How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania

Old 09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
svxgirl92

amps in the svx

OK, ya'll have to know, how do i install an amp to my stock positioned speakers in the svx? I am in the process of replacing all of the stock speakers, and need an amplifier to push the 6x9s i want. I was intending on having an amp installed when i got my subs, but that won't be for a few more months, and i need the wattage now. Can anyone help me?

~Jamie
Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM

you just need to make sure whatever amp brand you favor has a model with "high level" inputs. You take the existing speakers wires, run them into the high level inputs, then take the amp output & feed that to the new 6X9s.

One caution you may not of thought about (I don't know what you're running now) - unless the front speakers are also upgraded & amped, the rear set will be overpowering. The audio result is like you have your back to the stage at a concert.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:36 PM
svxgirl92

yeah, i want to replace all of the stock speakers, the 6x9s, 4x6s and the tweeters. and i want to amplify all of them, i just don't know how, and i really want to do it myself, i don't trust people touching my car, lol
Old 09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by svxgirl92
yeah, i want to replace all of the stock speakers, the 6x9s, 4x6s and the tweeters. and i want to amplify all of them, i just don't know how, and i really want to do it myself, i don't trust people touching my car, lol
1. They're 6.5"s
2. Come up to NJ and I'll teach you

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 PM
svxgirl92

lol, whoops, i knew they were 6.5s ok, not really, but i gotta keep my ego up there. And if NJ was a lil closer i might take ya up on that offer, lol
Old 10-01-2004, 07:03 AM

I'm sure you can lots of advice at the meet in Orlando.

I'm still a good drive from you, but if all else fails, I have all the tools if you want to do it yourself & would be there for assistance. To install all the speakers and amp(s) I think you should plan on a 6-8 hour day. Nothing is terribly hard, just time consuming to R&R the panels, run wires, etc. This assumes you do not want to take on a custom amp rack made of fiberglass or similar, but just plain-jane mounting on the back of the rear seat or other suitable location.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:18 AM
svxgirl92

woah, a custom inclosure would be awesome, but i don't see myself having the money for that right now. As far as amps and speakers go, at least to replace the stock ones, i'm thinking JL audio and Audiobahn. When i get the subs put in, i'm getting JL audo, but for the stock speakers, i'm not too particular, i just want a lil boom and better quality highs and mids.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:41 AM

This is just my opinion so take it for what little it's worth. I wouldn't put in the 6X9s. I'd either put the money into better front speakers or into some woofers.

JL Audio makes great products, but they also demand a high price. There are reasonably priced alternatives that would yield some great sound - of course it all depends on your taste & budget.

Here's a couple of sources/items for you to consider:

http://www.thezeb.com/CDTAudio.aspx?...=Cl-61a&cl-61t
the silk tweeters give a smoother sound, titanium a brighter sound.

http://www.thezeb.com/Clarion.aspx?R...anufacturer=10
Clarion amps are the same as a considerably higher priced "enthusiast" amp company (Arc Audio, KAR series amps).

Pioneer woofers are arguably the best bang for the buck of any major OEM, but for about $160 I think I'd buy this (today anyway, tomorrow???)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-404
Old 10-01-2004, 11:29 PM
svxgirl92

I'm getting subs, but not just yet. I won'tbe able to get the subs until probably january, so in the mean time, i want to build up the speakers from the stock positions.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:06 PM

high level inputs?

Dont the high level inputs sound really bad? I havent ran them but everyone always tells me "Trust me, dont run those damn high levels". Components are so cheap now and its not really much harder (if any) just to run low levels but if you really want that factory stereo then I guess thats the way to go. Less than 250 bucks should get youa pretty nice set-up and give you mp3's so you can drive forever on one cd. How dreamy, open road, loud music, exotic svx. Imagine the possibilities. hahahhah but really, your probably going to do something wrong if its your first time so you dont want to throw away money on expensive components. My two cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc06831.jpg (657.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-03-2004, 02:21 AM
MaG18

Id recomend either Boston Acoustic or MB Quart speakers

i myself have Boston Acoustic FX series front and rear, and even when i have my Sub (JL W6 =D)muted, it sounds like i have a sub, and thats just coming from the headunit, i can oly imagine what they'd sound like amped.. just my 2 cents

ohh and it would probably help if you gave an estimated budget. Because then I could think of different companies yada yadda