SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Death-Defying SVX Pickup Journey

AS some of you may know, I had won a couple SVX parts cars on ebay recently. Well, I had planned to go pick these cars up sometime this weekend. Due to a combination of conflicts, TomsSVX and I set out for Williamsport PA from Tuckerton NJ at about noon today.

I just got home.

We had no idea the weather would get this bad out there.

We were driving in a 2wd Yukon, pulling the svx on a tow dolley (after the driveshaft was disconnected of course) .

ON ICE AND SNOW COVERED ROADS?!

WHY?!

We are crazy for the cars.

There were a couple times I thought we were done, but we managed to keep everything together.

Not to mention scary sights like....There were crashed cars and jacknifed tractor-trailers everywhere.

Im glad we got home safe. Check out the day:

Old 12-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Good you got back safe the both of you, looks like a blizzard out there.
If any chance of a couple of headlights, don't forget me

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621
AS some of you may know, I had won a couple SVX parts cars on ebay recently. Well, I had planned to go pick these cars up sometime this weekend. Due to a combination of conflicts, TomsSVX and I set out for Williamsport PA from Tuckerton NJ at about noon today.

I just got home.

We had no idea the weather would get this bad out there.

We were driving in a 2wd Yukon, pulling the svx on a tow dolley (after the driveshaft was disconnected of course) .

ON ICE AND SNOW COVERED ROADS?!

WHY?!

We are crazy for the cars.

There were a couple times I thought we were done, but we managed to keep everything together.

Not to mention scary sights like....There were crashed cars and jacknifed tractor-trailers everywhere.

Im glad we got home safe. Check out the day:

Mike, you're lucky, I think its like a $500 fine in PA for towing an uninspected vehicle with wheels on the ground then another $300 for towing a load that weighs more than the 3500lbs limit in PA for trailers without brakes (unless your dolly has 'em). Glad you made it home safely though just watch out in PA they take towing safety seriously!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:41 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Yeah but the trailer is from NJ.... I dont get it.

eh whatever. I still have to pick up the other one.

With the same trailer.

Ugh.

Ive towed uninspected cars through PA before... and passed cops and all. If Im from out of state is it applicable?

Last edited by Mike621; 12-16-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah but the trailer is from NJ.... I dont get it.

eh whatever. I still have to pick up the other one.

With the same trailer.

Ugh.

Ive towed uninspected cars through PA before... and passed cops and all. If Im from out of state is it applicable?

Out of state doesn't matter. Your just taking a huge chance imo. Kinda like putting the wrong tag on a car you just bought to get it home... Chances are you won't get caught but if you do or get in an accident the finacial burden goes right on you not your insurance. Now you know why Hocrest and I have a duel axle trailer for our race car when a dolly would've worked for 1/4 the price. Just be careful!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I don't think any cops would have pulled us over simply because the weather was sooooooo bad. They wouldn't have wanted to get out of their cruisers... Anyway we made it back even if I did put it sideways with car in tow at 50 mph.

Tom
Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I don't think any cops would have pulled us over simply because the weather was sooooooo bad. They wouldn't have wanted to get out of their cruisers... Anyway we made it back even if I did put it sideways with car in tow at 50 mph.

Tom
I doubt they would have either but had you gotten in an accident even if it wasn't your fault the driver would be crimally and fiscally responsible. Not what two young chaps like yourselves need hamging over your head.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I doubt they would have either but had you gotten in an accident even if it wasn't your fault the driver would be crimally and fiscally responsible. Not what two young chaps like yourselves need hamging over your head.
Trailer is legal and has plates, it's legal to tow unreg'd cars in NJ with a dolly. It's picking hairs to bust someone who doesn't know the local laws.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
Trailer is legal and has plates, it's legal to tow unreg'd cars in NJ with a dolly. It's picking hairs to bust someone who doesn't know the local laws.

Ah but it isn't legal in PA if it weighs over 3501lbs, lacks brakes and has no inpection on the auto that is touching the ground. Doesn't matter if it is ;egal in NJ or not. I'm just telling Mike what issues can arise from his transporting of the cars. Would hate to see him get caught and have to pay more that what he did for the cars in fines.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Yeah I understand its illegal and all. But hey, I can always put my reg and plates on from my svx and they wouldnt know the difference.

"wtf ford probe?!"

Last edited by Mike621; 12-16-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I understand its illegal and all. But hey, I can always put my reg and plates on from my svx and they wouldnt know the difference.

"wtf ford probe?!"

Well yeah, you could do that but if you're caught doing that its a mandatory loss of license for at least 30 days and a HUGE fine. I used to do the same until I realized how much doo doo you can get in for attempting to falsify records. You'd still be over the weight limit of 3501 with a car and dolly too. Like I said Mike Just BE CAREFUL.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Mike,

Glad you and Tom made it home safely!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
but...a ford probe doesnt weigh over 3000 pounds..so everything is A-OKAY
Driving with illegal plates? Yeah, From boston to new jersey....done that.
now its a little hairy when your towing a car on a dolly with no working lights, in an unregistered truck, AND going no less than 80 miles per hour....in the rain...

I guess stuff just slides by in new jersey. Unless you arent doing anything wrong, of course.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-17-2005, 05:11 AM
<<<Alcyone

Let's face it, if we weren't all a little bit crazy we wouldn't drive SVXi and this site wouldn't exist.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:43 AM
pnyklr

Ha reminds me of the time I towed a Tttype up to massachusetts (didnt start took 2 hours to get it on the car trailer)

then coming back I towed down a 442 from Mass to Long Island
the 442 didnt run had two flats and no brakes started snowing real bad when we left massachusetts and continued until I got home

Imagine the fun of pushing a car witn no brakes off of a trailer in the snow and ice

Basically we left at 6 am to go to NJ for the first car and ended up getting home at 4 am the next day ! but hey it was a clean $600 in my pocket