How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Doogie

New SVX owner here.

Today I got a 1992 Subaru SVX with 140k miles on it. I was originally planning on getting like a 96 integra GSR, but for the price I couldn't pass up this SVX. Not to mention I can dump the other 10k I saved on this bad boy to bring it back up to prime condition.

Anything I need to know? What's the best way to launch it? (Keep in mind i've never "launched" automatics before so i'm not sure how to do it, i've been a manual driver all my life).
Old 03-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Check with Lwin, he seems to have experience strapping rockets to the roof of SVXs.

Beav
Old 03-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Check this out and good luck

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/i...win1995.html:D
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 03-07-2002, 09:02 PM
One teal and One yellow

welcome, doogie!

how cheap you got the bad boy.
read more threads, you'll naturally know more...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-07-2002, 09:04 PM
Doogie

The guy wanted 5900, I got him down to 3900.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:53 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie
The guy wanted 5900, I got him down to 3900.
not bad, i got my 92 w/ 95K for 5900.

Umm, you could do a nutral drop but i would recomend it, our trannies are expensive! You could get a 5 speed put it, or just hold down the break, floor it, and let go of the break. I would recomened getting aftermarket breaks, as you will need them if you do that too much
Old 03-08-2002, 12:25 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
0. Welcome to the network. I am Lwin.

1. If you really want to launch it, and if you can find ICBMs, I will strap them in for you. If there is a will and a ton of cash, there is a way. You might have to ask FAA for permision and at this time, govt. might not want you to launch ICBM SVXes anytime soon. [This is a joke but can be done ]

2. I have seen people putting NOS on the SVX. I myself have not done that and don't think I ever will. You can get extra hp that way. I can look up the diagrams for you if you want.

3. I have also seen people talk about turbos on the SVX. I have yet to see them.

4. I have also seen people talk about 900hp SVXes as well. So far, no proof.

5. If you really want to drive hard -- I am sorry to show you a little side of reality -- you are going to need some money. SVXes have weak trannies. You can drive the SVX fast, driving hard is another story. There are people that race the SVX here. I have never timed my SVX from a stop but I have pushed it up to 125mph once.

6. If you just want to test it out, I recommand one of two things:
a) stop at the light and when it turns green, just floor the sucker.
tires will smoke and you will take off. Power light should come on.
b) stop at the light. switch on the manual button. Shift it down to 1. When it turns green, floor it. When the tach. hits 6000RMP, shift up to 2. and so on.
WARNING: This will decrease the life of your tranny.

7. Enjoy the SVX. It is a fun car to drive and you will get a ton of people asking you: "what the hell are you driving?"

Lwin

ps. i hope this was not too long and i hope i did not scare anyone off.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-08-2002, 04:34 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Welcome to the club and I wish you many years of FUN SVX driving. The five speed gets better gas mileage also and with the money you want to put in it...... check out Brian Steel's posts.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:52 AM
ironsvxjr

I got my 92 with 94k miles on it for 5200 dollars. And I love it. You will have fun with the car
Old 03-08-2002, 07:47 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

I quote from the original SVX owners manual (pre-release issue) . . .

"No launch SVX. SVX not launchable. If try to launch SVX will both dissatisfy. Any attempt at launch SVX to only create great misfortune."

Now, I don't know how you'd read that, but I don't think I'd try to launch my SVX.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-08-2002, 01:16 PM

congrats on your new svx. i got my 92 lsl for 4,000 with a warr. and 98,000 miles. i wish you the best of luck with it and welcome to the site.

Kelli
Old 03-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Lowered SVX

if you have not guessed already.....

the svx is not blazingly quick from 0-60. around 7.0-7.5 seconds depending on the magazine. the svx shows its true colors at highway speeds. the car handles extremely well between 60-100mph in my opinion. this car is lots of fun and will bring you much enjoyment if you take care of it. if you are looking for a pocket rocket....you bought the wrong car. the svx competes, performance wise, with the lexus sc400 and the cadillac el dorado. in fact i think that is exactly why it is considered a luxury sports coupe.

this car takes well to mods but they are few. basically you can change out the struts and springs, wheels of course, exhaust, filter, carbon fiber hood, and new bumper soon to come. they are some japenese only parts available but they are expensive.

best source for oem is subaruparts.com, for aftermarket motorsportswarehouse.com

good luck and happy svxing.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Doogie

Well I am actually planning on rebuilding the engine and getting a new transmission anyway, which is why I plan on running the current transmission to the ground. (why not have fun eh?)
Quote:
a) stop at the light and when it turns green, just floor the sucker. tires will smoke and you will take off. Power light should come on.
Smoking the tires in an all wheel drive? Is that even possible? I've allready done this numerous times with the power light coming on.

How much would it cost and would it even be worth it to put in the 5 speed? I'd love to do that but i'm not that picky.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Lowered SVX

brian washington.....

does it. he has a website where you can see one with the 5-speed retrofit. this guy has his own shop. he puts the H-6 in VW vanagons and does the five speed conversion. check his personal locker.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-08-2002, 02:55 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie
Well I am actually planning on rebuilding the engine and getting a new transmission anyway, which is why I plan on running the current transmission to the ground. (why not have fun eh?)

Smoking the tires in an all wheel drive? Is that even possible? I've allready done this numerous times with the power light coming on.

How much would it cost and would it even be worth it to put in the 5 speed? I'd love to do that but i'm not that picky.

Thanks everyone.

not sure about AWD but I have done it in my car once
lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!