Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-04-2004, 01:27 AM

Registered SVX
Semi-new to the forum... (Warning, noob questions enclosed)

Greetings and salutations to all.

As I've recently become re-intrigued by this unique vehicle, I figured I'd stop by here and pick the collective brains contained within.

Now... I'm certain answers to what I'm asking have been posted time and time again... However, after about 2 hours of surfing through the voluminous amounts of information here, I'm not seeing a specific thread in regards to a 'Buyer's Guide'...

I'm thinking about purchasing an SVX locally ('95... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=24)

In that vein, I was looking for something to give me an idea of what to look for to avoid costly repairs right off the bat.

However, I've read quite a bit within these pages that concerns me...

From what I've read here, these cars appear to be very high maintenance and rather unreliable with monthly cost of ownership quickly eclipsing the total cost of the vehicle.

Is this accurate? Or have I simply been reading the wrong threads?

As with most... I'm your typical working stiff and simply don't have $300+ a month to drop on repairs.

However, living in Wisconsin, I'm looking for something that's good in the snow, and preferably has some class. I'm not a hard driver; I'm not a performance driver. I'm simply a fan of handsome vehicles that can get me from point A to point B with occasional random wanderings to C and D as whim demands...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated... Tips on where to start for research, friendly advice... Anything.

I thank you for your time in advance...

--Wulf

(Edit: In addition, I'm curious as to how roomy the cockpit is.... This tends to be an issue for me with anything in the way of coupes being 6'2" . One of the things I truly loved about my DeLorean (R.I.P... Totalled by a drunk driver whilst parked in '98) is that it was designed by a man who was 6'5" and had more room than I knew what to do with.)

Last edited by Knightwulf; 09-04-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:44 AM
Hater

Re: Semi-new to the forum... (Warning, noob questions enclosed)

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightwulf
From what I've read here, these cars appear to be very high maintenance and rather unreliable with monthly cost of ownership quickly eclipsing the total cost of the vehicle.
the main thing to be aware of when purchasing an SVX (or any low-production car) is that previous maintenance and care is important. does the owner have records and receipts of maintenance and repair? is the engine bay clean? does it even have the owners manual???

SVX's made after 94 (95?) have all the transmission updates, etc. and will generally have less miles, wear and tear, etc.

keep in mind that many of the people you see on here with problems have purchased this $35,000 (in 199_) car with 150,000 miles or more for a couple thousand dollars. if you are willing to take some time to do some research and shop around, you will find that the SVX is very reliable when maintained properly. i bought my '97 a few years ago, and aside from regular maintenance, the only failure i've had was an $80 coil pack. the majority of my cash went into modifications for improving the car's weak spots (transmission filter/cooler, rotors).

many times, the first post you will see by a member here is "how do replace the radio?", meanwhile they just purchased a high mileage car with known "hot transmission problems", and a transmission cooler is low on the list of priorities if its even one at all.

the SVX is a great and reliable car.......if it hasn't been neglected.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:03 AM

Registered SVX
Thanks a ton for the reply. I'll take all the info and advice I can get.

By the by,... You have the SVX I eventually want to get my hands on... An Ebony '97.

Beautiful vehicle you have there.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:21 AM
Hater

thanks, search the forums and you'll find a wealth of information. check these sites, too, if you already haven't:

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/

http://www.subarusvx.com/

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/howto/howto.html

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-04-2004, 07:26 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
thanks, search the forums and you'll find a wealth of information. check these sites, too, if you already haven't:

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/

http://www.subarusvx.com/

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/howto/howto.html
All excellent resources. Thanks again for your assistance. Though I do feel rather sheepish for not even noticing the "SVX or Subaru Links" which contain all of these. Ah well.. Live and learn.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:47 AM

some people don't like the way she handles in the weather, i loved it. she was a great car that kept me safe and sound.

reliability...i spent at least 200 a month on that car. rotors, bearings (twice), tranny was going....window thingy...lots of stuff....odds and ends, but what do you expect with a 10 year old car?

roomy? yeah for me, i'm 5'4". i have heard complaints about the roomyness, but that is something that you would have to see for yourself. i babied her, every new sound ment a trip to the mechanic. good oil changes every stationed time...serviced perfectly by a man who owned a svx himself and an old subie god mechanic. when she was in my hands, i took care of her

welcome to the network. good luck in your search.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.

Last edited by SHISVX; 09-04-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:01 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

The SVX is awesome and pretty reliable. it has never left me stranded thats for sure. Main thing you should be concerned about is the transmission problems which can be solved by getting a tranny cooler. I just installed a cooler in my car this past week and it has taken a load off my mind. If you find one and get to test drive it see how the car shifts and listen for that loud howling from the back. If you hear a loud howling that would indicate bad bearings. I'm a 19 yr old college student and i can afford one so im sure you can too . Its an awesome car and a head turner. I love it!!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-04-2004, 02:06 PM
SVX Appeal

"No news is good news." The opposite also holds true. The simple fact is, unless there's a problem, you don't hear about it. There's thousands of people out there driving SVXs who've never had a significant problem and thus, haven't found this forum while searching for a way to resolve it. I've no doubt that the considerably large membership on this forum is primarily composed of people who had a problem, asked about it, and have never returned. Few people actively participate unless there's a problem to gripe about - even many of the true enthusiasts.

I would say the SVX is somewhat worse than many other cars, but not so much worse that it would sway me from owning one. It has many positive qualities that outweigh the few deficiencies - and this forum does magnify those faults considerably.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:43 PM
no limitation as limitation

i got stranded once because i didn't pay atention to the altinator warning lights and she lost all her juce. def put a trans cooler on it and do a t-tec at the juffy lube to swap the lube to synthetic. personally i would like to switch all the drivetrain fluid to synth. if you test drive it check the tranny fluid after driving it and working trough the gears mostly so you can smell if its burning checking for color isn't always the best way to find a problem. and make sure the rear windsheld wiper squrts properly mine seems to squrt on the inside?!!?!?

oh and if it has a bra take it off before you buy it. my bumper is cracked and the 'bass star' put a bra on it to cover it up. still it only cost me 1500 so it was a good deal
Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 AM

Approaching my first year in the SVX and I could hardly be more pleased. I came across a solid example with typical, minor SVX troubles (cracked radiator, roaring bearings, leaky hoses... just enough to make the previous owner trade) and, with those problems corrected, have since performed only what I consider routine maintenance for a car of its vintage and mileage. For the money, I simply don't believe I could do much better. It's quick and comfortable, and the best looking car on the road.

UberRoo raised the excellent point that we tend not to read about the satisfied SVX customers. Hanging-out here and reading all the mechanical horror stories can indeed make one a bit paranoid. It took quite awhile for me to get to the point that I didn't close my eyes and grimace every time I turned the key, and I still catch myself obsessing over gear-shifts. Finally, I'm beginning to relax and appreciate what I have.

And, as with buying any used car, you can always use a dash of good luck.

dcb
Old 09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
reliable

I would say this car is very reliable. You say you don't drive hard, so that makes the SVX perfect for you. If you just drive it normal and take care of the fluids, then it'll last a long time. The only major problem I've ever had (toasted tranny) was because I was stupid and brake torqued the heck out of it. My rotors are still good, engine is great, bearings are fine (Even with aftermarket wheels). My opinion is that the SVX is super reliable until you start getting all over it. Even then, it's still pretty reliable. So, find one that's in good shape, take care of it, and it'll take care of you. It's awsome in the snow!!

-Mat

Edit: I'm 6'4", and I drive from NM to AZ 2x every year, and I drive from NM to MI 1x every year with no problems. It's roomy enough, and comfy enough that I can drive 15hr days without much fatique in my body. My eyes get crazy tired, but the butt and back are fine. Oh yea, ladies, I said FINE!!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me

Last edited by SVX10; 09-07-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
you are very correct on this one. I bought the car back in April 2002... Since then, mostly minor, one more major issue.
First off was a brake job June 2002. ($600)(front brakes complete, rear pads)
Feb 2003($450) one rear wheel bearing, allignment, tranny flush
July 2003($1300) Water pump, timing belt, 5 new pulleys(all melted due to overheat from lack of working water pump)
Sept 2003($400) 4 new tires
Still no work needing to be done yet, and it's a year later..i'm quite surprised

In all honestly, that's why I've been away...no problems with the car...i'm not very knowledgable about problems and how to fix them, so i'm rarely any help...

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
"No news is good news." The opposite also holds true. The simple fact is, unless there's a problem, you don't hear about it. There's thousands of people out there driving SVXs who've never had a significant problem and thus, haven't found this forum while searching for a way to resolve it. I've no doubt that the considerably large membership on this forum is primarily composed of people who had a problem, asked about it, and have never returned. Few people actively participate unless there's a problem to gripe about - even many of the true enthusiasts.

I would say the SVX is somewhat worse than many other cars, but not so much worse that it would sway me from owning one. It has many positive qualities that outweigh the few deficiencies - and this forum does magnify those faults considerably.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I've only been DITW with this car twice. Once when the water pump seized, and once, recently when the tranny seized. Nothing else has ever given me serious problems and I used to drive the thing like a Ferrari.
Do what you can to keep it cool and running smooth and it is as reliable as any vehicle out there, with just as much, if not more class.

Come to SVXN for the tech, stay for the free chow.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:43 PM
BoondockSVX

Extremely reliable car, as long as it has been well maintained. The only thing UNRELIABLE about the SVX is it's wheel bearings and transmission. Everything else is pretty great. I'm also living in WI, which is one of the reasons I sought out a SVX. I have never regretted it.

- Jim
Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Registered SVX
Just want to say thank you to all the wonderful denziens of these forums for your experience, advice and wisdom.

Not to mention making me feel very welcome.

--Wulf