How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
installing the FWD merely reduced the binding for him. The whining still occurs. I agree with getting under it while the wheels are turning to steth the problem out but that can be dangerous if it is not on a lift. This problem could merely be the center bearing on the driveshaft but we cannot tell until it is up in the air. Why cant they make cars float in the air so we can work on them easier?

Tom
Old 05-27-2005, 01:42 PM

Tom, there's a lift in Manahawkin I can prolly use.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:50 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
... If this problem becomes too expensive to deal with, I'll be looking into a 4.11 or 5spd swap.
That would have to be a pretty serious problem, but a good excuse I suppose.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your description, but it sounds like the whine only happens when you are coasting in gear and it does not happen when you have your foot on the throttle, or in neutral. That sounds much like a damaged differential whine. Wheel bearings can also behave like that. The sudden onset is interesting though. I can't explain that.

Previously you said that the whine is significantly reduced in FWD mode:
Quote:
With the FWD fuse, it doesn't bind. It does however, whine (alot less than without the fuse, but theres still a little whine). ...
If that's true, I'd say your transmission is probably just fine.

Again, I'd spend some time with a mechanic's stethoscope. They can be picked up pretty cheap and are much like the diving rods of automotive diagnostics. Finding out where the problem is located is the first step.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
... I agree with getting under it while the wheels are turning to steth the problem out but that can be dangerous if it is not on a lift. This problem could merely be the center bearing on the driveshaft but we cannot tell until it is up in the air. Why cant they make cars float in the air so we can work on them easier?
Wouldn't that be nice? "Roll over boy so we can check you out."

I've simply jacked up the front of a car to check front wheel bearings with a stethoscope. Simply turning each wheel by hand one at a time works very well. Even if you can't feel any play in the bearings, you can definitely hear the difference between a good bearing and a bad one with a stethoscope. I was trying to diagnose a transmission with a stethoscope once. The noise I was listening for only occurred under considerable load at moderate speeds. Having the engine running or the vehicle moving makes so much noise that it's very hard to hear any of the nuances.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Maniac modifier

yeah, that would be awsome. I have my stethescope...its a 2 foot long screw driver that I place on the front of my ear. Noises travel though it and i can be identified quite easily. I did this on my 5mt before she detonated and realized I was in the market for a new one.

Tom
Old 05-28-2005, 08:15 AM

bump, anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:29 PM

So I'm the only owner who ever had a problem like this? Come on guys, please chime in, I'm desperate
Old 05-29-2005, 02:47 PM
SVX Appeal

I've had that problem before. I replaced my crappy tires and it went away. Some people have replaced wheel bearings, and other people have replaced differentials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
... Finding out where the problem is located is the first step.
There are dozens of things that can make that noise. At the very least you need to find the general area it's coming from. Otherwise, start replacing parts one at a time until it stops.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The best advice has already been made in this thread - get the car up on a lift and start listening with a mechanic's stethescope or a long bladed screwdriver. All we can do is guess until you isolate where the noise is coming from ....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-31-2005, 09:36 PM

UPDATE: Just took the car out for another spin. It's binding again. I tried figure eights and they didn't help this time, so I'll assume solenoid c is indeed bad. The whining when I'm cruising is still there however and I'm going to assume these are two seperate problems. I did a couple passes with a friend outside of the car and he says that the sound is indeed coming from the transmission area. I'll get the car up on a lift later this week and hopefully I can pinpoint the problem a little more.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
UPDATE: Just took the car out for another spin. It's binding again.

Did you do this with the fuse in or out?
If it is binding with the FWD fuse in, then I believe your f/r clutch pack is stuck, or worn to the point of needing replaced.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
If it is binding with the FWD fuse in, then I believe your f/r clutch pack is stuck, or worn to the point of needing replaced.
More likely the solenoid has failed. If the FWD fuse does not immediately an completely cure the binding problem, then the solenoid is not working. A mechanical failure of the clutch itself is very unlikely. A mechanical failure of the solenoid is possible, but less probable than an electrical failure of the solenoid. I had to open my transfer case a couple weeks ago to repair my solenoid. The wire had fatigued at the electrical connector and had simply broken off. I soldered it back on, secured the wire this time, and went on my way.

Usually, when you put the FWD fuse in the FWD light will appear on the gauge cluster. If it doesn't appear, you have an electrical problem. The easy way to check the solenoid is to hook a volt meter up to the FWD fuse contacts. If you get voltage when the engine is running, the solenoid should be good or shorted. If it blows the FWD fuse, it's shorted. If you get no voltage, the solenoid has lost continuity.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:22 PM

When I put the FWD fuse in, the binding goes away. The FWD light displays on dash. The whiiring/grinding noise still happens though, but only when my foot is not on the accelerator
Old 06-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Maniac modifier

get it in the air before anyone gets anymore ideas. This way you can fix the selenoid if it is bad and find your whine while you are at it.

Tom
Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
get it in the air before anyone gets anymore ideas. This way you can fix the selenoid if it is bad and find your whine while you are at it.

Tom
Will do tom, gonna buy some more jackstands tonight