SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Miracle on Wheels-- Project: Pearl, returns after 4yr dormancy

Project Pearl.

So, as some of you may had read, during December I purchased the pair of SVX "parts cars" on ebay from Kinley Subaru in Williamsport Pennsylvania.

Here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6783

Kinleys had picked up this car from a customer to part out, as the previous owner of the dealership allowed the sale of salvage/ used parts. The car had only 115k on it at the time. It was parked in about 2002 (according to our evidence/ title) It had a dead transmission, a salvage/rebuilt history, and various missing parts. Could it come back?

Well, luck would have it, I won the auction for $660.00

My intent was to work in conjunction with John (avppow) and Eric (its just eric) to bring the Pearl 92 LS back to life. I believed that we could make it live again.

Thanks to TomsSVX, we were able to bring the vehicles home. (much thanks again) Tom and I weathered treacherous snow and ice to bring this pearl home. The 92 lsl ebony parts car came a few weeks later when we were able to go out there again. Much thanks to Dan at Kinleys for working with me.

I ended up moving away to college a few weeks after this all transpired, and I left the car with John and Eric to complete.

From the pictures, the car did not look all that bad, but it required a whole bunch of extra consideration because of the time it had spent sitting, plus parts being stripped from its shell.

It was at this time, a co worker of mine, named Brian (now "Excall" on here)
approached me with the desire to purchase the car. We agreed on a fair price, (under $2000, I will let Brian disclose if he chooses) on the condition that the car would run (in the back of my mind, i was hoping that these guys could make a miracle)

John and Eric did an excellent job bringing this car back to road ready condition. They transplanted the rebuilt trans from the black car into the pearl and repaired the entire exhaust (bye bye p.i.t.a. heatshields), for instance. There were also a host of missing parts, everything from Sunvisors to lugs, to hardware and seats.

Thanks to Mike Davis("Green1995SVX" here and "KinetiqSystems" on Ebay.com) Brian was able to obtain a nice set of leather seats as a suitable replacement, and Mike contributed other small pieces to the puzzle in parts also. I also pulled some pieces from Tom and I's 1992 Silver parts car (formerly Zavikan's car)

I trekked down to southern NJ this weekend, because it was time. I had won my fight with NJ DMV over the title and had it in hand, Brian had saved the balance owed, and John, Eric and Brian had put hours and hours into making this car roadworthy, and worthy again to be a Subaru SVX.

Things that had to be repaired replaced or transplanted included the transmission, alternator, radiator, and interior.

Tension was building in the garage, we were all anxious to see the result of all the work (and money spent). John turned the key and she ran without an exhaust, we were thrilled, but there was still work to be done.

John and Eric spent a few more hours drilling/cutting/ etc with the exhaust, with a newfound remedy to eliminate the need for the studs in the manifolds. Brian and I worked on the last finishing touches and I cleaned feverishly (she was quite nasty from being out in the dirt yard behind the dealer for four years-- it still needs some tlc)

We finally were ready. Brian looked like he was about to burst with excitement. John and Eric looked ready to pass out, and I, well.... I was either about to make a couple hundred bucks and a great friend a whole lot happier, or I was about to be(edit: continue being) a broke bastard. He sat in the car, and turned the key. She fired right up. Brian backed her out of the garage.

She had moved under her own power!

After a little Seafoam treatment, she purred like a kitten. We went for a ride, and man, was I impressed. This was by far the smoothest driving and shifting SVX that I have driven in to date (thanks to these guys and some new fluids and filters). She will need some paintwork, front seals, and v cover gaskets, but thats minor, and will be addressed as the new owner's finances and time allows.

Thank you so much, John, Eric, Brian, Tom, and Mike.

This car would not had lived to see the road again if it wasnt for you guys.

Brian, enjoy your new wheels man, you deserve them more than anyone I know.

For the love of the drive, and to the best friends a guy could have....

Last edited by Mike621; 02-26-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:26 PM

*blushes*

I'm very glad that this project came together. There were many times I was worried that it wouldn't. I'm so glad that Brian is getting the car he deserves, and I also feel comfortable turning the key over, as he's been quick to learn, and always eager to help. I know he's learned alot, and that makes me as proud as anything.

Thanks for making this all come together Mike, and thanks Eric for being so great to work with in the shop. You guys are awesome.

Oh and Brian, you know what all this means, right? Welcome to the Jersey crew, you're now an official member!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Green1995SVX

I'm so happy it got started! Congratulations guys!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:11 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Some Before Pics

(We put the wheels back on the right way )
Old 02-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Some during pics

Old 02-26-2006, 06:58 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Those are good pics. We need after pics....

Brian?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

How wonderful

Hi guys, What a great job. It is wonderful to bring a SVX back from the edge. It seems as if you each used your strengths in getting the job done. If I wore a hat I would take it off to you. Take care and stand proud, BOBB
Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Looks like a job well done.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-26-2006, 09:33 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Again, much gratitude to the guys that really made it come together, John and Eric. If anyone needs mechanical work done to their SVX, they should consider asking the Jersey Crew.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I could put something here about how I contributed, or that it was fun to work on,which yes, it was.Heck, I can even take a moment to congradulate Brian.Instead, I'll just call Mike a "Ketchup rotator" and leave the serious stuff for the guys who can actually contain themselves.
Afterall all work and no play makes Eric a dull boy.

Edit: A "Before" pic of the interior
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 03-15-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:29 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
IM a .... what?

Thanks Eric.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 AM

:) :) :)

Whoops, John left himself logged in at work

Excall
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 AM

^^^^^
(Sorry about that previous post John, you were still logged in at work and I didn't realize I was posting as you, so I edited it and logged you out)

Hi-

Nice thread Mike, and thank all you guys for everything you have done.

Mike for buying the cars and tracking down all the parts, as well as for being a clean freak and wanting everything to not only run properly, but look properly as well. And thanks for a great deal on a great car just in time . I hope your pearl works out well.

John for being a genious and giving up so much of your time to work on the car. Also for everything you have taught me about cars in general, and for putting up with my question-asking bolt-stripping n00biness. O yeah, and you have a cool garage, lots of good equipment, and a sacred corner with lots and lots of svx parts.

Eric for being cool and funny and working so hard on the svx. Also for letting the cars live at your house for a while (a long while). I think you definitely helped hold everybody and everything together on some of those late nights where we were wondering about the whole project.

Also thanks to Mike Davis for a great price on the seats (I like them a lot), and Tom for towing lots of cars.

The pearlie is still sitting in John's driveway. There are a couple insignificant things to look at, but basically it is waiting for registration and insurance which will happen any day now. I can't wait to take it home!

I also remember that two months ago I didn't know very much about cars at all, but I have good friends who have taught me a lot. Thanks for all the late nights, headaches, long hours worked in cold, windy weather, and for giving me a chance to work with you guys and learn how to take care of my car when I get it.

I have a subaru SVX!

Just to put in a good business word for my friends:

-You can trust Mike (Mike621), he is a good guy and is very good at finding good deals on cars and procuring obscure parts. He usually has a couple cars in the queue so check them out.

-John (AvPPoW) and Eric (It's Just Eric) are the best home mechanics that I know. They can do pretty much anything (probably even more than) a shop can while holding their work to a very high standard. It isn't just that they know what they are doing, it is that they care about the car as well and that comes out when they work. Check out John's "Mechanic Available in NJ" thread if you need work done on your car, or if maybe you would like a five speed swap...

O ya, "after" pics coming as soon as I get around to messing with my Mom's camera again, which should be soon.

Last edited by Excall; 02-27-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excall
^^^^^
(Sorry about that previous post John, you were still logged in at work and I didn't realize I was posting as you, so I edited it and logged you out)
Np, my fault. Thanks for all the kind words. Let's get that spoiler on and show everyone how nice the car is!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:50 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
The spoiler would have been on Saturday night if I couldve found those nuts!

What I think that still needs to be done:
- Take care of the abs light issue
- Find source of wavering temp gauge
- mount spoiler
- paint wipers

And wash it really well! I would say paint for the roof is a must in the near future too.

It really came together well. I am very impressed with how it runs after being off the road for nearly four years.