IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
what the hell are you talking about? lay off teh pipe, man.
I'm talking about people like us who don't have everything handed to us on a silver platter. We are (or should be) smart enough by now to know that just because you paid $150k+ for a car, doesn't mean it's better.

Quote:
how many MB's have you purchased? what exactly are you basing this on?
None. But i've worked on three, and my neighbor has owned two. He won't go near them anymore after his experience. Also i've been doing alot of research for my upcoming public speech about "perceived" reliability in foreign products, and if you talk to MB owners, you get a very different picture that MB probably wouldn't want you too see.

Quote:
if anything, you just described GM. how about all those stupid GM commercials with the Cobalt and Corvette playing ball with each other? if i see that farging commercial one more time, i'm gonna get angry. really angry.
That's a great commercial. Sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Quote:
"NASCAR guys drive Monte Carlos...therefore if i want to look like a NASCAR dude, I must buy one. I'll buy one and people will think i'm a NASCAR driver. goes with my mullet, too."
I feel I can best sum this up with a quote from someone's recent post

Quote:
what the hell are you talking about?
Quote:
your go fast mobile won't handle anything when its sitting in the garage all winter.
Your point?

That's my choice, and I see no problem with that.

Quote:
your go fast mobile also won't carry four passengers in comfort.
I had a very comfortable car that could carry 5 very luxuriously. I can't remember having more than 1 passenger on more than maybe three occasions.

Quote:
your go fast mobile probably doesn't handle very well in the rain with wide tires and RWD.
Handles as well in rain as pretty much anything else. As long as I have rain capable tires, it's perfectly fine.

Quote:
i don't see why you must continually compare your TA to my cars. i don't consider myself a racecar driver. do you?
YOU are the one who starts this everytime by taking a stab at GM. Don't blame me.

Quote:
do you go to the track very often? do you lay rubber at every redlight, and take every turn at high G's?
Do you drive at 100mph on dirt or snow? You don't need a turbo-AWD car anymore than I need a 450hp RWD one.

Quote:
i like my cars for what they do all year long and in any weather. i'd like to have a fun weekend car, but my time doesn't allow for maintaining an extra car.
I like my car for what it does in all weather. I just like to keep it pretty. I have another car that gets much better gas mileage for the daily grind.

Quote:
one daily driver for me, one for the wife. besides, i'd rather use my extra cash for something i'll get even more use out of - a nicer house. my cars do pretty much what i want as far as performance and utility. sure, im gonna spend a little upgrading the LGT, but i'm not gonna go nuts. why? i don't race it. its a daily driver. its a very *fun* daily driver, but i'm not going to kid myself into thinking i REALLY need to swap out the turbo, get bigger injectors, $5000 brakes, headers, and a custom dyno tune. many people will, just for bragging rights on teh internet. many people race, or have the money to blow on frivolous stuff like this, but i don't. i imagine 90% of the people that mod their cars heavily aren't even able to use all that performance very often. i'm very happy with my cars.
True true and true. I have no aspirations for a huge house. A plain old two story and 2000sqft will do me just fine. My cars will bring me much more enjoyment than a nice house ever would.

But to each their own, as they say.

Quote:
have fun in Shadow's World.
Right on.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
I'm talking about people like us who don't have everything handed to us on a silver platter. We are (or should be) smart enough by now to know that just because you paid $150k+ for a car, doesn't mean it's better.
who cares? i can think of worse things - how about little pieces of compressed carbon that women wear on their fingers? some diamonds sell for as much or more than a SL65, and they don't do ANYTHING except sparkle. if people didn't like them, MB wouldn't build them. its that simple - its a business.

Quote:
None. But i've worked on three, and my neighbor has owned two. He won't go near them anymore after his experience. Also i've been doing alot of research for my upcoming public speech about "perceived" reliability in foreign products, and if you talk to MB owners, you get a very different picture that MB probably wouldn't want you too see.
how does that have anything to do with MB not caring about its customers, like you said? my stepdad has a Mercedes, and when it had a problem they bent over backwards to get it corrected. they delivered a loaner, and they delivered the car to his door when it was done at the shop. sounds like they care to me.

Quote:
That's a great commercial. Sorry you don't have a sense of humor.
i have a sense of humor - i may have been funny the first 50 times i saw it. according to you, "all MB cares about is buildeing a car and advertising the hell out if it." ok, then what is GM doing with the Cobalier, then?

Quote:
Do you drive at 100mph on dirt or snow? You don't need a turbo-AWD car anymore than I need a 450hp RWD one.
not on dirt, but i live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. hills + snow is a situation where having AWD has been VERY handy. i see idiots in Trans Ams, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. every winter sliding all over the place and causing, or nearly causing accidents. AWD also helps to AVOID these geniuses.

Quote:
I like my car for what it does in all weather. I just like to keep it pretty. I have another car that gets much better gas mileage for the daily grind.
so is the money you save on gas equal to the amount you spent on the purchase price, insurance, registration, maintenance, and repair of the second car? i like one car does all myself.

Quote:
True true and true. I have no aspirations for a huge house. A plain old two story and 2000sqft will do me just fine. My cars will bring me much more enjoyment than a nice house ever would.
i could be wrong, but you'll change you tune as you get older.

Quote:
But to each their own, as they say.
even AMG SL65 owners?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
who cares? i can think of worse things - how about little pieces of compressed carbon that women wear on their fingers? some diamonds sell for as much or more than a SL65, and they don't do ANYTHING except sparkle. if people didn't like them, MB wouldn't build them. its that simple - its a business.
Very true about diamonds...but what does that have to do with this conversation? I'm simply saying that i think it's ridiculous to pay that kind of money for an IMAGE, and that people who do it are fools. I guess I would say that the same goes for big diamonds.

Quote:
how does that have anything to do with MB not caring about its customers, like you said? my stepdad has a Mercedes, and when it had a problem they bent over backwards to get it corrected. they delivered a loaner, and they delivered the car to his door when it was done at the shop. sounds like they care to me.
Hell yeah they'll do everything they can to make you happy...because you're going to be paying thousands of dollars even for the simplest repairs. Repairs that shouldn't be needed in the first place on $50k+ cars.

Quote:
i have a sense of humor - i may have been funny the first 50 times i saw it. according to you, "all MB cares about is buildeing a car and advertising the hell out if it." ok, then what is GM doing with the Cobalier, then?
GM is building a GREAT car and advertising the hell out of it. It's one thing to build a good car and have it sell well. Quite another to build an overpriced, underengineered box of expensive leather and wood and try to advertise it as a car that's better than all the others.

Quote:
not on dirt, but i live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. hills + snow is a situation where having AWD has been VERY handy. i see idiots in Trans Ams, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. every winter sliding all over the place and causing, or nearly causing accidents. AWD also helps to AVOID these geniuses.
You neglected to address my full statement. I understand the AWD part. My point is the TURBO. You say my car is unnecessary...which is true, but I say you have no need for a TURBO awd car.

Quote:
so is the money you save on gas equal to the amount you spent on the purchase price, insurance, registration, maintenance, and repair of the second car? i like one car does all myself.
Well let's see.

1996 Saturn SL2 $600
2 new tires $60
Insurance $25/month
Maintenance $6/month (one $18 oil change every three months)
Repair $2 (dome light bulb)

Gas $44/month vs. $140/month for the WS6

Having a PERFECT 1999 Lingenfelter WS6 in my garage...PRICELESS

Seems acceptable to me.

Quote:
i could be wrong, but you'll change you tune as you get older.
Why?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:

Not always, but usually.

As for the silver platter, there a lot of people with $$$ who earned it
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Not always, but usually.

As for the silver platter, there a lot of people with $$$ who earned it
Absolutely, but 99% of the time, they are not the ones driving the MBs.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Absolutely, but 99% of the time, they are not the ones driving the MBs.
Being a member of the local Mercedes Club (no, I don't own a Mercedes, but there are a couple I would certainly like to own), I would disagree with your statement. Many, if not most, of the people I know that own Mercedes came by their money by way of hard knocks - they earned it! They enjoy the car, which, except for the recent years of E-Class cars, is a very fine automobile. A bit over-priced for my taste, but not as much so as a BMW - oh my, I think I have just started ANOTHER "discussion"!!

Interestingly, this thread has shown the diversity of people and what some people like and others do not (cars are no different than food in this respect ). And fortunately, most participating in this thread have been sane and respectful of others' views - some have been on the edge in putting down another's opinion, but for the most part we have all been respectful. And I like that! Ain't America great!!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-27-2005, 11:58 AM

What's wrong with the newer E class models? My mom has a MB E500
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Hater

Quote:
Very true about diamonds...but what does that have to do with this conversation? I'm simply saying that i think it's ridiculous to pay that kind of money for an IMAGE, and that people who do it are fools. I guess I would say that the same goes for big diamonds.
it has to do with the fact that as long as people will pay money for things, they will be provided by somebody who will take their money.

sure, you and i aren't in the market for a $150,000 600+hp, leather n' wood filled luxo-cruiser, but apparently people are. what's the big deal? you'll never buy one, so don't spend another minute worrying about whether its a good value or not - the people who are buying them aren't interested in "good value".

Quote:
Hell yeah they'll do everything they can to make you happy...because you're going to be paying thousands of dollars even for the simplest repairs. Repairs that shouldn't be needed in the first place on $50k+ cars.
well if they are trying to make you happy, then they care about their customers, no?

Quote:
GM is building a GREAT car and advertising the hell out of it. It's one thing to build a good car and have it sell well. Quite another to build an overpriced, underengineered box of expensive leather and wood and try to advertise it as a car that's better than all the others.
depends on your definition of "great". for just slightly more, i could buy a WRX with AWD, more power, and IMO, a nicer interior.

Quote:
You neglected to address my full statement. I understand the AWD part. My point is the TURBO. You say my car is unnecessary...which is true, but I say you have no need for a TURBO awd car.
i say i do - because power can be a safety feature that can get you out of trouble. recent post from the legacy forums:
"So, I'm coming home from work on Friday afternoon on a main road (3 lanes in each direction) and I stop at a red light in the right lane behind six or seven cars. I'm waiting for the light and happen to glance in my rear view mirror. I see a gray car drifting over onto the shoulder about 100 yds. back and then weaving back into my lane... I continue to look and the car continues to weave without slowing down. I am able to see that the driver's head (the car is closer now) is pointed down (like she's looking for something in the console) and not looking at the road.

As fast as my 40 year old reflexes could be mustered, I slammed the LGT into 1st gear and accelerated hard and to the right into an empty right turn lane as the idiot in the gray car locked up the brakes and got sideways... I look back and I see that the gray car has stopped about 1 foot short of the car that was in front of me waiting for the light. I swear that if I drove a Legacy 2.5i I would not have gotten out of the way fast enough."

Old 04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Good morning!

Quote:

That would a personal opinion, and in many ways very true, but after siting in a 2003 Corvette yesterday just after driving a 1968 MBZ for 2+ hours I'd say that the interrior felt newer, but not nicer, with the MBZ everything (switches and such) felt smooth and precicse, even after 400,000 miles, the corvette felt auckward and clunky, infact it felt way to similar to the truck I am preparing to buy. You have indicated in the past that interriors don't affect you much, but I feel that is one of the most important parts of the car since I often spend 3-5 hours at a time there, probably 20 hours a week, and my cab is my office.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
it has to do with the fact that as long as people will pay money for things, they will be provided by somebody who will take their money.
Unfortunately the truth will never change.

Quote:
sure, you and i aren't in the market for a $150,000 600+hp, leather n' wood filled luxo-cruiser, but apparently people are. what's the big deal? you'll never buy one, so don't spend another minute worrying about whether its a good value or not - the people who are buying them aren't interested in "good value".
Obviously. But i'll take your advice and stop talking about it.

Quote:
well if they are trying to make you happy, then they care about their customers, no?
To a point, yes. If they really CARED about their customers, they'd put more than a bunch of expensive appointments in their cars. Maybe like a good reliable chassis and motor? Just a thought, but it COULD help.

Quote:
depends on your definition of "great". for just slightly more, i could buy a WRX with AWD, more power, and IMO, a nicer interior.
Ahh but now you're jumping classes. Regardless of that fact, alot of people seem to disagree with your interior evaluation. The Cobalt has hands down the nicest interior in it's class. No one who has tested the cars in that class would disagree. But it is all opinion based, so I can't say that you are WRONG. As for the price, for the same price as your WRX, I can get a G6 GTP with more power, and an interior that no one in their right mind would pass up for the econobox WRX interior's feel. But so what?

My point was there hasn't been a review of the Cobalt where it hasn't been said that "this is one of the best compacts available right now". Some contend it IS the best. That's why I said it was a GREAT car.

Quote:
i say i do - because power can be a safety feature that can get you out of trouble. recent post from the legacy forums:
"So, I'm coming home from work on Friday afternoon on a main road (3 lanes in each direction) and I stop at a red light in the right lane behind six or seven cars. I'm waiting for the light and happen to glance in my rear view mirror. I see a gray car drifting over onto the shoulder about 100 yds. back and then weaving back into my lane... I continue to look and the car continues to weave without slowing down. I am able to see that the driver's head (the car is closer now) is pointed down (like she's looking for something in the console) and not looking at the road.

As fast as my 40 year old reflexes could be mustered, I slammed the LGT into 1st gear and accelerated hard and to the right into an empty right turn lane as the idiot in the gray car locked up the brakes and got sideways... I look back and I see that the gray car has stopped about 1 foot short of the car that was in front of me waiting for the light. I swear that if I drove a Legacy 2.5i I would not have gotten out of the way fast enough."
But then you say my overpowered car is unecessary? In the time it took him to move the distance he did, I could have been at the nearest police station!

Quote:
That would a personal opinion, and in many ways very true, but after siting in a 2003 Corvette yesterday just after driving a 1968 MBZ for 2+ hours I'd say that the interrior felt newer, but not nicer, with the MBZ everything (switches and such) felt smooth and precicse, even after 400,000 miles, the corvette felt auckward and clunky, infact it felt way to similar to the truck I am preparing to buy.
Opinion yes.

I've been in three classic MBs. To compare the interiors in those martian contraptions to anything made this days is ridiculous. I'm sure it FELT more solid, because of the absence of PLASTIC (which was the norm in those days), but to say it felt NICER is pretty insane. I always thought the C5's interior was a notch nicer than my WS6's, and none of those MB's interiors even fell in the same ballpark as my WS6. Sorry, but I think you are temporarily insane.

That is, of course, an opinion.

Quote:
You have indicated in the past that interriors don't affect you much, but I feel that is one of the most important parts of the car since I often spend 3-5 hours at a time there, probably 20 hours a week, and my cab is my office.
Interiors are important to me, but I guess we have a different definition of what is important. To me, If I can still be as comfortable after 1 hour in the car as I am when I first get in it, then what do I have to complain about? Basically a pleasant color, reasonably convenient design, a comfortable seat and reasonable noise levels are all I ask for. My WS6 handles all that with extreme finesse, except maybe the noise category, but I understand that the sound deadening material required to quiet that exhaust roar would have added enough weight to the car that I would then be complaining about that. I'm not one of THOSE kinds of people,
Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Opinion yes.

I've been in three classic MBs. To compare the interiors in those martian contraptions to anything made this days is ridiculous. I'm sure it FELT more solid, because of the absence of PLASTIC (which was the norm in those days), but to say it felt NICER is pretty insane. I always thought the C5's interior was a notch nicer than my WS6's, and none of those MB's interiors even fell in the same ballpark as my WS6. Sorry, but I think you are temporarily insane.

That is, of course, an opinion.

Interiors are important to me, but I guess we have a different definition of what is important. To me, If I can still be as comfortable after 1 hour in the car as I am when I first get in it, then what do I have to complain about? Basically a pleasant color, reasonably convenient design, a comfortable seat and reasonable noise levels are all I ask for. My WS6 handles all that with extreme finesse, except maybe the noise category, but I understand that the sound deadening material required to quiet that exhaust roar would have added enough weight to the car that I would then be complaining about that. I'm not one of THOSE kinds of people,

read it again, I said it felt newer but not nicer and directley refered to how the switches and such operate after 40 years of use VS just a couple, the newer car felt new, but didn't have the precition. if you want a lighter car get rid of all the toys, they weigh more than the sound deadening...
Old 04-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Hater

Quote:
Ahh but now you're jumping classes. Regardless of that fact, alot of people seem to disagree with your interior evaluation. The Cobalt has hands down the nicest interior in it's class. No one who has tested the cars in that class would disagree. But it is all opinion based, so I can't say that you are WRONG. As for the price, for the same price as your WRX, I can get a G6 GTP with more power, and an interior that no one in their right mind would pass up for the econobox WRX interior's feel. But so what?
jumping classes? aren't they both forced induction 2.0L 4-cylinder sport compacts, priced within a thousand dollars or two of each other? if they aren't in the same class, i don't know what IS in the Cobalts class.
as far as interiors....

Quote:
My point was there hasn't been a review of the Cobalt where it hasn't been said that "this is one of the best compacts available right now". Some contend it IS the best.
those "some" wouldn't be GM fanboi's, would they?

Quote:
But then you say my overpowered car is unecessary? In the time it took him to move the distance he did, I could have been at the nearest police station!
in a panic situation like that, you would have spun your wheels and ended up with a new rear end.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?

Shadow
My point was there hasn't been a review of the Cobalt where it hasn't been said that "this is one of the best compacts available right now". Some contend it IS the best.

Shark

Shark, he is right, you can find anything to support your point on the internet, but once it is on papper it it LAW, go get a copy of motortrend, they'll set you straight
Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
jumping classes? aren't they both forced induction 2.0L 4-cylinder sport compacts, priced within a thousand dollars or two of each other? if they aren't in the same class, i don't know what IS in the Cobalts class.
The WRX is larger than the Cobalt. It is nearly identical in size and price to the G6 GTP. I think the GTP is just a tad more expensive.

Quote:
I'm sure "some" would be. But when i said it, i had in mind reviews from Sport Compact Car and Automobile magazine.

Quote:
in a panic situation like that, you would have spun your wheels and ended up with a new rear end.
Haha...no faith?

Unlike you AWD "fanbois", I do not need four wheels to help me handle big horsepower.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Hater

Quote:
The WRX is larger than the Cobalt. It is nearly identical in size and price to the G6 GTP. I think the GTP is just a tad more expensive.
maybe the G6 is too expensive - aside from the ones Oprah gave away, no one is buying them. i don't even think i've seen one on the road.

Quote:
Haha...no faith?

Unlike you AWD "fanbois", I do not need four wheels to help me handle big horsepower.
i didn't say you couldn't, but in a *panic* when you have a second to react, you mash that throttle, and wheels spin.....