Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Midwest Region

Old 03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
not just a fan, a Member!

schaumburg subaru

anyone has any experience with schaumburg subaru??
if and once my tranny gets fixed (again) i would like to take my svx there for a minor restoration (fixing the passenger side window and fixing the air blower)

or, if any of y'all know some subaru master techs who knows svxes, hook it up....

i got my car back on the road temporarily yesterday.... and even tho it was running like crap, i really missed the svx.... but on the other hand, i'm really at the end of the straw in terms of fixing things... this is my last attempt... (thank god for warranty on the tranny)...

sigh... i was on the verge this morning of getting both of my cars to a random audi dealership to trade it in for a used a4....
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:52 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I know them well. They are great!
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 AM

thanks lwin...
yeah, that was the reason i ended up calling you so late yesterday, cuz i was fussing over the freakin tranny again....

Old 03-26-2004, 10:12 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
They rebuilt my tranny for me. John is a nice guy, and helps me out a lot.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
good guys... just don't even freaking think about going to Gary Lang Subaru.... THe other place you might consider some of your SVX stuff is "Import Motors" its right near Schaumburg. One of the techs owns a 1992 SVX, and the other is a subaru master tech, that used to work at the subaru dealer, before it was changed. also good guys, but they kept the dealers price points on most of the stuff.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
msatpro

lowerlake michigan area

How do you enjoy Mad town?
Do you know a drummer named Dave Krenz?
Let me know if you ever need any assistance, I am an owner, driver, and Mechanic of these beutifull cars. I recsently left the Jaguar dealer in Wilmette Il, two citys north of Chicago and am still doing auto repair work as Mike's Auto/Smart Solutions.
Our family summer-place is up near Wausaukee Wi.
I just did the driver side window on mine a few days ago.
Is it your pass moveable or stationary glass?
I had to bring my 92 to a dealer to get the warranty on a new trans and almost brought my it to schaumburg. I have heard mostly good reports, but Evanston was a lot closer and I felt I should give them a try. I asked them to correct a couple of problems related to install, and will report back completely, later.
Mike S
Old 03-30-2004, 11:40 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Just dont go to Roto on Rand road (i think it's arlington heights...if not, mount prospect)

Horrible service, and they only have 1 subaru tech, and he had never even heard of an SVX when I went there.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
Just dont go to Roto on Rand road (i think it's arlington heights...if not, mount prospect)

Horrible service, and they only have 1 subaru tech, and he had never even heard of an SVX when I went there.
I second that! I will never go back their for anything.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:20 PM

well... right now the motor moves on the passenger side window, but the window is not moving.... when you pull it up manually, it drops down automatically....

anyone knows how much i'd have to spend to get this fixed??

Old 03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
msatpro

power window regulator

That repair is called replacing the power window regulator, it would cost about $125 for the part, and take a round an hour including lubing and checking all the lock and latch mechanisms, and vacuuming out any pieces that might annoy somebody sliding around in there! A dealer might charge $125 - $225. I have charged $75 - $150 depending if I had to hunt down any door clips that had broken off previously, window switches, speakers replaced etc. You probably could do it yourself, if you are willing to get dirty and have a lot of patience. I will add that there a couple of things you should watch out for:
1.) DO NOT STRIP THE PHILIPS HEAD BOLTS holding the window motor to the regulator. I usually have to use an impact (the kind you hit w/ a hammer) driver that was the only thing able to get mine loose! I also exercised patience soaking the threads several times, over the course of an hour or so.
2.) fitting it in and out is well, intresting.
3.) Oh yeah, remember to install the mounting studs from the old ones BEFORE you wrestle(and I mean wrestle) it in the new one.
There are only the steps to watch out for as long as you get it installed and it doesen't scratch the glasss going up and down!

oh crap, I guess I'll volunteer to drive 1/2 way if you want me to do it for you! Actually I LOVE working on these cars over any other, and I use to work on Brand new Jaguars (which incedentally have the same JL mark on all most of Jaguar wheels)
My labor for mobile service usually varies from $45 $55/hr depending on where and WHEN people are requesting my services. I do service for a carpet cleaning fleet located about 10 miles from me and they call when they need to and pay extra for travel and expedient attention (quick diagnosis and repair)
I have an OBDII scanner via my laptop for all cars after 95 as well. I would rather travel to work on an svx than work on a lesser car for more money in my neighborhood.
I ate at a street cafe on a one way/parkway kind of street last fall, and it was one of the few times I had been to Madison.
I lived in Chicago -oregon -west virginia back2-chicago and I still haven't really gotten "drunk" in Mad-town.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hey, give me a call. We should meetup one day. I've been busy lately
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM

i'm going to be around chicago this weekend.....

Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Really Senior Member

Hi all-
I have been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. As Lwin knows, I am on my second SVX, this time, a 96 LSi which I bought in July 2002 with 46K. It now has about 63K. I have had it serviced a few times at Roto because they are the closest dealer to my work in Des Plaines. They do have one master mechanic (Frank) who does know his way around SVX's but the Service desk is so impersonal and have such a "don't give a sh--" attitude that I hate to go there. Also, in one case when my power steering hose broke and it had to be towed in, Frank quoted a figure to fix it but when I picked up the car, the desk charged me about $75 more. Frank took up the battle and got me a refund.

Lwin first recommended Schaumburg and then, about that same time, he had a problem with them and unrecommended them. That was about two years ago. Right now, I need the oil changed (Mobil 1) but I hate to have Roto even do that but Schaumburg is so out of the way. I guess, based on all the recommendations here and the fact Lwin is back with them, I won't go back to Roto for anything more major than an oil change.

If any of you guys want to get together locally, Lwin has my telephone number.

Sold 92 Pearlie in 2002 and 96 Polo in 2009, both to Earl Steele. Currently driving 2004 Acura TL
Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 PM

i'm heading down to pick up the svx on friday... probably will get to the shop about 4 or 5 pm (i wish i can get there earlier, but i have time commitments here in madison until noonish, which means it'll run over until like 1pm).... the shop is located near ohare so if y'all want to grab a quick dinner at arlington heights i'm all up for it...

lwin, i will also bring the lcd stuff down.... i will trade you your old lcd setup for your labor in putting in a stereo system in my svx and maybe the window stuff is that's not too complicated =)

Old 04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
msatpro

JL symbol decphered

I just discovered what the JL symbol means on our rims as well as Jaguar and many others. It is the equivilent of the DOT mark on u.s. rims. You all may have known that, but it's new info to me.
Do I sense it might be time for me to get together w/ other svx'ers locally? I have never really done that. I just started paying more attention to this group rescently since it seems a lot more active than the yahoo club. I do think it is a valuable resource and try to help out when I can w/info etc.
I don't know who was being addressed about dinner several posts back. I am glad to set aside an hour or two this weekend, I just finished watching two friends houses and dogs this week , so I don't have much side work going untill next weekend.
I'm going to Evanston Subaru today to show them the scratches due to them setting both axles on top of the stock rim's face during trans service ( I SAW IT )! I am assuming they will take care of me on that and another issue. The proof in a dealerships quality is what they do to correct their error when you POLITELY bring it to the attention of the service manager. I will remain positive for now. I spent just shy of 4 big ones since I desired the factory warranty on parts AND labor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: