Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
4EAT Advice Needed

From all you Autoxers out there who still have the 4EAT. I have bitten the bullet and ordered a helmet, and have signed up for a Performance Driving weekend at Pocono in early October. How do you best get the tranny to do what you want when you are sliding around. Putting the hammer down will get a downshift and a big surge which might unsettle you in the middle of a turn. Not putting it on the floor might not get the pop you need out of the turn. Any advice?

Really looking forward to this, though. The car is really feels good after all the mods. Will install the Stage 2V4 and the Nissan MAF this weekend.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Keep the selector in first gear. It will shift to second.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Jayahalasi

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't putting it in Manual mode stop it from downshifting
Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Manual mode is only effective with the shifter in 2 or 3. In 2 then car will start out in 2nd gear and stay there until redline. In 3 the car still starts off in 2nd gear but shifts very early into 3ed gear. Manual mode has no effect with the shifter in 1 or 4.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
From the 1992 owners' manual:

"When the MANUAL switch is pressed while the gearshift selector lever is in position "2" or "3", the transmission switches to MANUAL mode and the indicator light illuminates. The MANUAL mode is used for driving on slippery surfaces such as snowy roads or mud, or for smooth driving at a constant speed when going up slopes. In position "3", the transmission holds in 3rd gear (but shifts automatically beween 2nd gear and 3rd gear during starting or low speed driving). In position "2", the transmission holds in 2nd gear."

This wouldn't help me on a road course, especially on slow corners where first gear would be best.

I will put the selector in "3" which will avoid automatic selection of 4th gear, dropping the revs way down.

Any other advice?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 09-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
For best perfomance at slower speeds (up to 60-70) I would suggest leaving it in 1st. This will run the engine to redline in 1st and 2nd before jumping to the next gear. The 2nd -> 1st shift is a little awkward until you get used to it, play around in an empty parking lot to find out at what speed it drops for your car. We have a 4.11 out of an Imp in the racer, so I'm sure the numbers would be different for your car.

Not sure what the course is going to be like, but if it is open, once you get up to higher speeds you may want to shift it into 2nd or 3rd and hit the manual button to keep it from dropping to 1st. If you get into a tight section and it starts to bog down, shift it into 1st untill the course opens up again.