Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 06:41 AM

Insurance advice: SVX vandalized

Hey guys,
I had a break in in my garage a couple days ago. They took a lot of speakers, 4 dvd players, Tools, and worst of all they spray painted all over my parts car I got from mudfoot76. So heres my question. Its in my garage so it should be covered under homeowners and its already been totalled so I doubt if it has much value but I am close to having it sold locally for 1400 (before the vandalism). Now the punks broke in spray painted the windshield, engine, hood, and entire drivers side including windows and all. So what would the car be worth? The parts or the 50 dollars written on the title. If i give the insurance company the prices from subaru parts.com they will flip, haahha. Someone else has surely had theyre ride vandalized and I was looking for scenarios that were adequate for my situation.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:52 AM

Spray paint

The spray paint can probably be easily removed from the glass surfaces with a razor blade (scraper). Believe it or not, the spray paint (depending on the type that they used) will probably come out with a buffer and polishing compound. The rubber trim will need some solvent which probably won't do the rubber trim any good.

There's probably not enough money in the insurance company's account to cover the labor neede to clean the engine.

I would think that as long as you can get some money out of the insurance company to cover the PITA elbow grease that's needed to clean off the paint on the outside of the car, you might actually still be able to sell it for close to your original asking price (as a parts car).and maybe come out ahead a little.

Still doesn't excuse the punks that did this to you. Any idea who they are or why they did it?

Last edited by gsodonis; 12-22-2004 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Ciscokid

They spray-painted the engine??? wtf??

Reminds me of Tom Arnold in True Lies: "She took the ice cube trays.....what type of sick b**ch takes the ice cube trays?"

That just blows my mind that they took the time to spray paint the engine!!

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:03 AM

Two doors down

Yeah, I think I know who did it but I cant prove it. There is a mexican family two doors down. No I dont say it because they are mexicans but because many reasons. Theyre car club is the latin azteccas and the tag left on my big garage door said bLA (something latin azteccas). I told the cop but they cat do anything unless I catch them. The people next door always spray paint theyre garbage rides and all of them have rally stripes on theyre hood just like the rush job on mine. They always drive by slow and check everything I got. They pulled the switch that unlocks the garage door so they could get back in and take the big valuables later but I reconnected it. I went out to check for footprints in the snow this morning but no luck. Im going to pound someone yet and having a survelance system put in since they are pretty cheap now. Ill post pics when I can get my flash card reader working
Old 12-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Angry

That SUCKS Mike!

How badly painted up is the engine?

Todd

Last edited by wawazat??; 12-22-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
you should leave the garage unlocked and set up a survellience system. We sell a D-Link camera that you just plug in to the wall and plug it into a network cable and you can even watch it from the internet with pretty decent quality and even record it. Quality isnt too bad, you can actually tell the faces but the key would be mounting in an area they cant see and a place that has enough light.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 AM

primer paint

The engine is mainly painted on the manifold. Itd be hard to get that nice aluminum looking finish back. Too ake it worse, it was spray paint they took out of my cabinet. Thats where they found the drills and sander. People can suck. I looked at some cameras and Im trying to decide how to run the network cable into the garage. Man, they even took time to seperate the alpine cd player from the cage that I had laying in the svx ; they were in there for a while.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Check you PM's Mike.

Todd
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 PM
justiceSVX

I say you let them see you park a supra in your garage and wait inside it with a shotgun, but that's just me.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:01 PM
SEA Sleeper

Lightbulb Sorry to hear..

sxewhodey,

My only thought is that you could paint over your engine w/ block enamel. You could even repaint silver over the heads.

Tomssvx has a flat black engine that looks really sharp.

Either way, this situation stinks and I hope you get some kind of resolve.

I too was a victim of vandalizm on my SVX. Sounds like yours got "the treatment" though.

Good luck; I hope you catch em
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM

thanks for the concern

Im gonna just go out and take some pics of their cars for comic relief this spring. One has a huge wing with a nike swoosh thing on it(its the nicest one). One has white tape racing stripe with over a hundred bullet hole stickers, and on the cream of the crop has the aztecca car club sticker to hold the windshield from cracking anymore. Two of my neighbors think they did it too so Im running outside everytime I hear a rice pitch muffler to look in their garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spanish for quick.jpg (77.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 PM

pic of rally stripes

bast*rds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stripesandoverspraylightened.jpg (74.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 12-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

Sorry to hear about the crap your neighbors pulled. It's even worse here in South Texas. If you have anything nice it needs a top-of-the-line alarm, video surveillance and armed response (means be ready to run outside in your jammies with a shotgun). Luckily in Texas there's a law on the books that allows you to use deadly force to protect your property during the hours of darkness.

I use three locks on my garage, the one built into the door and two internal. Also, never leave it unattended, friggin theives will rip you off in the middle of the day if you are gone more than a minute.

Worst part is, it's usually your neighbors.

It would be worth it to go rent a car, buy all the optional insurance, and play smash-up-dirby with their cars. Muwahahahahaha
Old 12-24-2004, 12:58 PM

i would freak! someone would have to die. get a dog from the pound, a big one...a rottie, or something else that is intimidating and park it in your garage. make sure that no one sees it in there, and when they do it again, WAM!

only kidding, the dog could get hurt, and you could suffer insurance issues...but still, i would def get them back for that one. jealous SOBs. put a melon in their exhaust pipes...put battery acid on their cars...hook up something to deliver a shock if they open your garage....cameras....you and a paintball gun with frozen paintballs inside....if it is really cold, pour water outside your garage, so they bust their arses! i would so get even!

what do you have to do to avoid something like that? get a damn mexico flag in your rearview and strap on a coffee can to your exhaust so you can be one with the flock!

fockers...get them!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:50 PM
justiceSVX

Actually kept thinking about this... I say you go over and make friends. Invite them over and leave all your guns laying around the house, just to let them know what's up. Make them food. Sometimes being nice to people like that is very effective at freaking them out, and who knows, maybe you'll make some friends if they aren't guilty.