Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:03 PM
KCROGUEDOG

half shaft install ?

well tomorrow i get to lift the svx and install my half shaft pcv valve and o2 simulator (replaces o2 so no codes are thrown). long day. any ways on the half shaft topic do i have really have to disconnect the sway bar and mess up aliginment? my chiltons book says to mark it. heres what it says in short hand. unstake and remove axle nut. disconnect sway bar link from sway bar. disconnect abs sensor bracket from strut. remove brake hose bracket bolt and bracket from strut. matchmark sway bar lever to sway bar. remove sway bar lever. (what is the sway bar lever?) loosen sway bar bracket. remove lower ball joint pinch bolt. drive out pin in shaft. seperate ball joint. pull out shaft. is there other important info i need to know? does everything sound right for those who have done this? and is there anything i mentioned that is pointless to do? tips?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sounds like a few extra steps. I've never had to remove the ABS sensor or anything to do with the swaybar.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
There is a how-to.....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14341.doc

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's right I forgot it's also in the SVXipedia
Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
KCROGUEDOG

earthworm did u have the 5 spd when u did the shaft? would that make a differance? also the how to says nothing about the sway. i hope i dont need to touch it.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i like the svxpedia way sound detailed and very well put thanks for the referal. im still up for tips the more info the better. the harder u study the more u get to know.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Meow!

It's the same thing regardless of which transmission. We swapped the axles well before putting in the tranny. We used the same axles between the 4EAT and the 5MT.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
i like the svxpedia way sound detailed and very well put thanks for the referal. im still up for tips the more info the better. the harder u study the more u get to know.
If there's anything missing from the article in the SVXipedia use the feedback button.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
AFAIK the sway bar does not have any affect on the alignment of the car. You can even remove it completely if you so desire with no ill-affects on the alignment. Though if you do drive without it, the handling is terrible.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
KCROGUEDOG

nice to know
Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
KCROGUEDOG

install went smooth and no problems nice info. i did do something you might want to sugest on svxpedia. i removed the lower ball joint. it came out smooth to remove the 2 outside a arm bolts. i tried and tried to get them out re read and everything they wouldnt come out till the ball joint did. i had another person to hold and pull the rotor out and arm down to slide in the shaft. easy install. ty
Old 06-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
i did do something you might want to sugest on svxpedia.
That's what the feedback button is for!