How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I cannot get a job in Electrical Engineering ...rant

I graduated in May and still do not have a job in Electrical Engineering. I have a job, but not in the field that I spent time and money on getting a bachelor's degree for.

this sucks

I'm getting annoyed sending my resume to companies where it would appear that I would be the perfect candidate for the job. Meanwhile I never receive a call back.

so what's the secret? it helps to know someone - so what if you don't?

just venting i guess

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

The easiest place to start is in the power industry. Go to your utilities company and stay on them until they offer you a job. You'll be spending your time doing power corrections, but it gets you some experience.

Then hunt for the design job while you are working there.

Look on the bright side, you could be down in Phoenix drawing transistors all day.... every day.... every hour.... every minute. Over, and over, and over, and over.........The electrical engineer's grunt job. They even tell you the W/L. Thinking is not allowed.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
EE jobs are hearder to come by and what you think is a good job for you, you'll need 5 years experience and/or masters degree.

My ideal job and what I do is different. That's just life. College is there to test you and the biggest test is your ability to last it out for 4 years and/or handle your finances.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Hater

^
|
|

EE degree, working as a tech for Verizon making more money than an engineer.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Hitchhikin'

How does one come across a position as a tech or test engineer at Verizon? Unfortunately, I'm ME, so I don't get to play with the gizmos and cellphones like you EEs do, even if I know more about CDMA than most salespeople.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lets see the resume. Maybe we can help you with it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 PM

making transistors ...haha see that was funny... the comment regarding lambda values! But see I'd take that job right about now...UGH!

It's true - any job I find interesting requires either a MS/PhD or a heck of a lot of experience ...i have neither. But I still send my resume in with a cover letter basically stating I'd like to start in the field in which they are currently offering _____ position. nothin

my most recent submission was to Alpine for a System Integration Engineer. I figure my past experience would be perfect for them and it seems I meet their qualifications. here's the job posting: http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob....,128,1862,1863

It hasn't been more than a week but I'm just real eager for something. Here is the resume I submitted: http://www.expertwebcreations.com/pe...e%20Resume.doc

It's tailored to the alpine position and I usually tweak it according to whatever the job is. I think that's the problem - I'm tired of putting out the effort and getting zero in return.

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
How does one come across a position as a tech or test engineer at Verizon? Unfortunately, I'm ME, so I don't get to play with the gizmos and cellphones like you EEs do, even if I know more about CDMA than most salespeople.

One of my buddies has a BS in ME and he works for Motorola. He makes the actual phone designs. So I get to see new phones from him every other month.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 PM

No offense what so ever but looking at your resume and the job you are seeking, it seems more of a dream job rather than "entry" level job. Very little people end up working their dream job straight out of college. And even fewer hold on to that job.

Eventually, one of two things will happen. You will get into the work force and enjoy what you do. You are currently pigon holeing yourself because of the degree. I did the same until a few years ago. You don't want to narrow yourself. You want to expend. That's how you climb the ladder in the real world. That's when the other thing might happen. You will enjoy the management and business aspect of the job and you will eventually want to do it expend it that way. That needs drive.

Enough. Back to you. Try looking for a few entry level positions, use them as jumping stone, build up your resume that way and figure out what you want to do. I've figured out that I don't want to work for anyone anymore and I want to retire by the time I hit 45 -- That is my direction in life right now. You will get your direction soon after you hold a few positions.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
No offense what so ever but looking at your resume and the job you are seeking, it seems more of a dream job rather than "entry" level job. Very little people end up working their dream job straight out of college. And even fewer hold on to that job.

Eventually, one of two things will happen. You will get into the work force and enjoy what you do. You are currently pigon holeing yourself because of the degree. I did the same until a few years ago. You don't want to narrow yourself. You want to expend. That's how you climb the ladder in the real world. That's when the other thing might happen. You will enjoy the management and business aspect of the job and you will eventually want to do it expend it that way. That needs drive.

Enough. Back to you. Try looking for a few entry level positions, use them as jumping stone, build up your resume that way and figure out what you want to do. I've figured out that I don't want to work for anyone anymore and I want to retire by the time I hit 45 -- That is my direction in life right now. You will get your direction soon after you hold a few positions.
That's understandable. I do look for entry level positions however rarely come across them. so far - only one related to the engineering field.

If I am to broden my horizons, what other field should I be looking in? The majority of the jobs I see don't want anyone without experience (Entry level).

Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Your local power company. You really need to check this out.

They have a group of Engineers that do "customer service" for their industry clients. (Factories, etc.) They call in complaining their electricity bill has went up, and you investigate why. 99 out of a 100 times, these guys have added equipment which has their reactive power out of whack with too much inductance. You scroll into their system, smack a couple of keys to figure the size of the needed capacitance pack to even the score, and voila! Bad news is you and a buddy now have to go out there in a van and install it. This takes a while, and sometimes you have to shut down all 3 phases to install it.

It's an entry level position, and starts at a fairly low salary, but you are in the door racking up those experience points. You stay there 4 or 5 years tops, have one of your managers sponsor you for your PE, and whoosh!! Off you go to the job you want.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM

I changed my goals in school after I realized a few things. I was originally a CPE (Computer Engineering). I wanted to design chips and such. After discovering that you will not be designing chips and working on things like that till you pretty much have your phd, I gave up and went CS.

I got my dream job straight out of school. I had 4 guys that I worked with and we were on call. Came in every three weeks to work and got paid more than most (I got about 1.5x that of my friends who started a year ahead of me). The bad news with such a job is that if you have hardly any experience, you are one of the first to go when they lay you off.

I still do my IT stuff but I manage dealerships at the moment. Something I'd rather not do but looks great on the resume. While doing that, you realize that you want to run a business rather than work for someone.

Before I get to that level, I was a wiremonkey, I coded for food, I scanned pages and OCR them. You have to start somewhere. Do you know any friends? A few visits to a few local businesses that works there would help. That's how I landed my job with Motorola ages ago.

Last edited by Seraph; 11-07-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM

Lwin just hit on my point. A lot of Engineers go with the goal of IC design, are hired on, and end up just drawing the transistors of someone else's design. And they will stay there for 20 years. The huge problem these days is most of your major corporations stopped recruiting engineers from overseas, and started shipping our jobs to them. Especially over the last 4 or 5 years.

What happened about 5 years ago? Oh yeah! Now I remember.

The majority of our jobs now are with small companies.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Your local power company. You really need to check this out.

They have a group of Engineers that do "customer service" for their industry clients. (Factories, etc.) They call in complaining their electricity bill has went up, and you investigate why. 99 out of a 100 times, these guys have added equipment which has their reactive power out of whack with too much inductance. You scroll into their system, smack a couple of keys to figure the size of the needed capacitance pack to even the score, and voila! Bad news is you and a buddy now have to go out there in a van and install it. This takes a while, and sometimes you have to shut down all 3 phases to install it.

It's an entry level position, and starts at a fairly low salary, but you are in the door racking up those experience points. You stay there 4 or 5 years tops, have one of your managers sponsor you for your PE, and whoosh!! Off you go to the job you want.
^^^^^^^^^ +1
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen
I graduated in May and still do not have a job in Electrical Engineering. I have a job, but not in the field that I spent time and money on getting a bachelor's degree for.

this sucks

I'm getting annoyed sending my resume to companies where it would appear that I would be the perfect candidate for the job. Meanwhile I never receive a call back.

so what's the secret? it helps to know someone - so what if you don't?

just venting i guess
Hmmm... I have recently gone exactly thru this same phase and everyone knows that . Anyway I waited for 4 hard months after my Master's to get job atlast in last month. When the time comes, you will definitely get a good job. Keep searching and you will get a good job on the way. Good Luck with your search !...

-Pavan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: