SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

View Poll Results: What shoud I replace my broken laptop with?
Apple intel powerbook pro 12 63.16%
Averatec 4200 series (old laptop) 2 10.53%
Averatec 2100 series 3 15.79%
OQO 01+ 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
I had a few averatecs. All the silver ones (older models are crap) I know. I fixed them and supported a few.

All the newer ones are ok. As in white ones. I had a 1050 and now 4265 that I killed. I am eyeing the 4265 or the 2150. I don't really see the need to spend $2500 for the macpro since most likely, I should be able to run OSX on the laptop soon anyways. I can do it on my PC... so...
well, if you really want, i'll check with my friend who got a laptop recently. it's a 64-bit laptop running unix with a 17" wide screen. built in wifi and bluetooth...it's pretty bad ass.

then there's these that i've wanted for a while but i'm too cheap to get:
http://store.sun.com/CMTemplate/CESe...baseSelected=3
Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The Dell XPS line is terrible.... http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTI0
read the reviews and you'll see for a "Gaming system" it comes preloaded with useless garbage to take up system resources, plus they do not come with restore discs which you should be entitled to. They come preinstalled on a hidden partition on the hard drive and most dells do not give you the option to create the disc. Wheh the HD fails and you replace it you have to call up dell for the restore discs and their support is definitely one of the worst I've seen.

As far as the dell laptops that are overheating... most of them use a regular Desktop Pentium 4 with hyperthreading. While they are fast and moderately priced they generate the same amount of heat as a desktop processor, and it spells trouble for most laptops because they provide inadequate cooling. They usually work fine but many are equipped with thin finned heatsinks that clog very easily with dust.

The same goes for Toshiba's... the S209 series seem to be the most troublesome as most of them use desktop pentium 4 cpu's. Working for an authorized repair center, usually we see the most toshiba's coming in.

I'm a big fan of the asus barebones. They are pricier but you can pretty much pick your components.

Sorry to sound so negative... I'm just not a fan of laptops as much of a desktop person. I fix both desktops, laptops and IPODs and parts are usually more expensive than desktop components and can sometimes be harder to find. I usually find myself resoldering components instead of replacing things just to avoid the hassle and the extensive costs.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-02-2006, 11:17 PM
One teal and One yellow

I guess personal experiences may vary huh. Averatec designs look cool to me and I think it's good value for the money if it will last.

I didn't have good experiences with both of mine.

On my next purchase, I may think of HP's new one with AMD 64 bit Turion design......depends on what comes out when I'm going to buy one. Either Toshiba or HP, for me, I heard nothing but good about toshiba. I think IBM is good product but not cheap.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I still recommend this one:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/...3438_4438.html

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/Resou.../562938810.pdf

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 AM

My tech knowledge wouldn't fill a thimble and I don't really follow the trends, but I've used Macs in my work for years and there's definitely a buzz about the upcoming Mac/Intel notebooks. And if you put any stock in Consumer Reports, its reader surveys consistently rate Apple tops in product quality and customer service. Unfortunately, for those attributes, one typically pays a premium price. (Some say the Intel processor may equate to lower Mac prices. We'll see.)

Our tech guy here at work has an office littered with alarmingly new Dell carcasses, if that tells you anything...

dcb
Old 02-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I'm on my fourth Dell Laptop in about a ten year span. That should tell you alot. I still have and use the third one. I've had nothing but great experiences with their laptops. No problems in any of them.

The overheating issues are the P4 HT chip, not the laptop itself. They overheat in desktops too. Get a Dell with a Centrino setup, and i'm positive you'll love it.

What about Alienware? The new Sentia series looks nice (I like to stick with the smaller, truly mobile systems, not the "desktop replacement").
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I've had my Ti-book for 3 years with no problems but a re-designed power cord. My friend has an alum. powerbook for 2 yrs. with no problems. I would never be afraid to buy another apple.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

ok the harddrive on my old bosses laptop just b0rk3d. toshiba tecras blow!

the laptop's under a year old and all prior tecra's were of excellent quality....except for these new pieces of junk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: