SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-25-2004, 12:06 AM
SVXWA

Unhappy Cold Start... Bad

Hi guys.
I own 94 LSI
Car won’t start when it’s cold out side, cranks for 5 seconds then barely starts.
You guys think its Temp Sensor?
No check engine light.
And the Temp on dash is normal.
Problem started 3 days ago.

/In Garage starts with no problems.

Suby SVX 94 LSI
HID 8000k Kid
Audiobahn System

Last edited by SVXWA; 01-25-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:29 AM

Leave it in the garage!

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 01-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yes it sounds like the coolant temperature sensor.

Part# 22630AA041
Old 01-25-2004, 02:06 PM
SVXWA

Talking

Thx guys.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:49 PM
SVXWA

Hmmm I just replaced Temp Sensor and still same thing.
Any ideas?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 PM
A Little bit less Junior

If it was REAL cold when you noticed the problem, it may be condensation freezing on your injectors. There are replacements available. See the other thread in this section about start but won't run. (SVX in distress.....)

Rob

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
SVXWA

Car was in garage and it did same thing crank for 6 sec then started.
When car is worm starts with no problems.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
SVXWA

Unhappy

I just got call from local shop, they said its Crankshaft Sensor 160 bucks
Old 01-28-2004, 01:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm sorry to hear that. The crank angle sensor would have been my second guess after the coolant sensor. I think that the dealer in MI told me that crank angle sensors and coolant sensors on the Legacy are common enough failures that they sell both in a kit.

You know, it seems to me that there's no good reason for the crank angle sensor to be so expensive for the SVX. When I had to buy the coolant temp sensors for both my SVX and my Legacy, they were the same part numbers but the SVX's was more expensive. That is, until I pointed that out to the guy behind the counter.

Before you pay the dealer, have them check to see if that part fits a Legacy - I bet it is, and for a cheaper price, too.

Oh, and I wanted to address this:

You guys think its Temp Sensor?
No check engine light.
And the Temp on dash is normal.

Even if the common temp sensor fails, you wouldn't notice a change in the gauge's readings. That's because there are two of them - one to tell the ECU the water temp, and another just for the gauge. The one for the gauge is way more expensive, but is not a common failure.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
SVXWA

Angry

Hey.
I just got my car back from shop; i paid $180 for sensor.
Total was $290 with labor.
Car starts like new.

I replace so much stuff for this car
(Alternator, Powersteering pump, O2 Sensor, Knock Sensor, CrankSensor)
I wish I had Honda or Toyota.

My car.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/389539

Last edited by SVXWA; 01-28-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXWA
Hey.
I just got my car back from shop; i paid $180 for sensor.
Total was $290 with labor.
Car starts like new.

I replace so much stuff for this car
(Alternator, Powersteering pump, O2 Sensor, Knock Sensor, CrankSensor)
I wish I had Honda or Toyota.
I had a Toyota (MR2) before my SVX. My driveway also has a Toyota (4Runner - wife's) and a Lexus (ES300 - daughter's).

In 23 months of SVX ownership I've replaced: Transaxle, alternator, A/C compressor, water pump, timing belt, security system, rear struts, one rear wheel bearing, then the usual suspects like battery, hoses, tires, etc. Plus had to make custom circuitry to get the A/C to work, or would have had to buy new ECU.

Still I'm pretty happy with the SVX, my wife wants me to buy a Lexus SC coupe (the older SC300 or 400), but I said no. At this point I believe I would only consider giving up the SVX for a Porsche Carrera 4 with the proper price/condition stipulations.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:56 PM
greg

Angry It must be nice!

I think that you guys have it made! I would trade places with anyone of you right now!

This is my second SVX and the first was no problems (I could kick myself in the butt for trading it off!) This one is a money pti, but I just keep at it figuring at some point or another I will have replaced everything and will have a new car! At this yearly service interval I will not see the car for several months and when he returns, ahhhh, like brand new.

At this point I will have fixed/replaced:
four struts, I am on my fourth transmission in two years and still having to replace the duty solenoid D, a stabilizer bar and lever, ball joint, rack and cushions, combination switch, security (not getting yet), rotors, crankshaft seal (for the second time in two years), timming belt (second time in a year), valve cover gaskets, cam shaft seals, all drive belts, CV axel, and tires because of the suspension problems for the second time this year, and some other various small problems that will be addressed. Lets not forget the wheel bearings that were done, the power steering infamous o-ring, the hose from the pump to the rack, the starter, the alternator twice(advance sells crappy ones but at least they are lifetime guarenteed), repainted wheel, hood, and front bumper (still needs top and doors repainted) replaced all parts associated with the shifter including the electronics, and of course the oil changes, tranmission flushes, the addition of the tranny cooler, the cooling system flush, new water pump, and brakes. I guess I have forgot a few things but a list that big I tend to forget a thing or two. (after this year I will have invested $5,000 for the car $4,000 for the trannys, $2,000 for paint work, and $8,000 for everything else (some things having to be done twice, I think the dealer here charged me for a water pump, crank seal, timming but never did any of the work, they have ripped me hard! They told me the duty solenoid was motor mounts gone bad!! EEEKKK! so just to be sure they removed bolts from the rear of the mounts for the extra jolt!)

Anyone want to trade places?

Last edited by greg; 01-28-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:15 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'm sorry to hear that. The crank angle sensor would have been my second guess after the coolant sensor. I think that the dealer in MI told me that crank angle sensors and coolant sensors on the Legacy are common enough failures that they sell both in a kit.

You know, it seems to me that there's no good reason for the crank angle sensor to be so expensive for the SVX. When I had to buy the coolant temp sensors for both my SVX and my Legacy, they were the same part numbers but the SVX's was more expensive. That is, until I pointed that out to the guy behind the counter.

Before you pay the dealer, have them check to see if that part fits a Legacy - I bet it is, and for a cheaper price, too.

Legacy cam and crank sensors were recalled a few years ago, and the replacments were shipped as a kit: one cam sensor and one crank sensor in each box. This is probably what the dealer was trying to tell you. The kit fits 95 and on Legacys and only costs about $45 (That's TWO sensors!). The early Legacys (90-94) and the SVX use sensors that are different than the newer, much cheaper ones. 90-94 Legacys and the SVX use the same temp sensor, knock sensor, cam sensor, and crank sensor (and probably some others that I can't think of). The temp sensor is pretty cheap, but the cam and crank, as previously mentioned, are expensive.

Also, if your dealer is trying to charge you more for Legacy parts just because they happen to also fit an SVX.......it's time to shop elsewhere. Green1995SVX and I both work at dealerships and can get you great deals on new parts if you need anything in the future.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 01-31-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
What kind of price can you get on a pair of oxygen sensors?
Read the codes today on mine and found both were bad. So far subaruparts.com is cheapest I can find for OEM online.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:40 PM
red95svx

The problem with Subaruparts.com is that they kill you on shipping. I just looked at their prices for two O2 sensors plus shipping.....$201.08. That's 91.40 each for the sensors and 18.28 for shipping (that's the cheapest shipping method).

I can sell you those sensors for about $80 each plus maybe $5 shipping ($165.00 total). That saves you about $36. And yes, these are genuine Subaru parts I'm talking about. I'm always giving deals to guys who come in to my dealership with SVX's.

Patrick Subaru 1-800-367-7222

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 02-01-2004 at 03:52 PM.