Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 AM

5 Speed swap - can't pass smog - OBDII

Hi Everyone,
Ever since my conversion on my 96, the car rocks, but the check engine light keeps coming on, (I've pulled the TCU BTW). Anyway, Arizona isn't going to pass the car unless I can figure this out. This is the code I'm getting: P1702TCM

I'm frankly worried that I've customized the car beyond what smog will allow and that I'll end up un-registered, or having to register to one of those 'address services' in a county that doesn't require smog
Old 08-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot
Hi Everyone,
Ever since my conversion on my 96, the car rocks, but the check engine light keeps coming on, (I've pulled the TCU BTW). Anyway, Arizona isn't going to pass the car unless I can figure this out. This is the code I'm getting: P1702TCM

I'm frankly worried that I've customized the car beyond what smog will allow and that I'll end up un-registered, or having to register to one of those 'address services' in a county that doesn't require smog

So long as all the bits (catalytic converter muffler exhaust etc.) are there then I belive there was a waiver program that you could sign up for... But it would be better to "correct"the car
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
no car with a Check Engine light on will pass emissions. Try and find what the light is for and then fix that problem. It could be as simple as a speed sensor or something stupid. Just make that light shut off and you should be good to go

Tom
Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
According to the FSM 96 Supplement, the code P1702TCM is the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis Input Signal Malfunction"

It says to check the harness between the ECM (electronic control module) and the TCM transmission control module)

Complete instructions are in the 96 Supplement Manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.

So I guess your O2 sensors, cats, etc. are functioning normally

(Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hard wire an inline switch to the CE light to be able to turn it off at times like these?)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-06-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
According to the FSM 96 Supplement, the code P1702TCM is the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis Input Signal Malfunction"

It says to check the harness between the ECM (electronic control module) and the TCM transmission control module)

Complete instructions are in the 96 SuppleMent manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.

So I guess your O2 sensors, cats, etc. are functioning normally

(Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hard wire an inline switch to the CE light to be able to turn it off at times like these?)
Yeah, the sensors/cats etc are fine. I'm guessing the open circuit could cause this, however it was still giving this code when the TCU WAS CONNECTED, which is why I disconnected it. I imagine the TCU was pissed it didn't have a transmission to speak with. I wonder if its possible to get around with some technical workarounds. I don't have a supplement manual, but the reference is much appreciated. I wonder if I could get a dealer or mechanic to work with me on this. Probably a shop specializing in electrical stuff if I could get my hands on the manual and go over it with them. After having a total of 16K into the car after tranny and purchse of the vehicle itself, I'd like to be able to keep it on the road!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Maybe someone here on the boards has the supplement AND access to a scanner. If you scan these pages, it will show each connector, which pins to check and the voltages you should have.

The simplified diagram for this circuit shows one wire connecting the ECM (B59 connector, pin 80) directly to the TCM (B68 connector, pin 11)

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It may be expecting more than a simple voltage value, it may want to hear network chatter.

Disconnecting the CEL won't work, they actually plug into the OBDll port and check for codes.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yup

Tom
Old 08-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Complete instructions are in the 96 Supplement Manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.[/SIZE]
Any idea where I can purchase a copy of the 96 Supplement Manual? Maybe directly through Sube parts? This is a tech manual correct? Not like the owners manual? This is great info, thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot
Any idea where I can purchase a copy of the 96 Supplement Manual? Maybe directly through Sube parts? This is a tech manual correct? Not like the owners manual? This is great info, thanks for the help.
It is definitely a technical manual, same as the original SVX factory service manuals. Supplements were added to address changes, corrections, modifications and improvements since the manuals came out in 1992. They address such things as the dual airbag system, OBDII operating system, etc.

The PN for the 1996 Service Manual Supplement is MSA5T9605A It should be still available from your Suby dealer. Subaruparts.com has it for $30.20 plus shipping. Link is HERE

Last edited by svxcess; 08-08-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

There is also the 96 supplement available here for $28.94

http://www.bmibay.net/SVXparts.html