SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Brake Band Adjustment???

My Transmission( Subaru Remanufactured 50,xxx miles ago) shift nicely except there is a dalay from 2 to 3. And It seem slip a little during highway speed( doing 65 and accelerate slowly without drop down to next lower gear)
Is the adjustment will take care of this? Or the trany is going bad?
Thanks a lot!
92SVX with 152,xxx mile
Old 10-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Read this...

...thread in its entirety: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=21648

You'll need both a 17mm and a 7mm wrench to do the job.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-28-2004, 03:41 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Chike
Thanks for the quick reply. I read that thread before( He is slip 1 to 2 gear). But mine is slip at the different gear.
My question is what kind of transmission problem can the brake band adjustment solve? All kind of sliping gear problems?
Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by pearlm30
My question is what kind of transmission problem can the brake band adjustment solve? All kind of sliping gear problems?
Thanks again!
Tightening the brake band will also reduce the flare in the 2-3 shift as well.

I'll also recommend adding a quart of Lucas Oil Trans Additive which you can pick up from your local Advance Auto Parts for ~$7. This'll help a slipping transmission and lower operating temps to prevent overheating.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Hi Chike
Thanks for the quick reply. I read that thread before( He is slip 1 to 2 gear). But mine is slip at the different gear.
Thanks again!
The band is used in the 1st/2nd the 2nd/3rd and the 3rd/4th change. In 1st, the forward clutch is on, to change to 2nd, the forward clutch stays on, and the band is applied. In the 2nd/3rd, change the band is released, and the high clutch is applied.

Ok when the band wears, as it should, it starts to come on later and releases earler. This is first noticed in the 2nd/3rd change, because the band will release before the high clutch has come on, so the box is in neutral till the clutch grips, and you get the flair in the rpm. The 1st/ 2nd change is just delayed, staying in 1st till the band finally applies.

If the band is not adjusted, it will start to slip on the 1st/2nd change, and can also slip on the 3rd/4th change. to cause the box to start the 3rd/4th change, the band slips, it goes back to 3rd, grips changes to 4th again, slips goes back to 3rd, ect.

Yours has just started to slip, to upset the 2nd/3rd timing. A band adjustment will set the band back to the right position, and the box will run like new,

If you do the adjustment your self, loosen the big nut, don't undo the small square nut too much or it can drop the link in the box, tighten the square nut with a small spanner, to take up the slack, then back the screw off 3 full turns, lock the big nut. This sets the right position to suit the timing of the band release and the clutch engagment.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Harvey -
being ignorant of how an auto tranny/ brake band actually works this may be a stupid question, so bear with me please.

Once the brake band has worn, and you have already done the above adjustment once and then it begins slipping again, and another adjustment is needed - does the same 3 full turns rule apply or would it be more or less to account for band wear?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Harvey -
being ignorant of how an auto tranny/ brake band actually works this may be a stupid question, so bear with me please.

Once the brake band has worn, and you have already done the above adjustment once and then it begins slipping again, and another adjustment is needed - does the same 3 full turns rule apply or would it be more or less to account for band wear?
Yes Matt, same adjustment. There is a lot of lining on the band, about 5/6mm thick, so you can keep adjusting till you hit metal.

Harvey.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks again, everyone

Harvey
So I need to turn the adjusting square nut all the way clockwise and then back up 3 turns? How do I know I am at the clockwise end?What I mean is I can feel the resistance increase as I turn clockwise, do I still turn the nut until I can no longer turn?
Please clearify this for me
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Thanks again, everyone

Harvey
So I need to turn the adjusting square nut all the way clockwise and then back up 3 turns? How do I know I am at the clockwise end?What I mean is I can feel the resistance increase as I turn clockwise, do I still turn the nut until I can no longer turn?
Please clearify this for me
Thanks a lot!!!
Yes mate the book says to tighten the adjuster to 6.5ft/lbs, how the hell you can get a torque wrench in there to do it, no idea. Just tighten it with a short( 3") spanner with your fingers, till it is tight, then try to undo it three full turns. Not easy to see the screw to ensure it is three full turns.

What you are doing is tightening the band down to clamp it to the drum, then letting it back off to set the right clearence. If you don't loosen it enought, it will still be on, when the clutch comes on to give a binding effect. Loosen some more. If you loosen it too much, it will still flare.

All the best. Harvey.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Question

Anybody ever think about pulling the carpet back and drilling a hole through the friggin' floor? They do make rubber plugs for a reason, ya know...

*just being a smartass* *I do it pretty well*