Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 12:39 AM
jerm781

help finding tranny lines

I think I'm leaking fluid from a transmission hose but I am not sure where they are located on the tranny itself. I can see it goes into the filter and radiator but I cant find where it goes into the trans. are they on top of the trans? if so how do I get to them?
My trans shift fine with no problems but it leaks down onto the exhaust and smokes. I keep checking the level but its hard to tell how much I'm loosing
Old 06-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Does the level drop on the tranny dipstick? You could also be leaking ps fluid. It is actually transmission fluid that is used in the ps system.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-30-2004, 07:58 AM

There are two small curved rubber hoses (probably 5 to 6 inches long) that serve to connect the pair of metal transmission fluid lines that run along the driver's side of the engine from the radiator, on the one hand, and the pair of metal transmission fluid lines that run from the transmission into the engine compartment, on the other hand. If these hoses are leaking, fluid will run down the hard metal lines leading to the transmission and will drip on to the exhaust.

You can see these hoses by looking down into the engine compartment on the driver's side just behind the engine. There is quite a tangle of hoses and lines in this spot, so take your time -- the two hoses I'm talking about are at the "bottom" of this tangle.

These two hoses are quite a PITA to change (having just done it myself).

Hope this helps.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 AM
jerm781

I found the hoses thanks for the info. The upper hose is covered with dirt and grime so i think(hope) thats whats leaking. whats the part # for a replacment or can I just buy some tranny hose from the store? I'm not sure what the size is.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:05 AM

Subaru part no. 45521PA051

$12.59 per hose at subaruparts.com

As for the size if you want to try to get some aftermarket hose, I can't help you -- you'd have to remove one of the hoses and attempt to match up the size.

Joe Filli
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 06-30-2004, 10:50 AM
mark10t

As stated in an earlier post, are you sure it's 'tranny' fluid? If you're seeing 'red spots' on the driveway, it might be a power steering hose leak- they are probably more prone to leakage that the transmission lines. (If you're using the correct 'stuff', there is ATF in your power steering system.)

Good Luck in finding it.

-Mark