Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 07-22-2005, 12:40 PM

5 Speed (pedal box) question

I'm using 2002 2.5RS pedals, same as WRX pedals. From what it looks like, I'd be best off removing the clutch pedal and mounting it to the side of the SVX box. I'd be interested in pics if anyone has pictures of their modded SVX/WRX/Impreza boxes.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is this for a hydraulic setup? If so keep the clutch/brake and just use the SVX gas pedal.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Is this for a hydraulic setup? If so keep the clutch/brake and just use the SVX gas pedal.
Really? So I don't even need to modify the box other than the screw holes that dont quite line up?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
yes...almost

there are the 4 holes that bolt to the brake booster...those are fine.
the other 2 holes don't line up. You could easily weld on a plate to the pedal box so that you can bolt up the top 2 holes.

Solid pedals are happy pedals.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
yes...almost

there are the 4 holes that bolt to the brake booster...those are fine.
the other 2 holes don't line up. You could easily weld on a plate to the pedal box so that you can bolt up the top 2 holes.

Solid pedals are happy pedals.
Cool, I see now. That makes it much easier than I thought it would be. One more question, what do I do with all the wires at the firewall hole? Seems like thats the best place to put the clutch master
Old 07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Meow!

that's the only place to put it.

Take a look at the pics I took during the conversion:

http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/

As for the wires, most of them will be pulled inside the car.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
that's the only place to put it.

Take a look at the pics I took during the conversion:

http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/

As for the wires, most of them will be pulled inside the car.
which wires can I pull? I assume they're for the tcu
Old 07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Meow!

That's the ones. The 2 large connectors no longer need to pass through the firewall.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Earthworm, did you have to cut your brake or mcylinder pushrod to get it to fit?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Meow!

Definately. My dad cut it so I don't know how much he cut off. I think it's mentioned in Huck's writeup though.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
That would be a nice chunk of info for those looking to do the swap. I have been thinking of converting to hydroulic so it is easier to go 6mt if I want to. But I like the cable clutch as of right now. Perfect for me to have absolute control.

Tom
Old 07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Meow!

Having driven yours (cable), mine (hydraulic) and my dad's (cable) 5spd SVX's both my dad and myself agree that mine is by far the easiest to shift/drive.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
ah but simplicity comes at a cost. i feel I have much better control over my clutch than I ever did with a hydroulic unit. Thats just my personal opinion though.

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
ah but simplicity comes at a cost. i feel I have much better control over my clutch than I ever did with a hydroulic unit. Thats just my personal opinion though.

Tom
Tom, just an update. Pedal box is done, rear diff is modded and mounted, slushbox is out, clutch master is ready to be mounted. I'm waiting on flywheel bolts from kerbeck subaru (thursday) so I can bolt up the 5spd. Then I have to modify the shifter, make a shifter plate, cut the brake (and possibly clutch master) pushrod to accomodate pedal location, modify drive shaft (should be able to do it myself with my uncles lathe and my welder), make a stud for the starter to rest on and then reassemble. I'd say I'm about 40% to completion.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 AM
TorG0d

My own personal observations of driveline extensions: unless you're a damn good welder, I wouldn't try. I'd rather spend $100 to have it professionally lengthened and balanced than $250 or so for a new driveline, however much for a new rear diff, etc.

Of course, I don't know you, so I may be sorely underestimating your skills. If I am, I apologize, I don't mean to be insulting.

Godspeed