How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-25-2006, 06:32 PM
pioji

Oil in the intake manifold

My car is in the shop with the intake manifold removed because the plenum was heavily coated with oil that is coming in through the PCV system and the valve cover breathers. I have a catch can for the PCV line and filters for the breather ports that I intend to install but I'm not sure if I even want to hook up the PCV line again.
My oil dip-stick always pops out so I'm wondering if the rings are OK and I'm not sure that a catch can will keep oil out of the system if the oil is atomized.
The guy at ECU tune told me that all SVX's do this but that doesn't mean they should the way I see it.

Have any of you sealed off the PCV and just allowed the PCV line vent to atmosphere?

I've been thinking about tying the lines from the valve breathers into the PCV line, routing all the blow-by to the catch can and sealing the valve and the inlets on the intake so that the oil won't have a way in but, I don't know how it will effect performance.
This all started when I broke a vacuum line under the plenum and had to remove it to replace the line... the car runs fine, never smokes and it's pretty fast (for an SVX) now that I have dual exhaust (front to rear) and stage II with the Nissan MAF sensor.
Any feed-back would be appreciated.
Thanks,
pioji
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
You can definitely eliminate the PCV valve if you want. But it does help to keep moisture out of the crankcase oil, so it performs a useful function. Eliminating the PCV valve may affect idle performance. Like the IAC, it is a pathway for air to go into the motor during idle. If you cap off the PCV valve, the IAC valve will have to open up further to allow enough air into the motor to maintain idle. I'd guess that the IAC can compensate, but I've never tried it.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Drippin

Theres oil dripping from my intake butterfly valve. Are there seals that go bad? my dipstick tube was modified by channel locks to keep the dipstick from popping out Is there some kind of inline filter kit that can be installed?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Locker Link Solution

If the dip stick is poping up, you really should just replace the o ring, bending the tube is just bad. Please no one else go bending the tube. If it pops up with a new o ring, you have bigger issues and bending the tube still won't help.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Which O-ring. Is there a how to? where can we buy a good replacement?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 AM
word words wording

Everyone Destroy there tube

I replaced the O-ring and it still popped out. All I did is crimp the end a little bit so it put more tension on the O-ring there is no harm in that. I didnt mutulate or bend the tube.

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXgarcia
Which O-ring. Is there a how to? where can we buy a good replacement?
the O-ring on the yellow plastic part of the dipstick - just about any small rubber-o ring would work. they have them in little assorted bags at most hardware stores.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Thank you for the reply
Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioji
My car is in the shop with the intake manifold removed because the plenum was heavily coated with oil that is coming in through the PCV system and the valve cover breathers. I have a catch can for the PCV line and filters for the breather ports that I intend to install but I'm not sure if I even want to hook up the PCV line again.
My oil dip-stick always pops out so I'm wondering if the rings are OK and I'm not sure that a catch can will keep oil out of the system if the oil is atomized.
The guy at ECU tune told me that all SVX's do this but that doesn't mean they should the way I see it.

Have any of you sealed off the PCV and just allowed the PCV line vent to atmosphere?

I've been thinking about tying the lines from the valve breathers into the PCV line, routing all the blow-by to the catch can and sealing the valve and the inlets on the intake so that the oil won't have a way in but, I don't know how it will effect performance.
This all started when I broke a vacuum line under the plenum and had to remove it to replace the line... the car runs fine, never smokes and it's pretty fast (for an SVX) now that I have dual exhaust (front to rear) and stage II with the Nissan MAF sensor.
Any feed-back would be appreciated.
Thanks,
pioji

This problem has been covered a few times before, check this thread out.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...kcase+pressure

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Have you simply tried a new PCV valve???? I had all the problems you did and replaced it and it's been fine ever since. Is the PCV connection under the manifold in good shape where the line from the intake tract and the line from the PCV valve connect together? Mine became brittle from age and heat and broke into many pieces when I was replacing the PCV. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
word words wording

I shulda tried that first After replacement do seals stop leaking?

Old 03-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulaid
I shulda tried that first After replacement do seals stop leaking?
My valve cover gaskets were leaking pretty good before I changed the PCV, After it's just a slow drip so I'd imagine so.