Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Lightbulb OT forum?

I was going to post this idea in my other thread but I ended up saying an awful lot there so thought I'd give this simple idea it's own place.

This idea has come up now and then around here, and many other forum sites have similar set ups.

What if we added 2 new forums - 'New Members' and 'Off Topic'?

New Members - This would be at the top of the page and under its description would just say something like "A place for new members to check in and meet the group". There could also be some text in the email a new member gets when they register suggesting that they go to this forum first and post an introduction. This forum would basically be nothing more than a series of threads started by new members as their first post when they join the group. They could say as much or little as they want about themselves and their SVX or interest in finding an SVX, etc. Then all the other members can go in and reply to the thread and welcome them to the Network, ask them a few questions, whatever. Basically the kind of thing that goes on already when a new member joins, but with its own dedicated forum. This might encourage more new people to post an introduction than do now. It also might be cool to look back on in a year and see a list of threads, each started by a different member as their original "profile" of sorts. Could be cool.

Off Topic - This is where we talk about the SVX. HA! Gotcha! No, this would be just what it says, all Off Topic posts not relating to the SVX. I definitely think OT's are the heart and soul of this group now, we have rehashed just about everything about the SVX we can and now being here is more of just a social hangout for many. But there are still many that come here strictly for the car information, and they have mentioned that they generally ignore the OT's. Some have even went as far as to say they get mad when they are reading a technical post or question and the thread gets derailed into a joke or some other discussion. This may be a problem, but that is another issue for another time. I'm simply suggesting a OT forum for anything non-SVX related, including stuff about Subaru. General SVX Babble (as it is actually called I just noticed) would be just what it says, general discussion about the SVX that doesn't fit into the other categories of mods, tech fixes, etc. No longer would it have stuff about the new WRX, me losing my job, Rob fixing up a scooter, etc. This would not only clean up the forums a little more, it might make it easier for new members to understand how we are structured and what we like to see as far as posting.

Post your thoughts on this here and if there is enough support for the idea I will contact the admins directly and show them the support for the change (if they don't see it first). If you are not in support of this, try to change my mind.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 05-23-2003, 12:18 PM
alacrity024

i agree with the idea for an OT forum.. good call..

i don't know about a "New Users" forum though.. i think it would be a better idea to just update the hell out of the current FAQ and require all new users to read through it completely before posting .. i can think of pages and pages of information that could be added to it...

-adam
Old 05-23-2003, 01:16 PM

i'll second adam's response.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Just my opinion... But

I kind of thought that was the General Idea behind the General Babble forum. OT stuff is fine as long as we remember what keeps this group (the people not the site) connected. When we have someone come in and do nothing but TROLL as was the case with Bluewhatever... that's where the moderators step in ... make a hard decision and moderate. I've had my ups and downs here and plan to continue as long as I own my SVXen. I like the car... I like the people... I like the atmosphere here... even when I disagree with what someone says or does to their car. People know my style by now, as they know Randy ii, Larry III, RWJ, and so on through the regulars. We can all ignore what we don't like or what bothers us. I think that if we individually ignore or just not respond to those that push our buttons, because of our like-mindedness the forum will continue much as it has since we broke away from Yahoo.

I spent some time today looking over my past posts because of what "Vineboy" said in another thread. I started slow, got the feel of the site. Got my ears slapped when I went to far, and found the rhythm of the group.

On days like today, work when I'm waiting for the phone to ring on some proposals. I like to just read and catch up with my friends. You know we've learned an awful lot about each other in the past couple of years! Go back to the beginning. Read your first posts... you'll get hooked all over again and realize that this is truly a unique forum...

[almost rant/off]
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 05-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
i agree with the idea for an OT forum.. good call..

i don't know about a "New Users" forum though.. i think it would be a better idea to just update the hell out of the current FAQ and require all new users to read through it completely before posting .. i can think of pages and pages of information that could be added to it...

-adam
FAQ.?.... do we have a FAQ???
Old 05-23-2003, 01:32 PM
alacrity024

there's one out there somewhere, isn't there?

yeah

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/

it's pretty incomplete though.. maybe we could all volunteer for a section and tackle the update as a group? i've got way too much going on to add this to my repitoire (french word for "box of chardonnay")..

-adam
Old 05-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Just my opinion... But

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I kind of thought that was the General Idea behind the General Babble forum. OT stuff is fine as long as we remember what keeps this group (the people not the site) connected. When we have someone come in and do nothing but TROLL as was the case with Bluewhatever... that's where the moderators step in ... make a hard decision and moderate. I've had my ups and downs here and plan to continue as long as I own my SVXen. I like the car... I like the people... I like the atmosphere here... even when I disagree with what someone says or does to their car. People know my style by now, as they know Randy ii, Larry III, RWJ, and so on through the regulars. We can all ignore what we don't like or what bothers us. I think that if we individually ignore or just not respond to those that push our buttons, because of our like-mindedness the forum will continue much as it has since we broke away from Yahoo.

I spent some time today looking over my past posts because of what "Vineboy" said in another thread. I started slow, got the feel of the site. Got my ears slapped when I went to far, and found the rhythm of the group.

On days like today, work when I'm waiting for the phone to ring on some proposals. I like to just read and catch up with my friends. You know we've learned an awful lot about each other in the past couple of years! Go back to the beginning. Read your first posts... you'll get hooked all over again and realize that this is truly a unique forum...

[almost rant/off]
Well said! I think post of this post would read well as a response to my other "rant" thread. In that thread I brought up some of the differences and how some attitudes even from the "good guys" was hurting our atmosphere here. You bring up some good points to fix that, if you don't like something, keep your mouth shut and ignore it. Eventually they will catch on and change or go off and do their own thing. No need for all these high and mighty posts saying how everyone is ruining the family.

Yeah so back to the topic of THIS thread, currently this forum is labeled "General SVX Babble" we have just taken it to be all babble. Which has worked great, I was just thinking along the lines of a bit more separation so people can filter information better.

And no one else likes the "new member" idea? I didn't mean it would be a place for newbies to ask questions, I meant it would be where they post their one introduction thread something like, "Hi, my name is Troy and I have a 92 SVX in stock condition. I work for the government and I tell you any more I would have to kill you. I'm 30 years old and live near Seattle, WA." Something like that. Then everyone replies with the usual, "Hi Troy, welcome to the network you will find we are a crazy family with lots of interest and love this wacky car. Feel free to look around and ask any questions." You know the drill, just would put it in a place that a new person would see right away and be able to feel a bit more comfortable with that first post maybe. And like I said, would be cool to look back years later and read your first post in there. he he

Just kidding, we all have ideas and opinions, mine is just one in a sea of thousands.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 05-23-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
alacrity024

Re: Re: Just my opinion... But

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
And no one else likes the "new member" idea?
I've been to forums where new users were restricted to one or two specific posting areas until they reached a specific post count, like 50 or 100.. i don't necessarily see the value of this, but i just thought i'd contribute..

-adam
Old 05-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Just my opinion... But

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

Well said! I think post of this post would read well as a response to my other "rant" thread. In that thread I brought up some of *snip*
And no one else likes the "new member" idea?

Just kidding, we all have ideas and opinions, mine is just one in a sea of thousands.

I read that one before I got to this one.... It seemed to apply to both... (we don't have a smiley face for a shrug)

A post as long as that other one shows that even thought the chips are down, you haven't lost your enthusiasm! !!

I don’t really think we need a “new members forum”
A personal hand shake from the President should suffice!
Old 05-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Just my opinion... But

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

I've been to forums where new users were restricted to one or two specific posting areas until they reached a specific post count, like 50 or 100.. i don't necessarily see the value of this, but i just thought i'd contribute..

-adam
Yeah, I wouldn't be down with that idea either. I went back and editted the post you just quoted and added what I specifically had in mind for a new member area. Basically just somewhere that a new member could post their very first introductory post saying who they are and why they are here. And give everyone a chance to say hello. It would certainly be optional, and they would definitely have access to all areas immediately. If they were all in one area they would be easy to find too, so that anyone interested in seeing who's signing up could always go there and read about them and say hello.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I, for one, like the idea of a new member's "sign-in, please" area. I'd also like a "sightings" thread. I'd also like a wine list.
Thank you, Mac.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:36 PM
kvnobrien

Quote:
What if we added 2 new forums - 'New Members' and 'Off Topic'?
I think they are good ideas that should be considered by the board to determine if that it is necessary for our community. Are we are still showing signs of growth in membership?

Last edited by kvnobrien; 05-23-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:39 PM
kvnobrien

FAQ should be located on the site too, no?
Old 05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Member #447

Registered SVX
NOW THERE'S A COUPLE OF GOOD ONES!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I, for one, like the idea of a new member's "sign-in, please" area. I'd also like a "sightings" thread. I'd also like a wine list.
Thank you, Mac.

Ron.

I really like the sightings thread!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:31 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Having been involved in other forums from time to time, I would say that in my experience, "New Member" categories (like "Happy Birthday" categories) just don't get much play.

IMO

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>