How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-11-2005, 06:35 PM
The Molinator

AT ...or not?

Should I plan to rebuild AT while performing head gasket service on engine (to be removed)....or just wait til tranny problems show up? I've heard in the past that our Nissan AT's like to need a rebuild @ about 120,000 miles...? My SVX has 111,000 miles! The only problem I've had with my AT is a slow (sloppy!) shift from 2nd to 3rd...BEFORE I installed a Smallcar.com Shift Kit!

THANKS for any help!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

I prefer the Idea of a manual swap over the cost of rebuilding the auto.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-12-2005, 02:13 AM
Phil & Belha

AT rebuild is expensive and doesn't require the removal of the engine. You're not going to save anything by doing it now. Might as well wait until it does start giving problems.

If it aint broke don't fix it.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 AM
The Molinator

MANUAL vs AUTO

How much is a manual swap? Is it a clean result....Or does it entail "custom" alterations that appear homespun? How much more HP ....or zip?

Thanks! .....for your opinions!

P.S. Is there anything to doing an AT rebuild that could beef up.... or even improve performance of the AT?
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 08-12-2005 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:17 AM

I agree that you might as well leave the transmission alone if it's behaving. As to switching to a manual, it's one of those things on which you can spend very little or quite alot, and the result, both aesthetic and mechanical, would depend upon the skill of the person(s) doing the work.

As to "how much more HP?" Zero.

dcb
Old 08-12-2005, 06:41 AM
red95svx

If it ain't broke........don't fix it. My tranny has 165,000 and is doing fine. There are others with high mileage also. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or you're planning a very long road trip I wouldn't spend any money on it right now. I personally won't touch my tranny until I lose a gear....or two

Dave
Old 08-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
Should I plan to rebuild AT while performing head gasket service on engine (to be removed)....or just wait til tranny problems show up? I've heard in the past that our Nissan AT's like to need a rebuild @ about 120,000 miles...? My SVX has 111,000 miles! The only problem I've had with my AT is a slow (sloppy!) shift from 2nd to 3rd...BEFORE I installed a Smallcar.com Shift Kit!

THANKS for any help!
With a "sloppy shift 2nd to 3rd". I think you could do a band adjustment. The shift kit is just covering the problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to freak customs Send a message via AIM to freak customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott
How much is a manual swap? Is it a clean result....Or does it entail "custom" alterations that appear homespun? How much more HP ....or zip?

Thanks! .....for your opinions!

P.S. Is there anything to doing an AT rebuild that could beef up.... or even improve performance of the AT?

you won't gain any hp from converting it, however most people love the feel of the svx as a manual. as far as "beefing" up the auto., i went with a rebuild kit from level 10 and it feels great. costwise it would be about the same to rebuild the auto as opposed to a manual swap so it's mostly up to the owner and whether or not you can find someone to do it (i couldn't )
Old 08-14-2005, 06:02 AM
The Molinator

REBUILD AT....OR SWAP to 5-Speed?

How much would this cost?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Registered SVX
Click on How_To at the top of the page. As I remember someone said around $1,200 .
Old 08-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
There is no exact cost for a 5 spd conversion. It depends on the cost of the parts and the cost of the labor. It cost me about USD$1800 for all the required parts from a 2002 WRX to do my conversion and we did all the work.

You can find older trannies for under $1000. Labor will probably be around $1000 if you can't do it yourself.

As for the feeling of driving a MT SVX it doesn't compare. I had a ride with our admin Chris in his 4eat SVX which he drag races and the launch doesn't even come close to that of my 5MT.

I took a couple other owners for a ride in my SVX and now they want to convert theirs as well
Old 08-17-2005, 08:21 PM
The Molinator

5 what?

OH... Great!
Now I have something else to lust after!

THANKS!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Yay I corrupted someone again
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
Yay I corrupted someone again
Oh sure...I do all the work and you take all the credit!