SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-17-2003, 09:27 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Not really.

See, now people give the SRT4 credit, but still think the regular neon is hopeless. You're wrong. With my STOCK 97 SOHC coupe, I was EASILY able to smoke the living CRAP out of V6 Camaros and mustangs, and dust off a few Mustang GTs (the 93-97? style). I didnt' even have a cold air intake. With an intake, udp, header, mopar perf ecu, and a few other mods, you can run 13s WITH JUST BOLT ONS, and no turbo kit. With a turbo kit and NO OTHERMODS, you can run 13s. Len Aleya's STREET neon (not his race car, but his daily driver) runs 11s in STREET trim, no slicks, and it looks like a stock intense blue R/T.

So yeah, give them some respect. I'm positive that my old neon would have destroyed my SVX in a stoplight race....but then be destroyed at higher speeds by the SVX.

- Rob
How mutch do neons weigh Rob??? I've wondered this for a while now... Thier engines are nearly crap so the cars must be pretty light...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
But then, I forget so soon. Its just a "family car" with a lot of HP. That means its not respectable at all.

This is what I have been trying to say all along, but some people insist that you just can't criticize the STI. You can criticize any car as we have shown in this argument.

I have said TIME AND TIME AGAIN there is nothing wrong with the STI, if you are looking for a people carrier with some power. That's great. It looks awesome, handles well and has plenty of power. But I bet even it's creators will tell you it's not meant to compete with all out sports cars. That's my point. No matter how much power you put into it, it's not a true sports car. For instance...look at Bentleys and the like. Most of them are as fast as any Ferrari. Do you see R&T doing Ferrari vs Bentley shootouts? Never. That's ridiculous cause the cars are built with two different purposes. Same here. The STI is a pumped up economy car, the factory Camaro is just the starting point for an all out road warrior. Different? Yes.

Some of you look at the STI as an all-out sports car. So let's just agree to disagree. I have alot of respect for those who participated in this argument because with very few exceptions you all conducted yourselves like true enthusiasts. I hope i did the same. Thanks for the STI lesson. I learned alot during this "adventure", and that is my primary goal when i conduct such a discussion.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248 The STI is a pumped up economy car, the factory Camaro is just the starting point for an all out road warrior. Different? Yes.
To me any true sports car or "all out road warrior" must have an independent rear suspension. The Camaro is a live axle dinosaur that has been tune to just about it's limit. An impressive limit but not a sports car. The Corvette is an all-out road warrior and a true sports car.

The STi is a sports sedan and a kick-@$$ good one. Still not a sports car though.

Trucks have solid axle rears, sportscars have independent rears.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:36 PM

Hi!
I have followed this thread with great intress, but ......
there is one thing that don't understand (well sort of..)

-Theese "Camaros" .....??? what the heck are those??
I have understood that they cannot be the same cars sold in the rest of the world, because they are no more sportscars then a
-54 Hudson, but then how do they look like, theese American Camaros?? .... like a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, BMW, ..... or WHAT ..?????

I also cannot resist to (again) publish a tiny little thing about our own humble "house" tuner ....I mean, consider this statement made by someone not long ago ...

Quote:
I challenge ANYONE to make ANY 4cyl engine do that for ANY amount of money.
...eehh...well....ok, let's see.....eeh -ANY amount of money...?...
well..ok.....here it comes, street legal and all, but 5-cyl ...

http://www.supercars.net/garages/CitroenSM/8v2.html

(I really don't know why the link says "Citroen" .. )

http://www.dahlbackracing.se/english/main.asp

http://gear.ign.com/articles/357/357116p1.html

Ooh, yeah, sorry almost forgot,My movies

-And don't forget to send some pics on this secret "American" Camaro (funny to put such a name on this car, I mean, the other worlds Camaro handles no better than a tow-truck, and who wants to be associated with THAT??)

CYA ....

Last edited by Sonar; 12-17-2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Shot king

Angry

Quote:
The STI is a pumped up economy car
Even the slow in straight line 2.5 rs is a nice performing auto. Ya gotta stop the whole comparing these cars to there less powerful brothers. Should i bring up the 2.8 camaros of the past?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Sounds just like my girlfriend's SVX and just about every other SVX i've been in. When you get to that speed, NO car is quiet. Besides, i've hit well over 100mph in my own T/A, my friend's Camaro SS, and several other previous generation f-bodies...nothing but tires roaring and the beautiful sound of the LS-1 V8 stretching it's legs.
dude - I was poking fun for most of this but you are certifiably crazy if you think a camaro handles better at speed than an svx. I have ridden and driven in numerous new generation and old generation camaros and firebirds and they were all terrifying above 90mph. I could ride all day at 130 in an svx the same as doing 60 if the laws allowed.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
How mutch do neons weigh Rob??? I've wondered this for a while now... Thier engines are nearly crap so the cars must be pretty light...
First off their engines are not crap. With a displacement of 2.0 liters, they make 150hp with 150 ft lbs of torque, with a HUGE powerband. Try to find that in a honda/toyota/ford/whatever.

The 1st gen neons weigh about 2400 lbs.

I don't know about the 2nd gens, they're all crap.

- Rob
Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 PM

The Camaro is a live axle dinosaur that has been tune to just about it's limit.

Ever hear the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? A live axle setup is just about as sports car as you can get. It's light, cheap, rock-solid (the rear in the camaro can handle 500hp from the factory), and also conducts power more efficiently than any other setup there is. The 390hp Cobra has an independent rear and gets smoked by the 345hp live axle Trans Am. Nuff said. The last part of that statement makes me wonder if you know anything about any V8 engine. The factory Camaro SS has a 325hp LS-1 that is well capable of turning over 600hp without any mods to the lower end of the engine. This engine has won more awards than honda's entire line. Bet you didn't know that. Yeah tuned to it's limit.

The Corvette is an all-out road warrior and a true sports car.

Word. In fact, in the terms we are speaking, the Corvette could be referred to as God.

Even the slow in straight line 2.5 rs is a nice performing auto.

Did I say it wasn't?

Should i bring up the 2.8 camaros of the past?

Why not? They were at least sports cars. Albeit underpowered and overweight, they nonetheless weren't trying to be something the weren't.

dude - I was poking fun for most of this but you are certifiably crazy if you think a camaro handles better at speed than an svx.

Where did I say that? Someone was talking about creaking and rattling in the Camaro. One of my neighbors has two 1987 Trans Ams (on GTA and one GT), both are rock solid compared to any of the three SVXes i've ridden in (not to mention the 5th gen T/A's even ride BETTER than the X). However, I said nothing about handling.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Shot king

Lost Cause.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:22 PM

PEANUTS....GET YER PEANUTS.....

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 12-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Hater

my SVX is fastAr now.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rawkinsvx.jpg (95.7 KB, 73 views)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Yes and you cannot deny the connection between subarus and middle aged soccer moms.

everyone knows we're all lesbians.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 12-18-2003, 03:42 PM

Smile

-Talking about FAST .... check this out, it's really awesome !

http://media.car-videos.com/videos/f...0_vs_A160.mpeg

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 12-18-2003, 10:17 PM

my SVX is fastAr now.......

Now that is creative. Funny too.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:22 PM

everyone knows we're all lesbians.

That just made me think. To tell you the truth, I see more lesbian women driving 3rd gen (80's) camaros than mullet wearers. Is that better or worse?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: