Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Having seen an Impreza with a 33 in it and not seeing any pictures of the whole bay I'm wondering where they have the radiator. In the one that I saw there was exactly 1 inch of clearance between the front of the engine and the front support so you aren't gonna get anything in there to cool it. Also to replace the accessory belts you either need to remove the entire front end or the engine. Then there is the holy heavyness of the set up. Can you say horrible handling!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hehe, youll have to inform the fellow suby owner guy of your cams...he might appreciate it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Hehe, youll have to inform the fellow suby owner guy of your cams...he might appreciate it
I was thinking about saying something about it. I'll see how the thread develops first...

The headers and ram air are definitely sweet, but the true 'gain' in power over stock would have come from the autronic stand-alone. If he added the delta cams, he could probably pick up another 15-20 whp once he made the necessary engine management adjustments...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Hmm, I am interested in the $$$ figure of this setup, how much you think that cost?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Hmm, I am interested in the $$$ figure of this setup, how much you think that cost?
I doubt it cost him more than a few grand (b/c he did all the work himself). Most expensive piece in that set-up is the engine management system...

A lot of that work is custom one-off fabrication (equal headers, intake). Kinda hard to put a price tag on that work, but it would have taken alot of man-hours to make.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I doubt it cost him more than a few grand (b/c he did all the work himself). Most expensive piece in that set-up is the engine management system...

A lot of that work is custom one-off fabrication (equal headers, intake). Kinda hard to put a price tag on that work, but it would have taken alot of man-hours to make.

Still wondering how he cools it and how he plans to change the timing belt. I'm fairly certain he'll actually loose hp from the line when the engine is hot with that intake setup.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ben,
Looks like he's re-routed the upper radiator hose so it comes out to the right of the power steering pump.
As far as the air box is concerned, it doesn't look to be all that involved, probably a couple of hours worth of cutting/welding.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
are those yellow top STI injectors or am i seein things?

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Ben,
Looks like he's re-routed the upper radiator hose so it comes out to the right of the power steering pump.
As far as the air box is concerned, it doesn't look to be all that involved, probably a couple of hours worth of cutting/welding.
-Bill

There isn't room anywhere for a big enough radiator under the hood (which is what I've been saying).

The air box doesn't look involved, it simply looks like a waste of time made for cooking your air before inhaling.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
I would pay $400 for equal length headers like that...
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
There isn't room anywhere for a big enough radiator under the hood (which is what I've been saying).

The air box doesn't look involved, it simply looks like a waste of time made for cooking your air before inhaling.
He's got fans mounted in front of the radiator to free up the room behind it...
I don't think cooling is a problem, as the SVX doesn't have a very big radiator either.

and the air box is situated directly under the open hood scoop on the RS, so it is breathing outside air, not heated engine compartment air

Just my thoughts on it
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
He's got fans mounted in front of the radiator to free up the room behind it...
I don't think cooling is a problem, as the SVX doesn't have a very big radiator either.

and the air box is situated directly under the open hood scoop on the RS, so it is breathing outside air, not heated engine compartment air

Just my thoughts on it
As I said though huck, there isn't enough room for a radiator there. Heck there isn't enough room to take the accessory belt there sans radiator.

Outside air that is heated directly by the heat from the engine when sitting in traffic or from a stand still. You'd need to get some seperation to enjoy any benefit from it, hence, the RS had 165hp, same as any other 2.5 from the same time period.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Judging by the way snow melts and ice forms on my hood, I don't think the air directly surrounding that scoop is being heated enough to matter.

Even so the only time it will be warm is the 1/2-1 second during take off.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Judging by the way snow melts and ice forms on my hood, I don't think the air directly surrounding that scoop is being heated enough to matter.

Even so the only time it will be warm is the 1/2-1 second during take off.
Agreed. And even if it's heated up slightly, it'll be alot less that the stock set-up with the long tube that runs to the fender. When the car is sitting, that tube will be heated up quite a bit. At least that intake system is compact and mounted right by the throttle bodies.

Whether that intake system is the most ideal or not Ben, we can't argue with the numbers. And that 5spd EG33 RS puts down more power to the wheels than any 5/6spd SVX has to date. So something they did works - whether its the intake, headers or autronic engine management.

-Chike

Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I wonder if it was dynoed with or without one of those huge windforce simulating fans.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.