Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
advise using caution when dealing with Stebro

I've had both good luck and bad luck dealing with Stebro. When I bought my Stebro exhaust a few years ago, it was delivered on time as promised. My more recent purchase from Stebro (a custom resonator) was a complete fiasco. Ordered it in late September and was promised I'd have it within three weeks. Five weeks later (early Nov), I receive some muffler that is nothing like what I ordered. I call up Stebro, and after describing what arrived, Dan (owner?) first asks if its good enough. (fraud detector pegged.) I tell him no, and then he says that he sent it by mistake and that he'll send me mine by three day UPS. One week later, I have nothing. I call Dan again, and he says he's going to dig up the tracking number and call me back. Never calls. This happens several times. By end of Nov, he finally gives me a tracking number that shows that the package shipped on Nov 29 (one month after the day he said he sent the correct resonator). The package goes to the import station in the US, and never goes anywhere after that. I call UPS and they tell me the sender has to initiate a trace on the package. I called Dan at least five times to request that he initiate a trace, and it never happens. I finally gave up, extensively photographed the item he sent me, packaged it up, put it in UPS back to Stebro, called my credit card company to tell them what happened, wrote Dan a long letter recounting the transaction, wrote in the letter that my credit card company was aware of the situation, and that I wanted an immediate refund. Got an email from him on Saturday saying he'd give the refund. Now waiting to see if he does it.

Anyhow, so the point of all this is that I just want to suggest that if you are going to make a purchase from Stebro, you may want to document all your conversations and transactions.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: advise using caution when dealing with Stebro

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
I've had both good luck and bad luck dealing with Stebro. When I bought my Stebro exhaust a few years ago, it was delivered on time as promised. My more recent purchase from Stebro (a custom resonator) was a complete fiasco. Ordered it in late September and was promised I'd have it within three weeks. Five weeks later (early Nov), I receive some muffler that is nothing like what I ordered. I call up Stebro, and after describing what arrived, Dan (owner?) first asks if its good enough. (fraud detector pegged.) I tell him no, and then he says that he sent it by mistake and that he'll send me mine by three day UPS. One week later, I have nothing. I call Dan again, and he says he's going to dig up the tracking number and call me back. Never calls. This happens several times. By end of Nov, he finally gives me a tracking number that shows that the package shipped on Nov 29 (one month after the day he said he sent the correct resonator). The package goes to the import station in the US, and never goes anywhere after that. I call UPS and they tell me the sender has to initiate a trace on the package. I called Dan at least five times to request that he initiate a trace, and it never happens. I finally gave up, extensively photographed the item he sent me, packaged it up, put it in UPS back to Stebro, called my credit card company to tell them what happened, wrote Dan a long letter recounting the transaction, wrote in the letter that my credit card company was aware of the situation, and that I wanted an immediate refund. Got an email from him on Saturday saying he'd give the refund. Now waiting to see if he does it.

Anyhow, so the point of all this is that I just want to suggest that if you are going to make a purchase from Stebro, you may want to document all your conversations and transactions.

4 words for you Mychalio.

I told you so.

I'd love to see if he refunds you. He owes me some money that I never got back.

If you are still interested in the resonator, I may sell mine in the near future.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Mychalio's right. Keep documentation to prove your case to the credit card company. Also only use credit cards that will reverse charges if there are problems.

AMEX won't reverse if I'm not mistaken. Don't do paypal because they have a limited time to report problems for reverse charges (30 days or something).
Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
american express will reverese if after an exhaustive investigation the charge is deemed refundable.

I had a situation with a hotel charge and american express put the charge on hold (no interest accrued) while they investigated it...
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
american express will reverese if after an exhaustive investigation the charge is deemed refundable.

I had a situation with a hotel charge and american express put the charge on hold (no interest accrued) while they investigated it...
AMEX won't reverse in Mychalio's case because apparently it's sitting in customs. They encourage resolution between the merchant and customer. If the activity on the AMEX account was fraudulent, then they will reverse very quickly. If the product was delivered or shipped, then you're screwed. AMEX's representatives once told me that I could take the merchant to court. Needless to say, I cancelled the card the same day.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
sans SVX

It was a visa card purchase. I just called UPS, and found out that the destination address for the claimed "correct" resonator is not my address, so he never even shipped me the correct part.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Mychailo. I certainly hope Stebro does the right thing and refunds your money asap...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 12-20-2004, 05:00 PM

Quote:
It was a visa card purchase. I just called UPS, and found out that the destination address for the claimed "correct" resonator is not my address, so he never even shipped me the correct part.
HAHA...I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. 3-4 invalid tracking numbers not addressed to me. Boy was I pissed.

Anyway, I did the same thing you did Mychalio. I told him to give me my money back. Within a week, I got the darn exhaust parts. The send date on the package was the date I demanded a refund.

You may get it by tomorrow.

I hate dealing with people like this.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 PM
sans SVX

Hi Harry,

I've already changed the design of my exhaust system to avoid needing his resonator, so if he sends the part, I'm going to have to see what I can get my CC company to do. What a waste of time.

Visit my locker

Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
it took 2 months to recieve my exhuast when i was promised it would ship out later this week and i would be saving money on the shipping... (rolls eyes) I was so incredibly pissed that i ordered it a month before import wars and missed BOTH of them during the summer before it came. Very much so pissed me off. Dan eventually stopped calling me back and replying to emails and as with noir when i threatened and contacted my credit card company, he shipped it out the day of. I dont know what this guy has going for customer base but its not acceptable business in my book.
phil
Old 12-20-2004, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Harry,

I've already changed the design of my exhaust system to avoid needing his resonator, so if he sends the part, I'm going to have to see what I can get my CC company to do. What a waste of time.
I agree with you. This is truly a waste of time. If you can, try to have the CC reverse charges immediately. Make sure that you let them know that you have contacted the merchant and he has not made any attempts to correct his mistake and fulfill the order. Since you already shipped him back the wrong part, you should be clear. Make sure the CC knows that he's given you bogus tracking numbers and that you don't know what he's trying to pull. That way you don't have to deal with Dan anymore.

He's a lost cause.

Would be nice to see what you're setup is.

Also I'm still interested in the sway bar, how's that coming?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:58 PM
sans SVX

I think I'll call my CC company right now.

I'll takes some pics of the setup when its complete. Hopefully, I'll have it together before xmas. :-)

Hope to get back to the sway bar in January. I got sidetracked buying a new house. Moved two weekends ago and now slowly unpacking.

Visit my locker

Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I think I'll call my CC company right now.

I'll takes some pics of the setup when its complete. Hopefully, I'll have it together before xmas. :-)

Hope to get back to the sway bar in January. I got sidetracked buying a new house. Moved two weekends ago and now slowly unpacking.
Great! Congratz on the new house for the new year.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:14 PM
sans SVX

Thanks. Its definitely a step up from my previous house. Maybe the best part is that its got a garage. :-) Can't wait to get all the boxes cleared out so I can put my car on jackstands indoors. :-)))))

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Dan. I called my CC company, and the rep said that if Stebro hasn't refunded my money in 30 days from the day I sent back the wrong part, my CC company will give me a refund and go after Stebro.

Visit my locker

Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Its definitely a step up from my previous house. Maybe the best part is that its got a garage. :-) Can't wait to get all the boxes cleared out so I can put my car on jackstands indoors. :-)))))

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Dan. I called my CC company, and the rep said that if Stebro hasn't refunded my money in 30 days from the day I sent back the wrong part, my CC company will give me a refund and go after Stebro.

That's all you need brother.

Hey if your cashflow permits, get a lift in your garage.

I plan to get one for my next house. I think used lifts run around $1500+