How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Jeff Koren

Help - Broken Rocker Cover Bolt/Stud

So I was almost done with the drivers-side rocker cover gasket when I over torqued one of the 10 studs and snapped it off in the cylinder head/block (right where the threads start) . While trying to remove the broken stud, the 'easy out' tool snapped on me and now the part of the stud still left in the block is not easily drillable due to the hardness of the piece of the 'easy out' that is still in the stud.

The location of the stud is the top front one closest to the oil fill inlet. After I put everything back together, nothing leaked. However, I know that it may eventually form a leak.

Any ideas on how to remove what is left of the stud from the cylinder block or if I should even try (I am a shadetree machanic and have no welding equipment)?

Thoughts of mine include...
  • plug the rocker cover hole with a stopper (rubber, cork, or other material) and monitor for additional leaks, when those happen, deal with them at that time (I would like to get one more year out of the SVX).
  • use a high temp epoxy and glue the broken stud back in its hole and accept that a leak around the cam gears/oil fill inlet may appear over time. When it does, deal with it at that time.
  • take it to a machanic and have them deal with it. The timing belt, seals, and water pump are next so I can tack this on to the machanic's things to do.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:18 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sorry to hear about your problem.
Did you remove the battery and the valve cover for better access?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
DOn't be so sure the mechanic will want to get at it either...One of the local suby dealership mechanic's told me I had a broken cam cover bolt that was broken off and he couldn't get it out...I didn't even bother making him do it.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Jeff Koren

SVXfiles,

I had the cover off (got to take it off twice since I was almost done when it broke) and the battery was out with good access. I was a bit afraid of drilling a bigger hole once I had one big enough for the 'easy out' but in hindsight I wish I would have just drilled out the whole bolt. Then I could have filled with epoxy or something and tapped. The hardened steel those 'easy outs' are made of just will not drill.

msvx95,

Did your cover leak with the broken bolt? I have a pretty good seal even with the bolt missing and part of me says don't press my luck. If someone else has a broken bolt with no leak I would definitely leave what I have alone.

BTW, I forgot to give this site its props. I have read it for quite a long time and it has been extremely useful. It is great to have a place for all SVX owners to come together.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Mine doesn't leak...my cover is to keep the dirt out near the cam seals....everything good so far. I'm not as worried about mine I guess as I would be yours...it still has the potential to leak near that gasket.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Jeff Koren

msvx95,

Sorry, I did not see yours was a cam cover bolt, just read the word 'cover' first and wrongly assumed it was the rocker/valve cover.