Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
svx good in snow?

Well we had a couple inches of snow/sleet here in northeastern pa. I was driving my svx and i was all over the place. I drive fairly conservatively especially in bad weather and was shockingly surprised at the instability of the svx in the snow. The only thing i could think of blaming the lack of control was on the tires. I am running p225 50 toyo proxes. Do people with this same width/height tire have similar problems in the snow. I mean i am not floundering all over, but i did happen to fishtail on one turn, and slid at numerous stops. comments welcome, thanks Chris
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 PM
ChrisR

Mine handles extremely well in the snow. However, it has bridgestone Blizzaks (snow tires). Tires make a HUGE difference in the snow.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
yeah my tires are dry and wet classified. The car handles exceptionally well in dry weather, just didn't expect it to be this bad in the snow. I just have to drive a little more careful. This is the only winter my svx will be driven so i'll just nurse it the rest of the season.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Green1995SVX

my svx is a tank in the snow with my Dunlop Mud+Snow rated tires.

It must be your tires, chris.

Mike
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
My Dunlops SP5000's are mediocre in snow, but the fact that the whole car does extremely predictable 4 wheel slides is what makes the SVX very well balanced, if you have a full tank of gas, the rear end will not slide as easily.
Its all that power, and weight that makes the car slide. And of course braking can be a chalenge at times without great snow tires. I would suggest lowering your tire preasure to 25lbs for good snow traction, assuming you have lots of tread.

My advice is only for the heavy snow, low tire pressure will cause uneven tire wear on pavement.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
i'd go with the tires also, i have mud and snow rated b/f goodrich tires, and its pretty amazing in the snow, although i have noticed in some cases that pulling the ebrake will actually stop the car faster than the ABS... not all the time, but if the conditions are just right... AWD helps you go... doesn't doo much to help you stop

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I find my car does very well in the snow as long as its less than 6 inches deep. M+S tires with about 1/2 tread left.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Shot king

We got robbed last nite we were supposed to get like another 5 inches . I don't see it
Old 01-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Shot king

Whereabouts in NEPA Svxman?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
My SVX has been better....

It used to do real well in the snow but last night I had all sorts of problems. I'm assuming its my tires. It doesn't help that i have yokohama Dcbl's with only 2/32 tread left. Oh well, i'll try and make a point to get new ones soon.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
My Tires (Yokohama Avid V4s) seemed to do really well in the snow last year when they were new, this year not as well.

P.S. Ray the quote is "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I believe it was Thomas Jefferson.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-27-2004, 04:58 PM
nextcubepro

I have 18 inchers with 40 series high performance summer only tires, and when NY got 14" of snow in December, the car was great. Every car is pretty unstable in deep snow, but my SVX was more surefooted than many SUVs I was passing, and the 4 wheel drifts are awesome...fun, yet predictable.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Most cars will handle well in the snow with good snow-rated tires, but for the most part, the SVX sucks in the snow. End of story. Use the manual button while the gear selector is in 3 and this will help prevent spinouts from a standstill.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Most cars will handle well in the snow with good snow-rated tires, but for the most part, the SVX sucks in the snow. End of story. Use the manual button while the gear selector is in 3 and this will help prevent spinouts from a standstill.
Wrong. I was able to take off faster and hold the road longer with the SVX than an FX45 (yea i know but wait...), an 03 Explorer, and a Dorango. I think that making the statement the the SVX sucks in the snow is harsh, and untrue. It is at the very worst,...fair.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
My Tires (Yokohama Avid V4s) seemed to do really well in the snow last year when they were new, this year not as well.

P.S. Ray the quote is "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I believe it was Thomas Jefferson.
Thanks, i wasn't sure who said it. I know that i saw it once and it stuck with me over the years but i didn't know who said it. Thanks

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.