Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
OT: Toyota Landcruiser

I think of you all as family, and this is one of the first places I go when I am looking for opinions on things. We've got a diverse group here and accumulated knowledge on just about everything.

What do you guys (and gals) think of the Toyota Landcruiser? I know the old ones are legendary off roaders and the newer ones are great luxury SUVs/status symbols.

I'm interested in the 91-96 range, any information or opinions.

Thanks!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-09-2003, 01:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'll vouch for Toyota trucks. I had a pickup that was nothing short of my best friend. It very rarely required service. Mine was also loaded with every option - and everything worked right up to the end.

There were rumors that Toyota would bring us a new Jeep-like Land Cruiser like those of old. But that was a couple years ago, and I've heard nothing since then.

I would also take a look at the Mitsubishi Montero from the same period. I can't speak for their reliability, but they're fantastic vehicles. I lusted after one for some time and almost bought it. The 4WD system is very cool - 2WD, part-time 4WD and full-time 4WD modes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-09-2003, 01:39 PM

I had an 89 Montero that was a great truck but it developed what appears to be a common valve seal leak which caused it to burn oil and ultimately forced me to get rid of it because it could not pass inspection.

Toyota is probably a better choice.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
I had an 89 Montero that was a great truck but it developed what appears to be a common valve seal leak which caused it to burn oil and ultimately forced me to get rid of it because it could not pass inspection.

Matt
In terms of overall reliability, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I thought I'd present Troy with another option that, while maybe not as reliable, is still a vehicle I'd recommend.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thanks Nick, the Montero was actually also something I was considering, especially since I believe they had a 3rd row seat option. In my opinion, Toyota is pretty much 2nd to none in reliability and I've always been a big Landcruiser fan.

Other options are welcome though, I'll shed a little more light on this to narrow down my criteria.

Without going into all the reasons, I'll state it simply that my wife and I really need a vehicle that can comfortably seat 6 or 7. We know what many will say is the most practical solution is a van, mini or otherwise, but hey, I drive an SVX so you can deduce where praticality falls on priorities. I might actually be swayed to reason, but my wife for whatever reasons, would never be.

So that pretty much leaves us with a larger SUV, but rest assured all of it's capacity would be used, and when it wasn't all being used it would be sitting in the driveway saving gas.

Only other criteria besides 3rd row seating is it would probably have to be under $20,000.

I actually know of lot of them, but about half just started having 3 rows in the last year or so, which puts the price out of reach. I'll see what people come up with though...

Thanks!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The Landcruisers are tough hombres but when something breaks you had better be caught up on your prayers. Can you say cha-ching?
Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

Matt

Come on, a Mitsu with a valve seal problem? I don't belive it!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 06-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

6-7 seater

Toyotas are decent aside from when they break down. That is one of the most complicated engines in a truck! Parts are very pricey. If you're looking for a 6-7 seater that doesn't need to tow that much what about a Volvo wagon? I know you're thinking it doesn't have the same kinda room but as far as 3rd seat comfort you might actually get me to agree to sit back there. Something I won't do in a Discover, Expoder, Expedition, Trailblazer, Land Cruiser. Plus I'm not sure who you are planning to put back there but keep in mind that there are very few regulations beyond having seat belts for 3rd seat passenger safety. To my knowledge all of the vehicles listed above aside from the volvo do not have side impact bars and other safety features you would expect to find on a vehicle made today. You're just as safe buying a SUV that doesn't have a 3rd seat and spending the $800 to have a shop put one in for ya.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:04 AM

Registered SVX
I was actually behind a Volvo wagon this morning on the way to work. We were sitting at a stoplight, and I saw the kids in the third row, so I thought of Troy.

The wagon was a V70R (I think) with AWD. Pretty neat.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE