How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Breck SVX

CVT Subaru

At work today a Justy came in with ECVT written on the back. I asked onea the techs what that stood for, wondering if it possibly had a cvt(continuously variable transmission)...turns it did/does. I had no idea that cvts in cars that long ago. Whats the big deal with the Audi, Saturn and whoever else has one now? I've seen all these articles focusing on cvts as if they're something new. The tech said it sucked in the Justy and was only good for about 70,000-100,000 miles (sounds familiar)...afterwhich the car was pretty much rendered useless as the repairs would be well over the value of the car. He also mentioned something about Fuji Heavy Industries having the patent on the technology used for incorporating cvts into automotive applications. I'm not very familiar with patent laws but is it possible that Subaru had the patent on it but their patent has since run out, hence the recent surge of cvts in cars?.

-Alex
Old 12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Hater

the big deal with the newer cars is they have CVT's that can actually handle some power. originally, CVT's just couldn't support much horsepower. the Justy was a candidate for it.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-07-2003, 01:06 AM
alacrity024

it's the same way a transmission works in a snowmobile.. pretty cool idea.. you can put yourself wherever you want in the rev band for as long as you want..

-a
Old 12-07-2003, 04:30 AM
Hater

i'd love to drive one - must feel strange. didn't one of the manufacturers (Audi?) have a mode where it "simulated" shifting so it felt a bit more conventional?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Superbeast

The Audis could have the option of setting your own vurtial shift points. So it could be set up like how ever many speeds you want (10 gear?) with any number of ratios.

The CVT idea originally appered in some wierd car from the 60 or 70's. I belive it had a drive shaft that ran to the back of the car and then to an axle with two pullys on each end that acctually had belts running to rear wheels. Not sure how it work, put i'm guessing not to well.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: CVT Subaru

Quote:
Originally posted by Breck SVX
The tech said it sucked in the Justy and was only good for about 70,000-100,000 miles (sounds familiar)...afterwhich the car was pretty much rendered useless as the repairs would be well over the value of the car.
-Alex
Like most innovations, Subaru was just a few years to early with the ECVT. It wasn't a bad unit overall if properly cared for but if you put it in an econo car (which you're lucky if the oil gets changed in every 10k based on the typical buyer) you can't expect too much in the way of longevity. It actually proved the point that it could be done and it save a ton of power. I think the 5 speed justy did 0-60 in 13s or so and the ECVT was only a second behind. That's pretty amazing considering it only had 73hp at the crank! Remember Subaru was the first with a modern FWD system in the US, the first with a telescoping steering wheel and of course you can't forget the famous hill holder.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.ritzsite.demon.nl/DAF/DAF_cars_p3.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 12-08-2003, 02:27 PM
SVX26517

didnt i build a go-kart like that.......
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I actually saw an ECVT Justy on Saturday - it looked exactly like mine, except fot the ECVT sticker.

I figure that if I could tune it (and if it could handle more power) the ECVT would be great for autocrossing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Certified Porschephile

When was the first FWD in America? Cord used FWD in the 1930's and Oldsmobile sold the 425ci 350hp Toronado with FWD starting in 1966. Later increasing it to a 385hp 455ci motor in 1968. Seems a 350+hp 4500lbs front wheel drive vehicle was a little superior to a 75hp Subaru 3600 or a 80hp Honda Civic.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
When was the first FWD in America? Cord used FWD in the 1930's and Oldsmobile sold the 425ci 350hp Toronado with FWD starting in 1966. Later increasing it to a 385hp 455ci motor in 1968. Seems a 350+hp 4500lbs front wheel drive vehicle was a little superior to a 75hp Subaru 3600 or a 80hp Honda Civic.
It was actually a French car if I remember correctly in the late teens that was the first official FWD. The Subaru though is the first using the 1/2 shaft set up that is common today. IMO there is nothing superior about an Olds over any Subaru. Remember Subaru will still be selling cars next year.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

It was actually a French car if I remember correctly in the late teens that was the first official FWD. The Subaru though is the first using the 1/2 shaft set up that is common today. IMO there is nothing superior about an Olds over any Subaru. Remember Subaru will still be selling cars next year.
Aw, SNAP!!!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Certified Porschephile

Well bob, we are talking about two different things. The 1915 Citroen was FWD. Can't find anything earlier. The 1903 Mercer used a planetary gearbox to send power to the front axle. Don't know if that qulaifies as FWD. The technology used to drive a 4500lb car with a 350hp V-8 was superior to using a 75hp 4 cyclinder was what I was refering to. We all know we've come along way since the 60's. As for Olds, it's a damn shame the idiots at GM killed off America's oldest car company due to poor management. Yes Olds was the oldest still in production, starting in 1897.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Well bob, we are talking about two different things. The 1915 Citroen was FWD. Can't find anything earlier. The 1903 Mercer used a planetary gearbox to send power to the front axle. Don't know if that qulaifies as FWD. The technology used to drive a 4500lb car with a 350hp V-8 was superior to using a 75hp 4 cyclinder was what I was refering to. We all know we've come along way since the 60's. As for Olds, it's a damn shame the idiots at GM killed off America's oldest car company due to poor management. Yes Olds was the oldest still in production, starting in 1897.
Never heard of the Mercer. I just got my info off a trivia card. They probably used the term "production" car and the Mercer didn't meet their criteria. Don't get me wrong there was a lot of great tech put out by the GM boys in the 50s and 60s. Unfotunately it was for the most part left in the 50s and 60s. As for the tech being superior I don't know about that. I've never driven one but if it uses anything like a modern fwd set up the torque steer must have sent all of 'em into the bank! I totally agree about the loss of Olds being a shame. I look at every single design in their line up and would choose it over all the over versions of the platform
Old 12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I totally agree about the loss of Olds being a shame. I look at every single design in their line up and would choose it over all the over versions of the platform

Yup - I gotta say that my old '70 Cutlass sedan was about the most indestructable vehicle I've ever owned (235K on original engine & tranny).
I remember the DAF from my days in Europe in the '60s. Nice website. Note that the production numbers of these little cars greatly exceeded the SVX.

Anyone remember Goggomobile (sp?) & the Glas Coupe?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: