How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Probably dead alternator

Well I havent had a serious problem in the last 2 months or so, so I am overdue. and geuss what? I was right. I had just driven down to my part-time office which is about 70 miles south from my house. No problems on the trip down at all. I was only there maybe 5 minutes tops, and then as I was leaving, I came to a stop at a stoplight, and my CEL, ABS, and Oil lights all came on the dash. Then it stalled out. This is EXACTLY what happened last time my alternator died. But last time it happened, I couldnt re-start the car at all. This time, I managed to, after a few tries, re-start, pull off the road, and get to a parking lot. I pulled the CEL code, but it didnt have one in memory. So I re-started the car on the first try this time, got out on the road, and drove all the way back all 70 miles without further incident. The warning lights and stalling defeintely make me think alternator, but it was just replaced 5 months ago with a brand new one! I know someone will want to say possibly a timing issue, but the timing belt was also replaced 3 months ago, with a brand new belt, and there have been no issues at all with it. Also, the tension on the alternator/PS belt is fine, it is nice and tight. So any ideas? I have had a slight PS leak for awhile, could it possibly have lost enough fluid to do something to the alternator belt?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the alternator plug is not loose as well as the nut holding the wires on top.

Also check for loose battery cables. If you can turn them with 2 fingers it's too loose.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
After driving all that way if your alternator is bad or improperly connected your battery should be almost completely drained.

Get both tested at a local Autozone or by someone you trust before you go replacing anything.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
Well I havent had a serious problem in the last 2 months or so, so I am overdue. and geuss what? I was right. I had just driven down to my part-time office which is about 70 miles south from my house. No problems on the trip down at all. I was only there maybe 5 minutes tops, and then as I was leaving, I came to a stop at a stoplight, and my CEL, ABS, and Oil lights all came on the dash. Then it stalled out. This is EXACTLY what happened last time my alternator died. But last time it happened, I couldnt re-start the car at all. This time, I managed to, after a few tries, re-start, pull off the road, and get to a parking lot. I pulled the CEL code, but it didnt have one in memory. So I re-started the car on the first try this time, got out on the road, and drove all the way back all 70 miles without further incident. The warning lights and stalling defeintely make me think alternator, but it was just replaced 5 months ago with a brand new one! I know someone will want to say possibly a timing issue, but the timing belt was also replaced 3 months ago, with a brand new belt, and there have been no issues at all with it. Also, the tension on the alternator/PS belt is fine, it is nice and tight. So any ideas? I have had a slight PS leak for awhile, could it possibly have lost enough fluid to do something to the alternator belt?
Don't think it is the alternator. If there was enought power in the battery to restart the car. The alternator can stop working, and the car will still run on the batterys stored power. The oil light coming on makes me think it is an engine problem, as it is just a switch that is not affected by low voltage.

I would guess that there is some other problem that caused the stall, may be a crank sensor. These won't allways post a code, till they get worse.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
owning an mt SVX this is a common occurance. The car simply just stalled out. Just before the stall the lights will come on because the car is reading low voltage(not enough rpms). So basically what you want to firgure out is why the car stalled.

Tom
Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Don't think it is the alternator. If there was enought power in the battery to restart the car. The alternator can stop working, and the car will still run on the batterys stored power. The oil light coming on makes me think it is an engine problem, as it is just a switch that is not affected by low voltage.

I would guess that there is some other problem that caused the stall, may be a crank sensor. These won't allways post a code, till they get worse.

Harvey.
In view of the fact that CEL, ABS and the oil fault light come, the oil indication system etc. surely is not the problem, i.e. it unlikely that there are three faults.

The symptoms you describe indicate an alternator fault which has been reported here many times. However the exact cause is rather obscure and the reason, as far as I am aware, has not been previously analysed and described.

The dash indicator lights, test on turn on circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, dependant on engine revs., which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights accordingly.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Whoa, blast from the past.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Whoa, blast from the past.
Greetings,

I recall thay you were party to a rather controversial debate in the distant past and unlike one other person invoved, I hold you in high regard. *>)

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-29-2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
sounds to me like your alternator maybe freezing up periodically...and your battery is low on juice....true you can run the car on just the battery if the alternator dies, but if the battery is low already.....this could be the prob.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Well when I had my alternator replaced 5 months ago, I had the battery replaced with it. It has a 75 month warranty, so im not terribly worried about that. What is interesting to me is that I made the trip from Denver to Fort Collins (about 70 miles), and then from Fort collins to Loveland and back (about 30 miles) and then from my house to school and back (another 4 miles) without any problems. So I have run about 104 miles since the problem, without it showing up again. It is very strange. I just went out and tightened everything battery and alternator wise (even though nothing was really loose). I inspected everything I could, and didnt find any problems anywhere. Pulled the engine codes, none there. So I am at a loss for words...
Old 03-30-2006, 03:10 PM

my nickel cuz I ran out of 2 cents'sessess

an easy way to check if the altenator is bad is to disconnect the battery while the car is running. the altenator should power the car, without the batt. The altenator is supposed to power the car while driving and rejuice the batt, under normal conditions. So if the car dies then you know its the alt.(which it probably wont because if it was the alt. the car probably wouldnt still be running).

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
owning an mt SVX this is a common occurance. The car simply just stalled out. Just before the stall the lights will come on because the car is reading low voltage(not enough rpms). So basically what you want to firgure out is why the car stalled.

Tom
Did everyone miss this?? Your car stalled... thats it

Tom
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Registered SVX
Not a Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
an easy way to check if the altenator is bad is to disconnect the battery while the car is running. the altenator should power the car, without the batt. The altenator is supposed to power the car while driving and rejuice the batt, under normal conditions. So if the car dies then you know its the alt.(which it probably wont because if it was the alt. the car probably wouldnt still be running).
N.B. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not run the engine with the battery out of circuit. There a real danger of damaging the alternator voltage regulator due to the absence of a load.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Danger............DANGER.

Don't do this. If the battery is disconnected while the engine is running, there is nothing to prevent the alternator from putting out high voltage, .eg 20/50 Volts. This would destroy the electronics in the car.

This used to be done in the days before electronics were common place, but in modern cars now days, it will burn them up.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Not a good idea. The alternator relies on the battery's voltage to determine how much to charge. Without it the alternator will assume the battery is dead and output extremely high voltages possibly blowing electronics of some sort.

I had a loose battery cable and was measuring voltages of 16+