How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
MidgeX

after 5 speed swap. Stock still?

if u have a 5speed swap done, are u still considered stock class in auto-x?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I think you get moved to a different class. (i.e. no long in GS) You can take penalty points and get moved up. I believe thats what I read in the rules, but it has been a while since I read them.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Definately no longer GS.

My guess is SM or ESP?? The SCCA rule book can be found online, or a hard copy can be viewed or purchased at most events.

Looks like it's time to start tuning up your suspension now too
Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Street mod or prepared class no exceptions as I've already written trying to get a slight exemption for a non classed car GS=Subaru Turbo AWD Not Otherwise Classified
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's SM because the transmission swap isn't in the rules (at least not that I've seen)
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
SilVerXtc

Shoot you could tell them it is a stock 5-speed. How would they know. I doubt anybody at inspection would even question it. What are the chances that there would be someone there that knew SVX's didn't come with 5-speeds. I plan on taking my 5-speed SVX to its 1st Autocross next week. I'm going to test the inspection crew and tell em it's stock.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How good of a job did you do on the shifter/boot? Did you have to cut the surround? Did you take the "P R N D 3 2 1" plastic indicator out of the dash?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sm

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
MidgeX

im just gonna go to inspection, ill say its bone stock
is there limit on tires?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeX
im just gonna go to inspection, ill say its bone stock
is there limit on tires?

It is ALWAYS up to the driver to class their own car, however, if someone would protest (which isn't hard to do as it doesn't take much to do) it is up to you to prove the car is right. If a tear down is asked by the protester then the cost of the tear down is the responsiblity of the wrong participant so if something is wrong and they tear it apart you'd pay. Personally, it is all about fun, if you're fine fibbing about your car (and trust me you'll still get stomped by the Minis anyways provided there are some good Mini drivers there) then do it. If you'd be embarassed should someone say your a cheat (which technically you are) and then have issues with the region from then on out because of it then don't do it.

Personally my XT6 wasn't quite stock. I had Cavalier front rotors on it which are slightly different but fit fine and work fine and really don't give a bit of advantage except they're about $50 a piece cheaper so I didn't have a problem saying I'm stock.

As for what class, you'd be SM, EP, or a full Mod, no exceptions. (E Prepared is probably the best place to be as it is a Not Otherwise Classified Car so it is in with all Subies from the Justy through the Impreza (WRX and STi excluded) Same thing for someone with a 4.11, 4.44 or the like. Remember it is simply about fun and if someone protests you might just make some local SCCAers a little irritated. Granted, you have to be winning for someone to protest and by next year the SVX will be totally 100% not competative in GS with the proposed downslide of cars anyways.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:09 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Showing up to your first autocross and cheating isn't usually the best way to make friends.

Besides, if you've never autocrossed before, you're not going to be remotely competative no matter what class you're in. Check to see if your local region has a Novice or Street Tire class, and just run legally. Your goal for your first 10 events or so should just be to go faster in each consecutive run. Don't worry about anyone's times but your own. Learn the line, learn to be smooth.

As far as tech... it's not their responsibility to class your car, it's your responsibility. They're just there to make sure your car is safe.

And tranny swaps = Street Mod. Unfortunately, unless you turbo/supercharge and prep an SVX to the limits of SM rules, it will probably never be nationally competative in SM. However, lots of regions don't have a big SM following, so there is the chance that you may be successful in SM at a local level as long as no one with a fully prep'd SM car shows up regularly.

Edit: benebus pretty much beat me to the punch on all my points!

Last edited by sperry; 09-14-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:53 PM

Not to steal the thread or any thing, but what would a SVX with koni GCs, header back exhaust and a 5spd be put into.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

SM, E Prepared or Modified. It is the transmission change that knocks you out of most classes. Just as putting another motor pretty much takes you out of everything but Mod too.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
It's SM because the transmission swap isn't in the rules (at least not that I've seen)
BINGO...... SM is the winn4r!!!11!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
So what would a twin turbo, full custom exhaust, 5mt, koni/gc, with 18x8.5 wheels with 255/35r18's class as. is that pusing the limits of the classification for SM??? This what I am hoping to hit next season

Tom