IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2004, 04:59 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Ditto. Except for the redneck part. Pontiac has no association with such.
Hey, I've owned 2 '84 T/A's, both Bandit's, and both beat to snot. If that don't define the color of your neck, than I don't know what does. But don't get me wrong, I loved the both of them, and have plans to get another T/A some day, either a '76 SE, a '77 SE (The Bandit), or an '84 Mecham MSE.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 03-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Sold. :'-(

1) Lamborghini
There's just something about that V12...if you've never driven one, you simply wouldn't understand. I've been blessed to have driven several, in association with an Exotic Dealer friend. The early cars were very easy to drive, btw...the 350GT 400GT2+2 and Islero were simply incredible GT cars, and I will own an Islero someday. The Miura and Countach were incredible as well, but were more difficult to drive...The Diablo really was the transition for them. It began easier to drive than the Countach, and ended with the 6.0VT, easilly being the best Lamborghini ever built to that time. Now with the Audi-enhanced Lamborghini Murcielago and Gallardo (Mur-she'-a-la'-go, Guy-yar'-doe), they have truly become world class cars in all respects; not only in performance, but also in driveability and build quality. Saying they are now better built cars than their competition down the road is an easy thing to do, since Ferrari are still mostly robot-assembled and their paint quality is awful. (Please, look it up before saying Ferrari are all hand-made...they're not).

2) Ferrari
Yup, even though they have issues with build quality, paint, and maintenance (service on a 348 can run you $12K!), I still love the prancing horce of Maranello. The GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo are truly amazing pieces of automotive art and history, but even their "other" models can be a real joy. The current Maranello models are simply fantastic, V12, front engine, rear-drive, available F1 transmissions...Make mine that dark blue...or yellow?
Even older Ferrari are quite a drive, if you can get one. A friend has an old Mondial coupe that we get to run out a couple times a year, and short of the 360 Modena, there is no more entertaining for the layman.

3) Lotus
First and foremost an engineering firm, Lotus designs engines and suspensions for other companies, as well as non-automotive interests. However, any engineering firm who can carry a gorgeous Giugiaro design for 30 years, and exist through many ownership changes, then introduce the astounding Elise to the US simply HAS to have your vote.

Subaru has come a long way...the SVX is/was incredible, and the current Impreza/Forester line makes Porsches from just 10-15 years ago look absolutely tame. However, they still do not replace the halo brands in my mind, probably since I fully intend to own some of these other cars in my lifetime, and do not view them as unattainable. My SVX is simply the best car I have ever owned, in every respect, and it will only get better as I tinker with it. But, I do intend to own other cars, many of which would put it on the truck any day of the week. Still, that pearl-white SVX will still be sitting there in the garage...in the spot I park my "daily" driver.
Raxles front axles
Old 03-03-2004, 07:49 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X
Well, the redneck in me shall now be revealed.

1. Subaru (duh)
2. Pontiac
3. Chevrolet

"And second, I think the first time someone here starts slinging insults because of someones elses opinion, this thread needs to be locked for good." We've been getting into that habit too much again lately.
Woah... Don't get all defensive on your opinions... I made this thread so we could share our favorites and why... Not to make fun of other people because they like cars that are really cheap and stuff... HEHEHE just teasing ya... Have a sense of humor.... We all have our favorite choices... I'm not here to change your mind... Drive what ya want... That's how "The Land of the Free" works....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:29 AM
[BrUn]

1. Subaru (SVX)
2. Volvo (S60R)
3. Audi (RS6)

AWD for life!

.....and 4.Chevrolet, for the Corvette!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:37 AM
JLittell

Thumbs up

1. Hyundai
2. The little dudes who made the Le Car
3. Jaguar
Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Woah... Don't get all defensive on your opinions... I made this thread so we could share our favorites and why... Not to make fun of other people because they like cars that are really cheap and stuff... HEHEHEjust teasing ya... Have a sense of humor.... We all have our favorite choices... I'm not here to change your mind... Drive what ya want... That's how "The Land of the Free" works....
Sorry Chris, no defence intended ( I did admit I was a hillbilly, after all ). Your right on, this is a fun and interesting thread. But the first time we get someone in here with a comment like "Your an idiot because you like Subaru and I don't. YUGO OWNS ALL!", it's just gonna suck the fun right out if it. I'm just getting tired of that routine, that's all.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
1) Lamborghini...

2) Ferrari...

3) Lotus...
Or you could just pick the three most expensive car brands on the planet (i know there are others, too). Not that I disagree with you. I just thought it was kinda funny. I picked cars that I would buy if I could. Maybe you fit into the "could buy" category (if so, lucky you). But even if I had gobs of money, chances are slim there'd be a lambo or ferrari in my garage. I've driven a few from both stables, and while you can't argue with their performance, the build quality and reliability of these cars leaves ALOT to be desired, ESPECIALLY considering the price tag. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that if I had the choice between a diablo and a trans am, that i'd pick the T/A. No way. But I am saying that I would be happy driving a T/A as a daily driver, whereas I would be horribly uncomfortable in the diablo. The only exception to this is the 550M. I was very impressed with it and could possibly tolerate that one, but then again, even with all that money, who in the right mind would use a 550M as a daily driver?!

My favorite of the brands you mentioned would be the Lotus Esprit V8...a bit tight for me (i'm 6'2" so i have to put the seat way back and even then my head hits the roof everytime there's a bump in the road), but still a real driver's machine and a roadgoing serial killer.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
My favorite of the brands you mentioned would be the Lotus Esprit V8...a bit tight for me (i'm 6'2" so i have to put the seat way back and even then my head hits the roof everytime there's a bump in the road), but still a real driver's machine and a roadgoing serial killer.
I've always wanted an Esprit. Right now I lust for a late 1st gen turbo.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Hater

Quote:

Or you could just pick the three most expensive car brands on the planet (i know there are others, too). Not that I disagree with you. I just thought it was kinda funny. I picked cars that I would buy if I could. Maybe you fit into the "could buy" category (if so, lucky you). But even if I had gobs of money, chances are slim there'd be a lambo or ferrari in my garage. I've driven a few from both stables, and while you can't argue with their performance, the build quality and reliability of these cars leaves ALOT to be desired, ESPECIALLY considering the price tag. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that if I had the choice between a diablo and a trans am, that i'd pick the T/A. No way. But I am saying that I would be happy driving a T/A as a daily driver, whereas I would be horribly uncomfortable in the diablo. The only exception to this is the 550M. I was very impressed with it and could possibly tolerate that one, but then again, even with all that money, who in the right mind would use a 550M as a daily driver?!

some idiot drives a Modena downtown and actually parks it on the street. i am afraid of parking my SVX on the street downtown and will opt to pay the $5 to park in the garage when i work nights or weekends! if you can afford a Modena, you probably have several other cars at home for when it is in the shop. not even a bother, because i'm sure they send someone to pick it up and return it for you - even Mercedes dealers do that.

besides, no one ever designated how you should choose your favorites. that's why i had a realistic and unrealistic list.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-03-2004, 10:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The quetion was, "What are your 3 favorite car companies?"
It wasn't, "What companies make your favorite 3 cars?"

There is a big difference between those 2 questions.

My answer to the first question is (in no particular order):
1. Daimler Benz - Chrysler
2. General Motors
3. Ford

My answer to the second question is (in no particular order)
1. Subaru
2. Ferrari
3. Daimler Benz - Chrysler
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darksied-X

Sorry Chris, no defence intended ( I did admit I was a hillbilly, after all ). Your right on, this is a fun and interesting thread. But the first time we get someone in here with a comment like "Your an idiot because you like Subaru and I don't. YUGO OWNS ALL!", it's just gonna suck the fun right out if it. I'm just getting tired of that routine, that's all.
Cool... I understand... There's been alot of argueing... I admit I did alot of it... But I'm tired of it... Especially after being a member on some non moderated boards... They are just crazy!!! Yea, after seeing them and people just going nuts with noone to stop them I am kinda glad that we have a strict moderator system... I can respect other people's opinions... Some times though I just have to work alittle harder to understand why they have some opinions.. ... Well if it means anything I've owned a Chevy and been a co-owner of a Ford... They were good cars... I just like Subaru's better that's why I'm all about Subaru!!!

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Sold. :'-(

Quote:
....the build quality and reliability of these cars leaves ALOT to be desired, ESPECIALLY considering the price tag....

This is most certainly true. Lamborghini in particular is MUCh better now, with Audi's assistance, but neither comany makes the next Mercedes or Lexus, to be sure.

Quote:
I've always wanted an Esprit. Right now I lust for a late 1st gen turbo.
PM me...I know of several right now available and reasonable.
Raxles front axles
Old 03-03-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX

OMG, where the **** have you been!
school and work has been taking up a whole lot of my time, sorry, but i do read a lot of the threads!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Posting

Hi Kelly, I always wanted to see what a non-post looked like. Take care, BOBB
Old 03-03-2004, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

school and work has been taking up a whole lot of my time, sorry, but i do read a lot of the threads!

Kelli

OMG Kelli!!! I out posted you?!?!?!? That's strange... School must really be getting to ya