Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 06:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
ECT sensor exchangability

I need a new engine coolant temp sensor, and going to the nearest place with one, they say its listed for 94-97 for the SVX. I presume they are interchangable? could some one comment on this to get rid of my doubts?

Also, some one has described to me the location of this little thing on the engine, but I in my infinate ignorance don't feel fully comfortable on which part to pull. there seem to be 3-4 things in the general area which look to have the same electrical connections. or the same type at least. its 10 below and the car is outside. its hard to work on... So could some one give a more ellaborate discription on its location? so a 5 year old could get it.

Last edited by zavikan; 01-13-2004 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:54 AM
JoesSVX

WTS

In my '92 manual, it's officially called a water temperature sensor.
It is at connector E24 and it's a brown connector with 2 wires.

If you're standing on the left side of the car with the hood open, look at the top rear of the engine, on the left side of the block, below the throttle body area. Look for the brown connector. Remove the connector, loosen the sensor and you should see coolant (and maybe some trapped residue). It should only drain a small amount, as it is up high. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
easier said than done.

Hooooly crap that wasn't easy to get that little plastic connector off, in -20 below, wind, and snow. while being outside, and a lack of tools cause I am stranded 60 miles from home... Never the less I prevailed finally. didn't have to remove A single thing from it. just used an extention + deepsocket ratchet(begged off a local shop to borrow). once I got the wire plug off it it was a cinch. Buuuuuuuuut still no starting. Tonight at 4 I am biting the bullet and having the car towed to a junk shop for the night that has a heated garage. if the car doesnt start by morning, I don't know where I'll go. if its an expencive fix, this car is just gonna have to go :.... (
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

STARTING

Hi Zavikan, In super cold weather like your in, you can't just start it like you normaley do. Push on the gas pedal. Pump it a little if you have to. While you have it inside put a trickle charger on the battery. The cold cranking amps are not at ten below or lower. If its going to start it will start in a heated garage. Good luck and take care, BOBB
Old 01-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You could also put in a block heater and keep it plugged in overnight.