Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 AM

The best car wax?

Just want to throw this one out there! since we all buy these cars used, what are you people using for car wax. I haven't figured out to post pics on this sight yet!(remember i'm an old man ) , but I'll figure it out soon .I just have to say that if you clay bar your car first and clean it with dish soap, Then your ready for a SHINE. I use Liquid Glass and I still can't believe the shine I get .I had posted a couple weeks ago ,about what color to paint my SVX ,because it had been outside for the last 8 months with no washing to speak of other than the rain . I thought I was finally in for a paint job! Well I thought i would go to work, and I gave her a good bath and a bigtime claybar routine. . So Panel by panel I clayed it down,then washed the car with dish soap to strip any old wax off if I had any left Then applied a nice coat of liquid glass and when I was done ,I have to say I don;t think I'm In need a paint job anymore . It's like it melts on the car! Man I had forgotten how awesome this stuff is! One thing I did do is I had a guy come out and spray just my mirrors they were really faded to the point I could see the white plastic underneath . ,and he did a great job on the color match .After all said and done.I think I'm in the running for the cleanest 94 svx. MAN I STILL CAN'T BELEIVE IT . I am so happy now and maybe now I spend the money on the lowering springs I wanted to buy, Since I don't have to get a paint job yet
Old 08-13-2005, 08:51 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Thanks for the input...been looking for a new wax

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Go Riders Go!

Send a message via MSN to Canuck
McGuires makes a REALLY good three step process. Clean, polish & wax. I was really really impressed. They also make a great plastic cleaner which works wonders on the front headlights.
1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~74K #291

I like mine rare.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Hitchhikin'

Zaino, hands down. It's a little overkill for most people though, both in price and quality... it's meant more for show cars.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Tim-H

Best finishing wax i've used is Meguires #26 mirror glaze.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Registered SVX
Zaino were do I get it ? Can you use it on fiberglass> I want to wax my Goldwing trike.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
Thanks for the input...been looking for a new wax
Steve Give it a try ,this stuff is great ! Meguiars is good too but I think Liquid Glass is still better!Believe me I'v tried them all . Everything from Nu-Finish to Zymol!If you try it let us know what you think . I will also say if yor car is pretty clean, I've used Fast Wax,you can use this stuff wihile th e car is still dirty(within reason of coarse). Not bad stuff either and if your like me in between washes I use Armor all spray on polish i'ts a quick detail spray! Nice stuff too
Old 08-13-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Zaino were do I get it ? Can you use it on fiberglass> I want to wax my Goldwing trike.
John I have never used this stuff? but I might give it a try . Anyways here you go! http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Zaino Store The home page says Corvette mag. rates it #1 , So you can rest asured it's safe on fiberglass .

Last edited by 94svxred; 08-13-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Spit and polish.

Im a Mothers boy, myself. Three stage, cleaner, glaze and the best carnuba wax around. I did mine 3 years ago, still looks the same, you can't wet it with the hose, it just beads off.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:01 AM

Registered SVX
I remember Liquid Glass way back in the 60's. then they changed the name to Liquid Class. I guess someone got after them for the name. Now you say it is back. I have been lQQking . The only complaint I ever heard about the stuff back in the 60's was if you had it on your car it was almost impossible to strip off for paint touch up etc.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
I remember Liquid Glass way back in the 60's. then they changed the name to Liquid Class. I guess someone got after them for the name. Now you say it is back. I have been lQQking . The only complaint I ever heard about the stuff back in the 60's was if you had it on your car it was almost impossible to strip off for paint touch up etc.
I was told by a detailer to either wash the car with liquid dish soap to remove waxes and he suggestes a cloth with acetone to remove the liquid glass (John my can dose say Liquisd Glass) i checked it out You made me go check PS. DO NOT LEAVE THE ACETONE ON THE CAR JUST WIPE THEY AREA WITH A DAMP CLOTH OF ACETONE WHERE YOU WANT TO TOUCH UP!
Old 08-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Hitchhikin'

That liquid dish soap is pretty strong... I'd be worried about it taking the paint off as well as the wax, but as long as it works for you...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Zaino, hands down. It's a little overkill for most people though, both in price and quality... it's meant more for show cars.
I most definately have to second that one. I don't think I will ever buy anything else again. Just washing with their soap is almost like a polish job. If you want to go through the entire step-by-step process, though, better clear your calendar for a whole weekend. I've yet to have the patience for all of it.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 PM
SVXPlanes

I've been using Zymol Japon for some time and it is fantastic. It is supposedly formulated for Japanese paint. Best shine I've ever gotten, including Meguire's and Mothers. And for those with Ebony cars or '92's with black upper bodies, Zymol Carbon Black colored wax cannot be beat! Makes all those hairline scratches disappear. It's bl***y expensive, though, at $50 a tin...