How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
THAWA

Why is drag racing cool/fun?

I don't understand it, so I'd like some others opinions, and it seems like a good chunk of the people here enjoy it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I don't understand it, so I'd like some others opinions, and it seems like a good chunk of the people here enjoy it.
the look on the kiddies faces in teh school zones is priceless! besides, the crossing guards are usually hawt.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
THAWA

I should note that I meant legal racing.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I should note that I meant legal racing.
whoops. because you press the gas and go real fast in a straight line for a few seconds, and then you get the respect of others that do the same? its a lot cheaper with the Need For Speed video game, and easier on your car, too.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
whoops. because you press the gas and go real fast in a straight line for a few seconds, and then you get the respect of others that do the same? its a lot cheaper with the Need For Speed video game, and easier on your car, too.
could i have said it better myself? i think not.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Honestly what young person with a sports car doesn't want to just gun the throttle without having to worry about avoiding stuff?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 AM
THAWA

I think you may have misunderstood my confusion

I understand why you would want to do it at a strip. I just don't understand why you would want to do it.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Exhileration? I want to do it because I'd like to see how my accelleration compares to other vehicles. A lot of my cars worth rests on whether it can compete with higher end automobiles in multiple categories such as performance and styling. As long as it competes, I love it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:

The official SVX Network flame thrower has a point

*please note that drag racing in moderation is good and fun, worshiping it may cause quickies
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Adrenaline because it doesn't matter if youve lined up next to a 10 sec.442 or the next civic you neibours grandma just bought. The xcitement of knowing that your integra almost beat a new mustang GT when all you have is intake and exahust and you have something like 200k+ on the Odo. The trill of just being there and seeing all the other cars like yours and many better. The company of people who actually know what their under hood looks like and can probably fix most of it. The sacntioning to know that you were doing it legal and controlled.

P.S. this works for autocross and rallycross as well
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 05-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I drag race mainly for three reasons:

1) It's fun and I get to chat with gearheads like myself for hours at the track...

2) It let's me know if the mods I'm doing on my car are having a +ve impact on performance...

3) It's relaxing. Kinda like fishing. You wait around for over an hour (sometimes several hours) for just a few seconds of action. That waiting time is boring for some, but I use it to relax, chat or read a book.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
It's like skydiving... you either understand it or you don't. Those who do understand it need not question their motives. Those who don't understand it need not either. For the life of me I cannot understand why drag racing is so dumb while driving in a circle (or a course with more turns which is really just an elaborate circle) is "cool". Basically you're saying either 1 - my car is not fast enough to hang with the big boys, so i'm just going to drive in a circle and tell myself that's important or 2 - i'm too much of a *insert female sex organ* to handle cars with real power, so i'm just going to drive in a circle and tell myself that's more important.

Like Chike said it's also a sense of accomplishment. Alot of guys put tons of work into their machines and nothing compares to finishing that work and seeing it come to fruition.

Sure a car that can turn is nice, but in America it's all about power. Big power. You have it or you don't. Stop whining.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
For the life of me I cannot understand why drag racing is so dumb while driving in a circle (or a course with more turns which is really just an elaborate circle) is "cool"........
Sure a car that can turn is nice, but in America it's all about power. Big power. You have it or you don't. Stop whining.
drag racing would be fun to do, and i was obviously just being a goofball. the thing about drag racing is, aside from having a quick reaction time with your foot on the throttle, there isn't a whole lot of skill involved. i think NASCAR is unbelievably boring, too, but you can't honestly say that F1 or WRC doesn't require a lot more driving skills.

having big power doesn't really require much skill, just a fat wallet. Biff can go buy a new Z06 at the dealer and have better times at the strip than Moe, who spent two years building up his car. so Biff is a better drag racer than Moe?

Old 05-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
drag racing would be fun to do, and i was obviously just being a goofball. the thing about drag racing is, aside from having a quick reaction time with your foot on the throttle, there isn't a whole lot of skill involved. i think NASCAR is unbelievably boring, too, but you can't honestly say that F1 or WRC doesn't require a lot more driving skills.

having big power doesn't really require much skill, just a fat wallet. Biff can go buy a new Z06 at the dealer and have better times at the strip than Moe, who spent two years building up his car. so Biff is a better drag racer than Moe?
I think there is a lot of skill involved when drag racing a high power drag car. Automatic AWD does not require nearly as much skill to be consistent and go fast. Saying that driving a top fuel dragster does not require skill is just wrong.

I do not mean any offense to drag racers here with the above comment.

I personally would rather go fast around a corner than in a straight line. Not because my car is slow in a straight line, but because I think it is more fun. It is a whatever creams your twinkie sort of thing. Different strokes for different folks.

My personal belief is that F1 drivers are among the most skilled in the world. They go really fast while going around corners (not just an oval). This is not to say that other racers are not skilled, but that they do not HAVE to be as skilled as an F1 driver.

Watch the International Race of Champions (not the NASCAR one) and you will see that F1 and rally style drivers usually come out on top. NASCAR usually the bottom and IRL somewhere in the middle.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Drag racing requires just as much skill as driving any course. I know this from experience. All of my professional driving training is in driving road courses and cone courses. I've had to learn drag racing on my own. There is alot more to it than you think.

Your example works both ways. I could put all the suspension goodies in my car, spend lots of money on handling and aerodynamics, and still get beat by the guy with the new stock Z06. So is he a better racer than me?

One is as hard as the other. Now if you break it down into different categories there are differences. I would agree F1 or WRC are probably the two most demanding circuit races, but then compare that to Top Fuel Drag...not even close. I would say that Top Fuel Drag racing is probably one of the most demanding things that a human can do. It's just mind blowing that it's even possible.

I always say that if someone tries to say "Circuit racing definetly requires more skill than drag racing" in general, then that means that they don't really know anything about drag racing. Honestly, you'd be very surprised to learn all of what goes into a 10 second race.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: