Old 10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
bobbyboy987

High Mileage SVX - Should i buy?

hey
im new to the svx scene and im loving it
i love the design of the car and would like to own one
on autotrader i found a black one thats close to me
here are the detials
1992 SUBARU SVX AWD, Ph Motor King, 156 St 112 Ave, (780) 488-9696, fall special, great winter all wheel drive, fully loaded, V6, high output, auto, inspected, warranty avail, call now, Edm.
thats word for word
i emailed them and asked about how many kilometers were on it and they said 220 000kms thats around 137 000miles
they are asking 5900CDN / 5000US for the car

my main concern is the high mileage because im still in high school and if any problems occur i probably wont be able to fixed it for awhile

should i buy this car or not?

thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

137K miles aren't too bad if the car has been well maintained. Check for complete service records. If they are absent - walk away.

What's Edmonton like this time of year? Last time I visited (about 10 years ago), I remember kids with dyed blood-red hair, snow in late August and lots of crowds everywhere! I also remember a Chinese restaurant called 'Foody Goody' that had all you can eat buffets for less than $9.00 CDN.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-05-2005, 09:00 PM
bobbyboy987

lol Foody Goody
i still remember that place when a buddy and I went there when we were like 12. the food wasnt that good and everything was cold
edmonton's changed alot now
theres this massive ring road that the govts building
its october and no sign of snow yet, and i havent seen anybody with blood-red hair for a long while

as for the car, im gonna go check it out and see if they have any service records liike you said, and if they do i test drive it to see how she handles

thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Check to assure the transmission has been replaced already, or is in excellent condition with filter. We have problems with the Transmission, but mostly due to heat. If the car has been in your climate, it may be ok. But check it out. If it goes, you will have an expensive problem on your hands.

Most common "look fors" on an SVX:

Transmission, rear wheel bearings, warped brake rotors, master window switch, saggy sunvisors, cracks in the plastic top on the radiator, and a buzzing sound coming from the resonator. Those are the "routines" on SVX's. Check those out first, and make them fix it prior to buying, or come down on the price.

This car can be a killer fun experience for you and super safe in the snowy winter climate. But be prewarned... Repairs are expensive. This was a Mid $30,000 (US) car when new, and the repair bills reflect that now, along with very few mechanics who know the car. They are pretty rare.

Good Luck!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 10-05-2005 at 09:38 PM. Reason: changed brake "calipers" to brake "rotors".
Old 10-05-2005, 09:08 PM

An afterthought on the mileage.

Check out all the signatures on the members here. We all are into the 100k's on mileage. Some have boasted about being over 200k. Not real sure if I believe them or if they were even sober.

Being over 100k is so commonplace for us SVX owners, we don't even notice.
(And yeah, we also have those mint 10k mile cars running around here too. )

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
An afterthought on the mileage.

Check out all the signatures on the members here. We all are into the 100k's on mileage. Some have boasted about being over 200k. Not real sure if I believe them or if they were even sober.
Sleepem has a car that's gone over 300K!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboy987
lol Foody Goody
i still remember that place when a buddy and I went there when we were like 12. the food wasnt that good and everything was cold
edmonton's changed alot now
theres this massive ring road that the govts building
its october and no sign of snow yet, and i havent seen anybody with blood-red hair for a long while
Wow! I was 16 when I last visited and things have changed a bunch over the years! Can't believe it hasn't snowed yet and it's October!!!!

-Chike

Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 PM

300K??? Are you kidding me??

Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
300K??? Are you kidding me??
Dead serious. He sent me a pm when he went over the mark. Still on his original trans (had a little work done years ago but still original - never rebuilt) and engine.

-Chike

Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Wow!! Now that's impressive! An original 300k tranny. I am flat out impressed!!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Smooth Stocker

Bobby,

I test drove that unit in the spring. Their is some kind of whine in the drivetrain and the windshield needs replacing (!!). Being in high school and all I would pass on these cars. I work out at the refineries and make a good buck and I am worried if I can afford the one I bought. Find yourself an older 240 SX or Celica if you want something sporty. My opinion.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I'd go with gmaxum's suggestion. An undocumented SVX with 137K miles is a breakdown waiting to happen. Timing belt could go, water pump could seize, tranny could die, knock sensors could fail, vacuum tubing can start rotting badly...

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Dead serious. He sent me a pm when he went over the mark. Still on his original trans (had a little work done years ago but still original - never rebuilt) and engine.

-Chike

That's impressive. Would be interesting to see how he drives and maintains his SVX. Maybe he didn't take it to drag racings or AutoXs alot...

PS: Bobby,? Just think about how much you like the SVX, do you/can you want to/pay for the maintenance fees? Usually, higher mileages cars require more maintenance costs, especially for svx's parts more costly, ...etc.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
I have a '92 SVX that is juuuuust about to click over to 150k miles. I bought this car about 5 months ago at 140k miles. (I like to drive it) Since I've owned it, I've put in about 600 dollars in repairs, for replacing 3 old hoses, and replacing a failed ignition coil. My transmission isn't horrible, but I can definitely sense that its more towards the end of its life then the beginning, I get the occasional "Clunk" in my shifting.

Basically, I would NOT recommend this car for a highschooler, especially an SVX that might be more towards the end of its life cycle. As I've said, I've put 600 bucks into the car on repairs, in this was all done in about a span of two weeks that I had this stuff break at once. I will also probably be spending 1000+ dollars in getting a new transmission maybe in the next 5? or so months. One of the (many) saving graces for my car in particular is the body and paint on the car (silver with black top) is in *immaculate* condition... I have actually yet to see another SVX (in person) that looked like this. Looks brand new, and most people do a double take when I say it's a '92.

Expensive car. BUT. On the flip side, its the best most pleasurable car I've ever owned. I love my SVX so much, that I'm only too happy to have it fixed when the occasional bug happens.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Mine has 318K Kms that is 197K Miles

Engine seems to be strong (knock on the wood) Tranny has been replaced once before.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboy987
hey
im new to the svx scene and im loving it
i love the design of the car and would like to own one
on autotrader i found a black one thats close to me
here are the detials
1992 SUBARU SVX AWD, Ph Motor King, 156 St 112 Ave, (780) 488-9696, fall special, great winter all wheel drive, fully loaded, V6, high output, auto, inspected, warranty avail, call now, Edm.
thats word for word
i emailed them and asked about how many kilometers were on it and they said 220 000kms thats around 137 000miles
they are asking 5900CDN / 5000US for the car

my main concern is the high mileage because im still in high school and if any problems occur i probably wont be able to fixed it for awhile

should i buy this car or not?

thanks
Buy the blue one for $8900, It has better wheels and it is a 94. Far less problems with the tranny.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...9&pgno=1&srt=1