll be happy with getting the fluids drained, brakes taken off, and intake mani taken off. I'm sure theres a bunch of other odds and ends we can knock out Friday. There will be 3 of us doing this so it should go pretty smoothly.

Also, the local Dealership wants to see it when its done. I worked out a deal witht he salesman that I'd get to take out an STi in exchange for a test drive of the 6MT SVX.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
For some reason I cannot remember his name right now but there is a guy near/around SLC who did the first 6mt swap but you are the first west coaster that I know of.

This may be the last swap I do because this year I plan on MOVING to Philly not just commuting on weekends back home but we will see how that goes. Maybe after I secure a home and have my own Garage to work in I may do it again but I get the feeling someone else here will eventually fill my shoes. Get it touch and I will let you know.

Kerry, I am stoked to get out there and to think there are only 2 more days left until my flight flies out. I am going to try and sleep the whole flight so I have energy to get started that night if we can. Anyway I am ready... are you??

Tom
Tom,
The UPS guy shown up yet?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Actually he just did. Unfortunately I have been slaving away on the boat again getting ready to haul the Detroit 671 out of the Odin. I will have it out to you tomorrow... Thanks Bill.

Kerry, good to hear. I think we can have the engine out by then end of the night if we are working hard... Anyway... I will be speaking more with you later

Tom
Old 08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Anyway... I will be speaking more with you later

Tom
Uh oh... Doesn't sound too good... lol

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Maniac modifier

I need to finish packing after working all day. Bill you package is booker for pickup from UPS tomorrow. I will be heading out to crash in Philly for the night and hop on my flight in the morning I will be sure that Kerry keeps up on the pics every day of progress

Tom
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Tonight I told Ryan he's going to be the Picture Taker guy. So we'll have a great step-by-step photo shoot. My plan is to do a write up for Subie Sport and try to get it published.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 PM
One teal and One yellow

gest24 or kerry,
wish your swap go smooth on the next following days.
I will be happy to see your pictures progress or the write-up later.

How many miles on your SVX now? How many miles and what year on the 6mt STi tranny that you purchased? Have you done any research or got any info of the 6mt svx vs 5mt svx from 0-60 and its 1/4 mile? (say the engine is stock for both)

Have fun!

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
Something to think about with the STI pedals. When they are mounted in the SVX with the stock positions for accelerator and brake, the two pedals are too far apart for heel and toe unless you wear EEEE shoes. That really doesn't matter unless you want to do track work. If you do, I would recommend having someone heat the accelerator pedal arm with a torch and bend it toward the brake pedal so it will be close enough for heel and toe work. Or maybe someone knows of an accelerator pedal sideward extension that would fill in the gap.
Would that work if replaced the manual brake pedal with the bigger/wider automatic brake pedal?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 08-03-2006, 09:59 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
gest24 or kerry,
wish your swap go smooth on the next following days.
I will be happy to see your pictures progress or the write-up later.

How many miles on your SVX now? How many miles and what year on the 6mt STi tranny that you purchased? Have you done any research or got any info of the 6mt svx vs 5mt svx from 0-60 and its 1/4 mile? (say the engine is stock for both)

Have fun!
My baby is at 95K and the tranny is out of an 05 STi W/10K. I didn't really research the specs. The choice for the 6MT was for straight up strength. If the stock 02 WRX tranny couldn't hold the stock EJ20T the EG33 wouldn't be too good for it either. Plus the 65% rear bias sounds like TONS of fun. Perfect AWD split for SoCal.

Thanks for the support guys! Didn't think I'd be doing this mod after only owning the car 8 months. But hey, after my mom got me into Subies and turned me onto the Alcyones (XTs and SVX) I'm going to do my best to make and keep my Pearl a great car.

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX

Check My New Homepage..
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 AM
Maniac modifier

I am at my gate and we will board shortly. Glad to be comming out and giving a hand... Now 3 out of 5 6mt's in the world I can say I had a part in.

Tom