Originally posted by solarsvx
ohh FYI the GTO isnt even american its australian built,, with american engine,
Very true.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 09-16-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

or if you really have big enough plums, stir the pot here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=24
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Hater

oh n0s!!!11!!!1!! teh NaBISCO d0ggi3s are teh l0053!!!111!11!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Well now i've heard it all. "Down-market" Corvette interior? So let me get this straight - you drive a Subaru, lust after a 4-door grocery getter with a turbocharged weedwacker engine, and you don't see anything weird about calling the Vette's interior "down-market"? The interior's on STI's and EVO's can't hold a candle to even a base Camaro interior...let alone a T/A, GTO, or Corvette. Don't even kid yourselves. It's not even close.

You know why I keep posting about this stuff here? Because I can't get enough of your reactions. It's like a primate study. It's fascinating to see how you people think. This site is like a different planet where the laws of earth do not apply. It's downright fascinating.

I belong to the largest f-body forum there is...it's called LS1tech, and it's very informative. Most importantly, at least 80% of the members there are realistic. You don't just hear GM flag waving, T/As can't beat anything...etc. They accept and learn from people outside of their world. In fact, several members regularly peruse "enemy" boards in an effort to learn more from and share info with those boards' members. They will post their findings and even provide links to relevant threads in those other forums. This is much like my rousings here. However I don't post links to threads here because LS1tech members may follow them here and start posting on this site...believe me you don't want that. There are several members that hang out over at NASIOC and keep things in check. Several NASIOC members visit LS1tech from time to time. Haven't heard any of them raving about STI interiors though.

So in closing...keep up the good work, I'm always in need of a good laugh after a tough day at work.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Well now i've heard it all. "Down-market" Corvette interior? So let me get this straight - you drive a Subaru, lust after a 4-door grocery getter with a turbocharged weedwacker engine, and you don't see anything weird about calling the Vette's interior "down-market"? The interior's on STI's and EVO's can't hold a candle to even a base Camaro interior...let alone a T/A, GTO, or Corvette. Don't even kid yourselves. It's not even close.

You know why I keep posting about this stuff here? Because I can't get enough of your reactions. It's like a primate study. It's fascinating to see how you people think. This site is like a different planet where the laws of earth do not apply. It's downright fascinating.

I belong to the largest f-body forum there is...it's called LS1tech, and it's very informative. Most importantly, at least 80% of the members there are realistic. You don't just hear GM flag waving, T/As can't beat anything...etc. They accept and learn from people outside of their world. In fact, several members regularly peruse "enemy" boards in an effort to learn more from and share info with those boards' members. They will post their findings and even provide links to relevant threads in those other forums. This is much like my rousings here. However I don't post links to threads here because LS1tech members may follow them here and start posting on this site...believe me you don't want that. There are several members that hang out over at NASIOC and keep things in check. Several NASIOC members visit LS1tech from time to time. Haven't heard any of them raving about STI interiors though.

So in closing...keep up the good work, I'm always in need of a good laugh after a tough day at work.
so you are the General Motors missionary?

i'm not the only one who thinks the Vette's interiors have been pretty craptastic over the years. it appears they finally made some progress in the new C6's after how many years?

"You pop inside the new Corvette by squeezing an electric door latch. This opens up a dual-cockpit interior that will surprise long time 'Vette owners with its high quality trim and excellent fit and finish. Finally!" Motorweek

"Those who believed the C5's interior to be cheap will feel more substantial in the new car's cockpit." Corvette Action Center

there's more i'm sure, but its getting late.

so finally after many decades GM decides to put a decent, non-tupperware interior in their flagship model! oh wait, i'm the only one who believes this.

it appears Mr. Shadow is actually the one living in the fanboi dreamworld.

is the STi interior in the same league as a Mercedes? hell no, i never said it was. is it a good interior considering the price of the car? yes it is. unfortunately, you can't say that about Corvette interiors until 2005 (unless you're a fanboi )

i really do enjoy having you here, Mr. Shadow, because you provide me with a good laugh. whenever a car discussion thread pops up, i await your arrival to save us fools with your GM sermons. i want to believe! hallelujah!

Old 09-17-2004, 06:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
wow my eyes,, too much to read.

Well now i've heard it all. "Down-market" Corvette interior? So let me get this straight - you drive a Subaru, lust after a 4-door grocery getter with a turbocharged weedwacker engine, and you don't see anything weird about calling the Vette's interior "down-market"? The interior's on STI's and EVO's can't hold a candle to even a base Camaro interior...let alone a T/A, GTO, or Corvette. Don't even kid yourselves. It's not even close

weed wacker engine, LOL any time u wanna toy with the big boys let me know,

u show me any muscle car that runs 1.60's 1.70s on stock street tires ill buy every one here a drink =>

except for todd he owes me one,
Old 09-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Certified Porschephile

I'll concede the new Vette, but any Camaro? You must be kidding. Have you ever been in a IROC? It's like a Mattel Staff Car. I'm a GM loyalist when it comes to blowing the doors off of rustangs but plant your feet on the ground. My famil has been a GM family since my dad could drive. We bled Oldsmobile red and even had two restored show cars. And what happened? They killed it. For what? Hummer? GM is in trouble just not as much as the blue ovel losers. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are making double digit increases in market share and how do ford and GM answer? The recal machine, aka ford focus and the ION! Give me a break. I'd love to be able to drive a Chevy for work, but GM gave the police car market to ford. ford is currently being sued in federal court after numerous Crown Vics have blown up after being rear ended. Never heard of a Maxima or Altima blowing up. The Impala is a POS as well. When GM builds a rally car for the street I'll look. But a STi has AWD and is faster then a Z-28 and you could ACTUALLY sit in the back. Let it rain or snow and tell me you'd pick the Chevy.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Honestly Shadow, when I speak of the down market interior in a Corvette/Camaro I'm speaking from experience - as I used to own a '95 Z28. My wife hated that car, the plastic center console and dash was flimsy and the fiberglass body would creak and groan as the car was driven. When I was looking at corvettes (around the time I was shopping for my prev '00 Lightning), after seeing the same cheap fit-n-finish in a 40K+ car, my wife refused to let me buy one. We were in agreement that it was a waste of money...

Mitsu and Subaru don't advertise the EVO and STI to be anything but no-holds-barred awd street legal rally cars with minimal ammenities. GM on the other hand, advertised the corvette to the performance luxury crowd...

The interior on my SVX can't compare to a Lexus, but my wife and I both agree that it's light years better than the camaro and previous corvettes... (C6 interior is sweet!)

-Chike

Old 09-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Hater

Chike and PA_SVX -

you really don't know what you're talking about and neither do i. just admit that you are both lying, and i will admit that i really haven't owned GM's most of my adult life and driven in countless friends and family members GM's.

WE'VE ALL BEEN HYP-MO-TIZED BY SUBARU!!!

Father Shadow, in his infinite wisdom, has come to show us all the way! so jam your friends in the back seat with some lubricant and a tire iron, get ready to slide off the road in the snow ("hello? OnStar?"), and rub your hands all over that $40,000 plastic goodness, because i have seen the light!

Sociology is the study of people who do not need to be studied by people who do. lay off the crack, Skip.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:34 PM

Another GM fan here,

but I'm not going to take sides or anything. Ever since I started looking at cars, I know my dream car has always been a camaro ss. I'm currently on my second camaro (granted I'm only 20, and the svx I'm buying in a few months will be car #5), and couldn't be happier. On highway trips, I consistantly get 35+ mpg. I never liked Subaru, and never thought I would ever even walk onto a Sube lot. But then I saw the SVX. I think that it either took over as being the car of my dreams, or is equal to the ss. The svx opened me up to Subaru, and they've just kept releasing more cars that I think are great (wrx, sti, new legacy turbo). As I'm maturing, so are my tastes and thoughts towards cars. Now that I'm married my wife is trying to convince me that we need a 4-door car (she's in love with the magnum), and I'm starting to understand her logic behind it. The svx is going to be my car, and I love coupes. But sports cars aren't always the best choice for everyone. As cool as it would be to have a a new sports car (z-28, 350z, gto, etc), these kinds of cars aren't what we need, and unfortunately, are current financial status doesn't allow for two new cars. So when we do trade in the camaro for a new car, it will more than likely be for a sedan. With this whole mulletmobile/ricermobile thing going on between the corvette/camaro crowd and the evo/sti crowd, I think it's pointless. Like the saying "different strokes for different folks". I love my camaro. Is the fit and finish a little cheaper than a lot of other cars? Yes, but I don't mind it because I like the car. I absolutely hate 4-cylinders, but I'm sure one of those h-4's in an STI could change my mind about that. That's why when we do trade in the maro, I'm going to try and get her to at least test-drive an sti. I guess what I'm saying is that each car was made to do what it does, it it does that. The camaro and corvette were made to go fast in a straight line on dry pavement (although the c6 does pretty well in the curves as well), and the sti and evo were made to be crazy fast, sideways around the corner ground huggers (although they are extremely quick in a straight line for their price). I hope this long rant/i don't know what it is made sense to everyone, if not, I'm sorry

Last edited by majeskyb; 09-17-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I was in the same sort of situation as you, majeskyb, when the sprogs arrived which is why I ended up with a Forester XT. keeps me happy on the performance front, and keeps 'er indoors happy with the practicality. Soupercars are great when you are single minded, but when you have spread your seed, a little practicality comes into the equation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Certified Porschephile

I was thinking on a more broad point. My disillusionment with the current big 2.5 product portfolio. Chrysler is trying but let's look at the biggest car segent there is; mid size sedans:
Chevy: Malibu - Not bad but far from pretty
Pontiac: G6 - has potential, have to see more
Olds: Dead
Buick: LaCrosse - new maybe improved, have to be 55y/o to be excited
Caddy: CTS - looks good, especially in V form, way more expensive then anything else on the list
ford: Taurus - boring, dull, small, cheap, ugly, rides rough, etc...
Mercury: Sable - see above
Lincoln: LS - bigger then mid size; Zephyr all-new midsize luanches with the luxo brakthrough of FWD!
Dodge: Stratus - hello Enterprise
Chyrsler: Sebring - has been
Let's look outside the U.S.
Subaru: Legacy - now available with a Turbo 4, better styling
Nissan: Altima - new SE-R model has 255hp V-6, great looker
Toyota: Camry - boring bland exterior, rock solid reliable
Honda: Accord - got uglier then last gen, will run forever with A+ depriciation
Mazda: 6 - not bad, for a ford! no, looks like a winner
Mitsubishi: Galant - losing money so fast, looks like the red sea at Mitsu
Everything European is usually more expensive
These are my thought, and I welcome additions, subtractions, and comments.

Dan
Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I can undertsnad your reasoning and logic majeskyb as I'm in a similar situation. After owning my '00 SVT Lightning, I never thought I could consider buying a car with less than 8 cylinders - the brawny V8 engines, amazing power and deep rooted American spirit brought smiles to my face for miles and miles of driving...

However, my wife came home one day and said she was pregnant, and in an instant my SVT Lightning didn't meet my family's needs. The SVX did and the rock bottom price I paid for mine just sweetened the deal and I've been happy ever since.

When I look for another car in ~'06, I realize that awd is very important to me now, as I live out in the country and when it snows, a plow doesn't come through for 2 days. Having a 4 door sedan is also biggie as my son will be bigger and we'll have more and more stuff of his to tote around when we go places.

While I love the Volvo S60R in all of its quirky sportiness, the updated Evos just have an amazing bang-for-buck factor that will be hard to pass up. Even if I don't get the MR, I can get the standard '05 Evo with the updated turbos and electronic center diff for 30K. If I buy one in '06, I could either buy a new one still on a dealer lot for 27-28K or a slightly used one for 1-2K less. At that price, the Evo will be a steal!

Either way, I appreciate your comments majeskyb, and all the best to you and your wife. I love a hearty discussion among intellectual adults. Resorting to name calling never does anything but infuriate people and degregate the value of the discussion at hand.

-Chike

Old 09-17-2004, 09:08 PM

Decided to make a little spreadsheet, if anyone wants to look at it. My wife and I are starting to look at cars. We're planning on trading in the camaro in 2008. By then, I will have my re-enlistment bonus, and should be at least an e-5. She will at least have her bachelor's if she isn't in or done with graduate school. My only criteria were at the most the car cost $40,000, I'm not the biggest fan of fwd (hence the lack of japanese cars), even though I do like the grand prix and bonneville. All cars have leather seats, nav system if available, and the highest trim level available for the car. Also, if you want, you can enter your trade-in value and down payment, and it will do a rough estimate for a 60-month loan or lease (lease based on a 46% residual). If you do check it out, let me know what you think and leave any ideas to make it better. Thanks!

Car Spreadsheet
Old 09-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by majeskyb
....... nav system if available.......
you can save a few bucks (thousands) by just getting a portable Nav system (Garmin, etc.) as opposed to a factory installed one. that way you can use it in all your cars, and still have it when your car is eventually sold/traded.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: