How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Could someone maybe draw on a picture of an engine bay, circling the things that should be covered or avoided? That would be of great help
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 03-05-2004, 07:59 AM
96svxer

Try this: He showed pics of before and after, it was amazing. The engine just sparkled. Too bad the link is dead now. I will be trying it in the summer, I am sooooo convinced.

A NSX owner showed me a really nice way to clean the engine bay. This made my engine bay look brand new. It's very time consuming.

You need two things. Gunk Foamy engite brite and Foamy Armor All for tires. They have to be the FOAMY version or else it might now work.

Wait for the engine to cool down. First spray the entire bay with the Gunk engine brite. Spray everywhere you can and let it sit for 5 mintues. Rinse with a hose with med/high pressure.

Wait 5 more minutes and spray the entire engine with the Foamy Armor All for tires. Next crank up the car, close the hood and let the engine run for 15 minutes. This will dry up the armor all and allow it to soak in, open the hood and smile.

I couldn't believe how clean my engine was after that. Only scary part was spraying the engine without covering anything up. I had no problems.

Full link of above text
Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 AM

Re: Best way to clean engine bay???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot View Post
Could someone maybe draw on a picture of an engine bay, circling the things that should be covered or avoided? That would be of great help
Sorry to drag out such an old post but I want to clean up the engine bay and want to ensure I cover/avoid the right spots.

Does anyone know of an engine bay pic which would assist?

Cheers
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

No answer yet? I'm very curious as to which product to use and if it will even matter how much I clean it in the end..

Mine looks like trolls shat in my engine bay and I'd love to clean it all out..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 AM

Hi Freeman

Most of the detailers I chat with recommend Simple Green diluted down. It is environmentally friendly and very well priced. It is what I have ready and waiting to use.

Cheers

Col
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM

The tire foam is fantastic to spray in a clean engine bay...I've been doing it for a few years and it makes all the plastic and hoses look brand new.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Ok... I highly doubt mine has been cleaned since 1992... There's an image to work off of. I need something strong and that will work. My engine manifold looks like someone shreaded rubber to the finest bits known to man, then dumped it with grease and oil on my manifold..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I covered all electrical connectors. I used a plastic coated tape like the one used for wrapping boxes. As mentioned, cover the alternator. I too used Simple Green, because it doesn't damage aluminum.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I too used Simple Green, because it doesn't damage aluminum.
BUT IT DOES attack aluminum! It will over time discolor the bright aluminum. You do not want to use Simple Green......

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Hater

Foamy Engine Brite, hose, and toothbrush, Q-tips, rags for the tough stuff..

don't use steam - it gets inside connectors. i use the steam on stuff i can remove (engine cover, caps, etc., but NOT IN the engine bay.

finish up with detailing spray and plastic/rubber/vinyl protectant.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

How long would it normally take?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 AM

Registered SVX

What do you use if the engine alloy is corroded?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I've been using brasso and about an hour a day for the past 2 weeks. Not for the faint hearted. Be prepaired to take things apart because some things just can't be reached.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
What do you use if the engine alloy is corroded?
I used a product called Duro Aluminum Jelly on my intake manifold. It was badly corroded, and this product had very good results.

2001 Audi S8
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I used a product called Duro Aluminum Jelly on my intake manifold. It was badly corroded, and this product had very good results.

That looks great, I'm going to give it a try, I was wondering what to use. Thanks!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007